1996 Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Home Forum Bike Forum 1996 Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1996 Mountain Cycle San Andreas
  • Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

Used to keep me awake thinking about that bike in my early teenage years…

rocketman

They were pretty special back in 1996. I remember going to visit the importers in Stone where they had a decent industrial unit with about half-a-dozen San Andreases (sp) in stock. This in itself was an orgasmic experience but some of them – gasp – had been upgraded which was a bit like upgrading a MotoGP bike.

£2300 sounds about right – crazy money for a bike in those days.

j5kol

Check out this beast my mate rocked up on when we met up on saturday for a spin around our local trails. He claimed to have payed £2300 for it 17yrs ago, which i can probably appreciate as it was carrying some rather top spec kit (xtr, azonic bars, hope brakes etc…). Needless to say i was in awe of his relic even though it suffered 3 punctures in just under 18 miles of singletrack whilst my big daft 29er swallowed up every last bit of the ride and spat it out.

andrewh

[geek]None-original parts though, those forks look about 1999, maybe a little newer. The original had upside-down forks, well ahead of it’s time.
    Brakes are non-original either, I would guess about 2002/3. The original were semi-hydraulics (ie. Cable from the lever to the caliper where they activated a hydraulic piston)[/geek]
    Still very nice though

I remember lusting after those many years ago!
    What’s going on with the bars / stem on that one though? The bars look like they have a huge rise, angled forward.

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

Oh yes, I sooo wanted one of them, with the F1 USD fork as well.

Nearly had an embarrassing accident when I first saw one at the Cycle Show in Earls Court some time in the early ’90’s.

j5kol

It has bomber forks on, not sure if they are add ons ? The brakes have been retro fitted (hope twin pots). The azonic handlebars are strangely wide. Tidy machine all in all

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

Not sure what year mine was, had the bump stop for triple clamp forks behind the head tube. Was stripped and polished too so no idea what finish or colour it was originally. Bought it in 2002 so maybe same sort of age.
    Specced it with Stratos MX 6 forks, Hope brakes and Bulb hubs with Mavic 517s, bit of a dh bike type of thing.
    Mega high bb and the pivot position made it terrible to pedal around on the flat but it was ace fun when pointed down.
    Noisy as he’ll though….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1996 Mountain Cycle San Andreas’ is closed to new replies.