Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • £1K bog standard normal 29'' mountainbike?
  • ton

is there such a thing?
    no boost, no 1x, no bolt thru.
    just a plain normal mountain bike for riding up, over, around, along and a bit down.

idea’s please.

tom200

Scott scale?

thegreatape
    Free Member

idea’s please.

Surely if you have a browse through your order confirmation emails you can daw up a comprehensive list?

🙂

renton
    Free Member

Whyte 529 mate.

29er
    Normal gears.

mboy
    Free Member

Whyte 529

TheGingerOne

Your expectation of normal might be wrong \ out of date… bolt thru is now ‘normal’ imho for mountain bikes.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Agree with @TheGingerOne, QR is more abnormal than bolt through now. It won’t be missed.

juanghia
    Free Member

On One Inbred.

But then mine does have Enve Post, Enve bars, Carbon Wheeels and Chris King Everything else.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Surly Ogre?

ton

Agree with @TheGingerOne, QR is more abnormal than bolt through now. It won’t be missed.

in 35 years of cycling, i have never had a qr cause a single problem, both on and offroad.

i have threaded a 15mm bolt hole on a fork leg, and cracked the cinch mount on a fox 36 fork.

ton

Surly Ogre?

that is for touring. this is for offroad.

iainc

Pinnacle from Evans

this one ?

ton

too small iain. 19” for a xl is far too small.

renton
    Free Member

Ton mate the 529 is big !!!

TheGingerOne

Straight or tapered headtube then?

I never had a problem with straight, but have no issue with all my mountain bikes now being tapered. That also is now the ‘normal’.

I would also imagine that more people have failed to tighten a quick release sufficiently than have threaded a bolt through

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ton mate the 529 is big !!!

Nae disrespect, but you’re one of the last folks on here I’d take a bike recommendation from……

Sorry.

cookeaa

QR is more abnormal than bolt through now. It won’t be missed.

Apart from “Boost QR” (110/141mm)… Speaking of which:

Far enough under £1k you’d have enough change to buy a front mech…

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those Frontier framesets sitting in a box at the end of my bed, bought on a whim in last week’s sale. Seems nice enough – well finished, frame weighs 1.9kg in XL size. I was congratulating myself on buying a cheap entry into all the new standards (I’m still riding an old 26″ hardtail). However, I’ve decided to send it back – concerned about the lack of industry back-up for the Boost QR dropouts. I also see no benefit to internal gear routing on a hardtail, it’s just a maintenance headache. FWIW, I think it’d be easy enough routing a front mech cable through the dropper post cable routing, assuming you use a side swing mech.

olly2097
    Free Member

Bizango with change to boot.

snaps
    Free Member

I’m selling a brand new Santa cruz Highball XL frame in matt black.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Orange Clockwork 100.

Very “normal”.

I just built one up and it is very normal in a good way. And I’m used to 6″ 26er slack-ish full suss.

takisawa2

Genesis Core 30.

This could be you Ton.
    Bottle of Shandy Bass in the Camelbak.
    Manfully trudging up t’ Dale, hauling that there Genesis, like a wounded goat…
    It could be you.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Sbxsbi]gngb3_lifestyle_02[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

renton
    Free Member

Nae disrespect, but you’re one of the last folks on here I’d take a bike recommendation from……

Sorry.

No problems at all I understand your point however that isn’t just my opinion on it.

I believe the shop I bought mine from sold an XL model to someone north of 6 foot 5.

nerd
    Free Member

Trek superfly 5.

Euro
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

I’m sure the Whyte is a great bike but the beerless one has a point. Rode the 529 yet???

NormalMan

Spesh Rockhopper Pro?

singlespeedstu

No problems at all I understand your point however that isn’t just my opinion on it.

Did the bloke who sold it to you tell you it was teh awsumz by any chance? 😛
    Ton.
    You might need to open up your options and reconsider the no bolt through bit as there seem to be very few bike now made with qr.

renton
    Free Member

Did the bloke who sold it to you tell you it was teh awsumz by any chance?

I dont remember Mboy saying that no ????

Look Im not sure what peoples problem is here , Ton asked for a normal 29er and as I have a normal 29er I mentioned it.

As did the person below me.

Some of you lot need to get a life rather than trying to be keyboard warriors hiding behind the internet !

singlespeedstu

Need a hug? 🙂

BillOddie

Surely if you have a browse through your order confirmation emails you can daw up a comprehensive list?

Harsh but probably fair!

ton

Harsh but probably fair!

and long may my order list keep growing.

why wake up and have toast for breakfast for the rest of you life?
    **** that………….I want to try the whole menu……….. 😆

renton
    Free Member

Need a hug?

Yes please ! :mrgreen:

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Did the bloke who sold it to you tell you it was teh awsumz by any chance?

don’t remember Mboy saying that no ????

Look I’m not sure what peoples problem is here , Ton asked for a normal 29er and as I have a normal 29er I mentioned it.

As did the person below me

Hahahaha! The person who recommended it below you is the same person who sold it to you and is, in fact…..MBOY! 🙂

I have a serious question with genuine interest in your answer: If you rate the bike so highly, why have you comprehensively changed most of it’s components, seemingly before it’s even been ridden, for any length of time, at least? Isn’t is therefore just the frame that you’re recommending?

jimdubleyou

https://www.evanscycles.com/genesis-longitude-2017-mountain-bike-EV289590

I’ll have that Jones off you if it’s going cheap…

BillOddie

**** that………….I want to try the whole menu………..

Normally people don’t start a forum thread to decide between steak and pizza though…

ton

Normally people don’t start a forum thread to decide between steak and pizza though…

please explain that

chakaping
    Free Member

You might want to consider the Cotic Solaris mk2.

kaiser
    Free Member

Ton ..the Ogre is a karate monkey with braze ons (basically ) as i’m sure you know, and fits your requirements for simple off road too ..apart from the fork imho ( too harsh )
    even if you run mudguards and a rack it’s not a problem ..that’s what i do.
    why do you want yet another bike when you’ve just bought one that’ll tick the boxes?
    just fit a sus fork with lockout and your sorted.
    as you may be aware ..i’ve bought a pugsley …fat/29+ or even skinny tyred no probs . add a rack and guards ..it should do most things people of our age want !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘£1K bog standard normal 29'' mountainbike?’ is closed to new replies.