1st ride with new chain and it failed twice in two different locations

Home Forum Bike Forum 1st ride with new chain and it failed twice in two different locations

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 1st ride with new chain and it failed twice in two different locations
  • daver27

Where was the first break? did it occur on the joining pin? were you using a joining pin or a split link?

shimano chain

There’s the problem. I’ve always found SRAM chains to be far more robust.

Though breaking twice on the first ride does sound like some other issue is present. I’d double check chain length to be sure.

Premier Icon portlyone
    Subscriber

How did you measure the chain length?

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

If I was you I wouldn’t go to those two locations again

cynic-al

Who joined the chain? What other parts were replaced?

I would’nt believe anyone who says one brand of chain breaks less than any other unless they at least have a decent amount of lbs experience (see “sample size”)

daver27

i’ve never had an issue with a shimano chain other than noise, XT chains are as heavy duty as you need.
    the reason i asked the questions is this:

If it broke at the join initially, then it wasn’t joined properly, so not much chance of a warranty/refund (if you did it yourself)
    The second failure was probably caused by the first damaging another part of the chain.
    If you used a quick link, was it the right width for the chain? was it SRAM, was it new? SRAM ones are only meant to be joined once. and if you used a quick link on a SHimano chain, not much chance of a warranty.
    However, if you had a shop install it and it broke on the join then you would be well within your rights to get a warranty.
    Also, you mentioned you’ve just gone 1×10, have you amended you chainline? i always find i need to move the whole chainset inboard a 1mm to correct it when going 1 x 10.

daveh

😆 😈

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

richmtb – Member

Posted 46 minutes ago # Report-Post
    😛 😆 😀

I reckon thats the funniest thing you’ve ever said, and I’ve known you for years !

Hi guys,

As the above says 1st ride with a new shimano chain last night and it failed twice during my loop of just 19km both times when I was riding uphill. 1st was 50 yards from the car!

I’m pretty certain chain was the right length but I’ve just started running a 1×10 set up with 34t front and a 11-36 rear so I’m not sure if this type of set up puts any additional strain on the chain in comparison to a 2×10 I’ve historically run on old bikes.

My questions are, can you claim a new chain under some kind of warranty given it failed twice on the first ride and would I be better getting a heavier duty chain than a shimano xt one?

chip

Xt chains are directional, well how you join them anyway.

You bring the open outer link over your chainring and then join to the closed link underneath if that makes sense.
    Apparently this way the chain is stronger, according to the instructions .

Also make sure you push the joining pin in in the same direction you pushed the old one out when you split it.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

I once broke a SRAM chain 400 metres into the ride, then again, at a different link 5 miles further on. I had never had bother with SRAM chains, and continue to use them with no issues since. Just a bad one I suppose.

It’s a new bike so I’ve only run it with 1×10.

Measured myself the same way I’ve always done it chain round the largest rear and the front plus 2 links with the no air in the rear shock and it fully compressed.

It’s probably a long shot trying to get it under warranty anyway and think it’s probably just a bad chain as I’ve never had any issues with shimano before.

I didn’t realise that shimano chains were directional for joining so that may have been a factor too.

I guess I’ll just send it back with damaged links and see how I get on and just pick up a new one anyway.

fr0sty125

Shit happens sometimes.

High failure rate often occurs early in a components life or late on.

They are covered under warranty just like everything else, proving it was faulty could be the difficult job.

chip

I would also add a couple of links if running 1x.

I would go big big plus two on a triple as I would never ride in big big but would be covered in case of accidental shifting into said combo.

But with 1x you will ride big big deliberately and if struggling after running out of gears you will be putting some torque through it. That Said I would rarely be riding where suspension would be fully compressed in my lowest gear.

But still I would add another couple of links.

I guess I’ll just send it back with damaged links and see how I get on and just pick up a new one anyway.

If you’re buying a new chain anyway, get a KMC X10(L). They last ages, I’ve never broken one and come with a reusable powerlink. I use the gold ones because they’re particularly corrosion resistant.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘1st ride with new chain and it failed twice in two different locations’ is closed to new replies.