Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1×10 advice on chain device
  • cyclebiker

Hello People,

I wonder if anyone could offer me some advice? I have been riding single speed for the best part of 6 months and while I really enjoy the simplicity of the ride I have learnt that I am not built for climbing with only one gear.

So I have bought all the parts for a 1×10 conversion but there are so many different chain devices out there I am not sure what would be best, can anyone help me based on their experience?

Cheers,
    Mark.

gee
    Free Member

Hi

I’ve used an MRP 1X on 2 bikes since September. They’re excellent – simple, light and the chain stays put.

Take care on choosing a chainring though – I got MRP ones initially but suffered with chainsuck really badly. Ditched them for 2 Salsa ones which are a bit thinner – no problems now.

GB

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Something like this would work. Plenty of cheaper versions around and either BB mount or ISCG. N-Stop is another simple effective choice.

Or one of these http://www.tandems.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b0s16p27

gee
    Free Member

Hmm… I don’t think those diddy little things would be that great – have you used one? I’ve not lost the chain in a race with the MRP one (apart from when it snapped due to the bloody MRP chainrings!!!!).

GB

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I haven’t used one but know plenty of people that do. Not bad when combined with a bash.

With you on the MRP one though, love mine and never dropped a chain.

slowrider
    Free Member

It depends on the way you ride too IMO, a top only guide might not be enough to hold your chain on and offers no protection to the chain or rings if you slam them in to something. They are great for xc and a rider who is smooth but if you rag about a bit then a full guide like an e13 lg1+ makes a lot of sense.

gee
    Free Member

A bash ring doesn’t really fit on an xc race bike… Plus I run a 36t ring.

slowrider
    Free Member

True! An lg1+ has an integrated bash and can take 36t

cyclebiker

Nice, thanks for all your responses, I will have a look for the MRP device and think about my chainring choice (to be honest I had it even given this a thought).
    Cheers dudes,
    Mark

kimbers

you could pay 36 quid for an mrp one

or 14quid for one of these

i have one on a 1×9 and its excellent

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=362

cyclebiker

Done. Thanks kimbers, this looks just like the MRP one at half the price.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1×10 advice on chain device’ is closed to new replies.