Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 1x and chainsuck
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Can you actually get proper chainsuck on 1x? I mean the kind where the chain gets jammed between the frame and the ring? I haven’t had any on my first 1x bike, not in a couple of years of riding it.

Most of the chain jamming with a triple seemed to be related to being in the little ring and having the middle catch it and jam it – or it happened during a shift. I did have those really soft XTR little rings for a while, and they developed a hook so that the chain would not release from the teeth and wrap around, but that was on the same ring so it didn’t jam in the frame, it just stopped me pedalling. I suppose this is still possible with 1x, but it’s not particularly damaging.

I’m trying to figure out how much I need to worry about clearance on my repaired frame.

mccraque

You most definitely can! Just binned an Xt8000 chainring for that reason. It had never been particularly good in deepest winter…the chain retention design seems to work a little too well in the grime. As the ring aged, it got worse (and was never good from the off)

thepurist

I had it on GX Eagle, just pootling along about 5k into a 7,5K 10% average climb so not a great deal of effort going through anything by then!  For some reason the chain dropped off and got properly wedged between the chainring and my almost new carbon frame. I needed to undo the preload NDS DUB thingy to enable the cranks to wiggle enough to get the chain out.    It’s been fine ever since and I have no idea what caused it, but at least it gave me an excuse for a breather.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve never managed it, but I change my NW chainring if it starts to drop the chain at all, and this wear probable comes before the hook type wear that may keep hold of the chain and cause CS.

molgrips
    Free Member

Damn. So now I’m worrying about chainsuck on my repaired Salsa – there’s only a few mm clearance between the ring and the stay. But maybe it’s too small even to get stuck in there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Keep on top of your chainring, it’ll never happen.

rickonwheels
    Free Member

I had it on my 1x when I put a new chain on, confused the hell out of me as it all ran smoothly on the stand but the chain would refuse to let go of the front chain ring and pull the derailleur tight when I tried to pedal it, resulting in a crunch and then the chain coming off. On closer inspection, the teeth on my chainring had worn into hook shapes, so replaced it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘1x and chainsuck’ is closed to new replies.