Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 1x chain length?
  • krixmeister

Replacing the chain on my 1×11 MTB. I recall the old adage for 2x and 3x systems was “big to big, plus two links” – is that still applicable for 1x? Or what’s best method for determining chain length? This is a hard tail by the way.

honourablegeorge

I just do it by eye really – make sure the cage is at about a 45 degree angle on the biggest sprocket

theotherjonv

Basically yes, but for the record if on a FS then make sure there’s enough slack for the suspension to fully compress without tearing the mech off.

I don’t think it’s as critical nowadays to be as short as possible, with clutch mechs stopping clatter, but obvs don’t overdo it.

And I also swap chainrings sometimes, I have 34, 32 and 30 so keep the chain long enough for all (although haven’t used 34T for some time now)

rossburton
    Free Member

Some people are saying “big-big plus four” to handle chain growth from suspension and the fact that you’ll actually be using the largest range, whereas with 3x you’d never actually use big-big.

My susser has plus 2 and the mech is pretty stretched out when on the biggest sprocket, something like 4 o’clock. Seems to work and keeps it out of the way of rocks when crawling up rocky terrain but I did check chaingrowth before committing to that length.

dumbbot
    Free Member

For a hardtail, its a quicklink + 4 links…for 1×11, watch the video

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘1x chain length?’ is closed to new replies.