Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 1x road mech on 2×11 set up?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Just completing my 2×11 drivetrain and stumbled slightly on rear mech selection. As a Double Tap user I can pick WiFli or 1x specific rear mech. But is that making any sense or technical possibility to run 1x, clutched mech on double set up?

Seen something on the Internets, that it is impossible to use 1x mech for double set up.

Is that a case?

Cheers!
    I.

joemmo
    Free Member

The important thing is the capacity of the mech, i.e. can it wrap up the length of chain you need for your full range of gearing

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

The problem seems to be not a capacity of the mech, as they can go up to 42T that is much more than standard road mech but apparently the construction that prevents it from taking up slack between big and small ring on the front.

All of this sound a bit vague to me hence my question, if anybody tried it.

Do not want to go OTT, 34T cassette with compact crankset will do me ok.

Cheers!
    I.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I can’t remember where it was but I read somewhere recently that the Sram 1x rear mech’s wouldn’t work with a 2x set-up. Not sure of the exact details but when someone tried it they could never get it to shift correctly. When they asked Sram about it they were told that it was down to the design of the 1x rear mech’s.

lawman91

The 1x sram mechs move horizontally only rather than diagonally, so cannot take up the slack

joemmo
    Free Member

The problem seems to be not a capacity of the mech, as they can go up to 42T that is much more than standard road mech but apparently the construction that prevents it from taking up slack between big and small ring on the front.

Yes, that’s the capacity – The tooth difference between gears they can accommodate. The other thing is max sprocket size.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

The 1x sram mechs move horizontally only rather than diagonally, so cannot take up the slack

And that is probably the one…

Thanks,will go for standard double rear mech and will try to push it up to 34T. My current 10 speed Rival copes with 34T up rear OK.

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘1x road mech on 2×11 set up?’ is closed to new replies.