Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1×10, and 36t max cog. Can i get away with a short cage mech?
  • lardman
    Free Member

… or do i need a medium?

carlos
    Free Member

Running 1×9, 32 front and 12/36 cassette without issue

Do you intend to run a 36 up front as it’s not that clear? If so you’ll need a med IMO

benpinnick

Depends on the mech model. What are you after? As a rule though if its an MTB mech yes, road mech no.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    endurokid
    Free Member

If you intend running a 36 out back then you’ll be fine. I use a X0 short cage mech with an 11/36 cassette and 32t up front, no issues and shifts perfectly.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

On my MTB I run 1 x 10.

Cassette: 11:36

Chainring: 34T

Mech: X9 clutch short cage

No issues.

lardman
    Free Member

34 up front, and 36 max out back. I have the M640 one like this

I think it’s gonna work, but i don’t want to fit it if not, as i can exchange it.

Lakes_Puma

I run a Zee mech with a stubby cage on an 11-36 cassette so, yes you can get away with it.

Lakes_Puma

just looked at your link that’s the one I’m running with a 32T chainring

redthunder
    Free Member

Sorry to jump on this thread – but doing similar stuff with my drive train (4Xing my HT).

Is it possible to run a 10spd cassette on a 9spd Hope Pro freehub – I believe it just needs a spacer – is this true?

Cheers (Mrs RT).

legend
    Free Member

8, 9 and 10 speed free hubs are all the same

Superficial
    Free Member

Yup – no spacer required.

I am using a Zee (fr) mech with 11:36 cassette. Works fine on my current bike, but didn’t work properly on another frame (every other component the same). It was basically the position of the ‘notch’ on the hanger, I think.

By the way, the difference between a Zee fr (can cope with 11:36) and a Zee DH (11:26 only) is not the cage – it’s the link piece. It’s not just the length of the cage. So to answer your question, a Zee fr should be fine whereas a different short cage mech might not work.

mcnultycop

11-40 with a Zee on one, 11-36 with Zee on the other. No dramas.

lardman
    Free Member

ok, thanks for all the good replies.

Northwind

It depends on the bike design, some have more chaingrowth than others. Mine is an extreme example but on a 224 Evo, you can’t even use an 11-34T cassette with a short cage. How often you’ll run into this as a problem on a more normal bike, I don’t know.

(and before someone says, yes it was a wide range mech, yes it was in wide range mode- the short cage just has a limited amount of chainslack it can take up)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1×10, and 36t max cog. Can i get away with a short cage mech?’ is closed to new replies.