Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1×10 chainline
  • cubist
    Free Member

I have a 1×10 xt setup with a superstar narrow wide on an xt double crank set. The drive train is noisy in the 2 biggest cogs although everything else is nice and smooth. Is this a chainline issue? I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff.

survivor

I had the same thing using an XT double. I just moved the BB spacers to adjust it inboard. You can do this or use chainring spacers.

mrphil
    Free Member

Run 3mm spacers between chain ring and crank and it will line up ok

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I swapped a BB Spacer, easy and simple to do.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

BB spacers. Have a day tinkering and it’s an easy fix

Superficial
    Free Member

I think moving bb spacers is such a bodge. It puts your feet in the wrong place relative to the seat / bars. Whilst I think it’s very unlikely I can feel a 2.5mm difference, it’s just wrong!

Much better to space the chainring IMO.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Fair point, just an easy fix with tinkering I reckon, when I do a build I get the bike all done, ride out with tools in pack and do my mechanics riding. Superficial might be right and moving a chainring could be the answer.

cubist
    Free Member

I haven’t got any bb spacers so I guess I need to find some chain ring spacers.

Thanks for advice.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

where have you put the chainring? on the outside of the tabs in the ‘normal’ place for a double or inside?

cubist
    Free Member

The crank is an XT-M785 double so the ring can only go on the inside of the tabs.

One more quick question, I plan n trying 2mm spacers so will I need longer chain ring bolts than the standard XT ones?

sillyoldman

More than likely yes. Can’t remember whether I had to on mine or not though.

You want overlap between the female part and the spider (not just the spacer) in order for it to be properly supported.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had to use 2mm spacers AND move the BB spacer to get the right chainline with that chainset.

sillyoldman

Just 2mm chainring spacers for me and that sorted it.

aether531
    Free Member

I think a lot of the noise is from the new chainring ‘meshing’ with the chain – I emailed Superstar and they said the same – as long as you have a decent chainline don’t worry too much about the noise, it’ll quieten down.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1×10 chainline’ is closed to new replies.