Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • £1k to spend… On what??
  • canyonmark
    Free Member

I currently ride a canyon strive AL 8.0 race, which is epic at smashing everything in it’s path, however it is not great for slogging out 30+ mile pedal fests

So I’m looking to spend £1k via C2W on a more XC focused rig

To get the right spec, full sus is out of the question at that budget… Fatbike and cyclocross – the novelty would wear off quick!! So I’m thinking an aggressive hardtail…

Ideally 650b but I’d go 29er for the right bike

Some options (with concerns):

Commencal meta AM – shite drivetrain
    Vitus sentier vrs 275
    On one 45650b x9
    Orange clockwork 120 – shite forks
    Orange clockwork 120 s – if I can get it for the right price (Je James have it for 1060)

In a perfect world I’d go orange crush AM or nukeproof scout but they’re out of budget

Any thoughts on the above or any other options?

Thanks!!

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Giant Talon 0 at £999

chakaping
    Free Member

On one parkwood?

A decent slack 29er ht will be better up and downhill and on the flat, just not as good at jumping and really tight trails.

canyonmark
    Free Member

Thanks will have a look…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bird Zero.3 will come in just under £1k and still a great spec for the money if more at the budget end of their offerings. Or for not much more you can have a cracking set up.

Zeros tick the 650b & aggressive boxes.

shermer75
    Free Member

Go for a drive in the middle lane?

andyl
    Free Member

So I’m looking to spend £1k via C2W

A nice commuting bike with panniers and mud guards?

BigDummy
    Free Member

a more XC focused rig

Stop it. Just stop.

😉

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

A 456 or similar is not great for mile coverage and likely slower/harder to get about than your strive(i have owned both..) really if mile munching you want light, not too slack and dare i say it not much travel and big wheels….

core

100mm travel aluminium 29er is what you’re after at that budget I think. Something scandal like probably.

Full deore groupset and reba’s are probably just beyond your price limit, but that’s what I’d be trying to get.

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure whether to report you for potential tax evasion or use of the word “rig”!

cookeaa

As a 456 owner and fan, don’t buy a 456 (or 45650b) if you want to cover lots of miles, a Parkwood would make more sense IMO.

Also, would you rule out rigid forks? it’s a good way to lighten a bike and a larger volume front tyre will manage buzz but still roll well for distance work…

canyonmark
    Free Member

thanks for the (useful) posts guys!!

rig rig rig rig rig

canyonmark
    Free Member

@cookeaa will maybe try one, will have a look around locally to see if I can test one… hadn’t considered it so thanks!

scottfitz
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member

Bird Zero.3 will come in just under £1k and still a great spec for the money if more at the budget end of their offerings. Or for not much more you can have a cracking set up.

Zeros tick the 650b & aggressive boxes. +1

ScottChegg
    Free Member

A nice commuting bike with panniers and mud guards?

Teacher’s pet.

deadkenny
    Free Member

stevemuzzy – Member
    A 456 or similar is not great for mile coverage and likely slower/harder to get about than your strive(i have owned both..) really if mile munching you want light, not too slack and dare i say it not much travel and big wheels….

Depends how xc you’re talking. Okay I don’t have new fangled wheel size, but I’ve got a Carbon 456 and that’s my go to for all kinds including XC and I munch a fair bit of miles on it. Easy to ride. Sure I could have gone for a Whippet or whatever they do these days, but I wanted something I could also chuck about a bit. I run it with a 150 Pike. Chuck about trails, Surrey Hills even, but then goes on longer XC-ish rides most of the time.

Is an option, few hundred for a carbon frame, build up the rest. Though you’ll end up doing like I did and starts at £1k spend reusing parts, and ends up a £2k+ build after bits get replaced and upgraded 😀 . As I say though c456 is old school wheels. On One still seem unwilling to do a 650b version in carbon.

canyonmark
    Free Member

@deadkenny that’s exactly what I’m after… something less punishing on the commute and local rides, but also something I can use on the trails in winter or for shorter sessions

canyonmark
    Free Member

@all I looked at the bird and it would be spot on, although unfortunately out of stock

AlexSimon

canyonmark – Member

@all I looked at the bird and it would be spot on, although unfortunately out of stock Only temporarily I think.
    It’s just the forks that they’re waiting for.
    You could call them and see how much extra different forks would cost.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I just got one of these on c2w – not much out there sun 1k without xc30 RS forks which are pap

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-LTD-Pro-29-Mountain-Bike-2015-Hardtail-MTB_74536.htm

canyonmark
    Free Member

looks like they have new stock in… we may have a winner 🙂

giantx4
    Free Member

…the tasty little bird gets my vote!..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘£1k to spend… On what??’ is closed to new replies.