Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 1x chain guide
  • marczr
    Free Member

I’ve put together a 14″ kona explosif for my son with 1×8 gearing, there’s a BBG bashguard [ link ] on the outside of the 32T ring but the chain is jumping off to the inside a lot.
    Guess I need to fit some kind of chain retention device to stop this. All the ones I’ve seen seem to be overkill and expensive. I did find this picture when googling…

Anyone able to identify it? is it any good?
    Any other cheap solutions, just use a front derailleur locked down?

marczr
    Free Member

No ideas from anyone?
    Or has this this been discussed to death over the years and I’m being a numpty for not fnding what I need using the search tool?

marczr
    Free Member

Ah ha, thanks, not exactly cheap at $65. I think I will have to come up with a DIY version.

scotchegg
    Free Member
    scotchegg
    Free Member
    marczr
    Free Member

Perfect, thanks, I’ll be getting one of their XCR chain keepers, or guides, need to check BB compatibility.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

N-gear jump stop?

marczr
    Free Member

Interesting, the N-gear bumps stop seems to be designed to stop the chain coming off the inner chainring, hopefully there’s enough adjustment to reach the middle ring. A search on google certainy shows loads of images of it being used for 1x set ups. Might try that first.. as it’s the cheapest option yet, Thanks.

andypandy85
    Free Member

I have a Superstar BB mount XCR top guide for sale if that’s any good?

marczr
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, looking at the BB on my boys bike I don’t think it’s an option, will have to go with a seat tube mount device.

pembo6
    Free Member

I use an N gear jump stop, 32t ring and BBG bash. 1×8 setup.
    Not lost a chain yet on fairly full on XC circuits. Probably more “all mountain” riding.

Make sure you check the chain length. And I also got a medium cage rear mech (not clutch).

I did some research before I got it, and the N gear seems to work perfect for hardtails. The only people who seemed to have problems were full suss riders. I think coz the rear suspension makes the chain length change and loosen every bump.

pembo6
    Free Member

I use an N gear jump stop, 32t ring and BBG bash. 1×8 setup.
    Not lost a chain yet on fairly full on XC circuits. Probably more “all mountain” riding.

Make sure you check the chain length. And I also got a medium cage rear mech (not clutch).

I did some research before I got it, and the N gear seems to work perfect for hardtails. The only people who seemed to have problems were full suss riders. I think coz the rear suspension makes the chain length change and loosen every bump.

456mocha
    Free Member

I made a simple upper chain guide for my 1×9.

|http://thumbsnap.com/a7TbLJty[/img]

Made from a “DMR hinged clamp” from CRC (£2.99) plus a bolt (M5x0.8 thread, 55mm long, I think) a spring from a box file, a spacer cut from a BIC pen, two plastic discs from a cheese biscuit box, a metal washer and some adjustable spacers from an old V-brake. It works fine.

marczr
    Free Member

Thanks guys, ordered an N-gear jump stop this morning from ‘Billys’ £13 inc delivery. The ones on ebay are £6 plus £16 delivery from USA !
    Already got a BBG bash guard on the outside so the ‘Superstar’ ones wouldn’t fit without splitting them and countersinking the fixing bolt, also saw quite a few ‘it fell apart after a few rides’ type feedback. The Jump Stop should just fit and work out of the box.

deadkenny
    Free Member

See how you get on with the jump stop. You might be fine, though I found eventually the chain would somehow suck into it and jam under the stop, and I fiddled a lot with the position. It was causing a lot of rubbing too. And that was on a hard tail.

Shame I didn’t see this earlier but there’s one perfect solution to 1×10 chain drop…

Thick/Thin chainring.

Works Components, Raceface, Wolf Tooth, amongst others do them, and at the expensive end it’s the design on the XX1 and X01 also.

Get one of those, and maybe a clutch mech, and you’ll not need a guide or stop gadget again. I’ve got one (about to get one on the big bike too), and know several people with them now and not one of us had dropped a chain, and that includes one riding in the alps with it.

They’re a “of course! we should have done this ages ago” component. They did design it ages ago, very old design which is odd it’s taken so long to take off. Though they may damage the sales of guides in the process 😉

marczr
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Deadkenny, this was for my son’s bike, he’s just shy of 10 and is only riding gentle trails / cyclpaths at the mo, still had a few dropped chains though. Hopefully the jump stop will be ok.

My explosif is currently a singlespeed but I’m considering fitting a 1x set up, not seen the thick / thin chainring before, makes sense though. wish I’d seen one before buying an On One stainless single chainring a little while back. Oh well, happy with my set up for now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘1x chain guide’ is closed to new replies.