• This topic has 37 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 1993 exploding mountain bikes video. retro class !
  • racefaceec90

class 👍

coatesy
    Free Member

Pretty sure i’ve still got an original dvd from back in the days when I watched mtb videos.

stevied
    Free Member

How wide are those bars? 🤣
    I had one of those Dyna-Tech’s too, mine had a curved top tube though.
    edit: mine was the 853 tubing, not carbon…

hols2
    Free Member

Thank Christ for dropper posts, and short stems, and wide bars, and grippy tyres, and decent brakes.

null

zbonty

‘Another technical section’
    (Let’s ride over some sticks)😂

unclezaskar
    Free Member

Ahhh that’s great – it was videos like this and reading the early issues of MBUK that got me into cycling in the first place..

Things were so much simpler then – no worrying about dropper posts, full suspension, boost, tyre combos, electronic shifting, etc

just rock up at your local race with a bike and go… 🙂

I think this is why gravel biking is taking off because it harks back to a time when things were simpler

hols2
    Free Member

Things were so much simpler then – no worrying about… tyre combos

People didn’t sit round arguing about “what tyre for…”? Really?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I got into MTB just as this era was coming to a close (1999).

To watch videos like this from the lense of the present really shows the ‘off-road roadie’ roots of the sport.

Fascinating and hilarious in equal measure.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Rigid Marin Pine mountain hardtail, toeclips, thumbshifters, Tioga Psycho II tyres.

It was bloody awful, but I dont think I washed or had to fix it for the 18 months I had it.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Takes me Back!! I still have a ridged Diamond Back in the garage roof collecting dust. And brakes, what brakes!? Even with all your fingers pulling back you couldn’t stop in the wet!

razorrazoo

That brought back the nightmare of pre aheadset headset adjustments.

senorj

Quite amusing.
    Ahead of its time with the balance of male & female “presenters“!

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, that Pace at 6 mins!

Got that far before the adrenaline rush was just too much for me 😀

DickBarton

6.23…the first Sick bike!

kiwijohn

I still roll like that.
    dbr1

crazy-legs

That was the first MTB video I ever got. Think it was a freebie on the cover of MBUK. Still got it somewhere and my Mum still has a video player.

unclezaskar
    Free Member

I’m still retro..never really caught up with modern 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I still roll like that.

Yeah, if you get rid of those comfy arm chair forks!

racefaceec90

nice bikes kiwijohn & uncle zaskar 😎

joefm

disappointing video title. was hoping those old gates would explode

kiwijohn

It got a make over while the big bike is action.
    dbr2
    Feels like a 90’s jump bike. & no Dez an 80mm Fox doesn’t feel like a Judy DH.

finbar
    Free Member

Rigid Marin Pine mountain hardtail, toeclips, thumbshifters, Tioga Psycho II tyres.
    It was bloody awful, but I dont think I washed or had to fix it for the 18 months I had it.

Still riding one of these every day to work. Quite nice I think. Mine is 1996 though…

NormalMan

My only MTB these days is a 1997 Kona Fire Mountain given time me my one of my cycling buddies when all my bikes got stolen last summer.

molgrips
    Free Member

Was hoping for more titanium Konas.

Things were so much simpler then – no worrying about dropper posts, full suspension, boost, tyre combos, electronic shifting, etc

Magazines were still just as full of bollocks, people just obsessed over different things.

ta11pau1

OP you absolute frigging legend!

I have been looking for this dvd for a couple of years now, I watched this so many times when I had it (93, I would have been 12 so they must have included it with MBUK a few years later) that I reckon I wore out the DVD!

Looking back, I may have watched it that many times for another reason..

I vividly remember the rocky descent at 23:30, been trying to find it for ages!! How times have changed!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

& no Dez an 80mm Fox doesn’t feel like a Judy DH.

Those forks are like BoXXers compared to some old Marzocchi XC51’s 😂

I was still at school in this era and remember dreaming about owning a Kona Lava Dome. I bought one a few years back and it came with those forks on it, I remember hurtling down Smith’s combe on the Quantocks on it wondering if they were going to snap before I made it to the bottom.

I swapped them for some Project 2’s not long after that!

DezB
    Free Member

Those forks are like BoXXers compared to some old Marzocchi XC51’s

Compared to the rigid forks we had they definitely are!

muddylegs
    Free Member

Some dodgy advice in that film. Saddle height and pressure washing your bike at close range!

crazy-legs

Magazines were still just as full of bollocks, people just obsessed over different things.

Remember the endless debates about how bikes would basically fall to pieces if you went from 7sp to 8? 8sp to 9 would be nothing short of armageddon as wheels disintegrated and chains snapped.

Fun times.

kiwijohn

I’m considering going back to 9 speed.

Watty

Happy days 😍

bearnecessities

Some dodgy advice in that film.

Even for the period! At 6:30 he should have turned the wheel before rocking to see if the headset was loose.

Happy days though 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

God that video fills me with nostalgia. My brother and I were so obsessed with mountain biking that we lived, talked and dreamed nothing else until the rest of our family got sick of us. We used to do Polaris Mountain Marathons, NEMBA races and all sorts of stuff. You could shoulder one of those bikes up a mountain easily enough then ride down. I remember staying with friends in Cumbria and taking the bike up High Street; when I got back my friend, who was an outdoor pursuits instructor, couldn’t believe how far I had gone so the following week he bought a mountain bike as well. He killed himself on it on Lonscale Fell but that’s another story.

johnners
    Free Member

£30000 video camera lol!

I’m considering going back to 9 speed

Nine speed’s as far as I’ve got.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

“Attack it, really attack it…. but not too much though.”

Poopscoop

I doubt I’ll ever have as much fun as I had back then on mountain bikes. 93 was just about when I would have bought my first mtb. An Emmelle Classic. I worked at Charlie Browns and they are about the best bikes they sold back then! Lol

Then the regular Sunday morning rides started in earnest. No matter the weather, no matter how bad your hangover was. We would ride to an agreed point on the North Downs near the Medway Towns and then just ride till there was a reason to just have to head for home. Much delight was always had if someone had a niggling mechanical they just couldn’t solve. Nothing bad enough to ruin the ride. Just annoying. A randomly dropped chain would fit the bill… particularly if it happened to a rider that took such things far too seriously.😆

Learning to maintain the bike, the fact that every trail was new to us and riding with a bunch of mates that had just come into the hobby as well. I remember being well chuffed when a mate gave me his cast off Kevlar bead Smoke. I owned a FOLDING tyre! I don’t think anyone I rode with used anything other than Smoke or Darts.

Halcyon days.

I suppose I am remembering that time of my life with huge fondness as much as the biking. The biking helped though…

These early days of riding ensured that even when I didn’t have a bike for years at a time I always knew it was a pastime I would return to as I was a “mountain biker.”

The only other hobby that had ever grabbed me like that was metal detecting.

I’ve learnt that the common denominator is the countryside and the friendships made in both of those pastimes.

Happy days and thanks for posting op.

molgrips
    Free Member

As above, I had a brilliant time MTBing in those days because I could ride all day if I wanted, I had mates and no responsibilities. That’s what made it good. The bikes were shit and we had a fraction of the available trails too!

DezB
    Free Member

Yes indeed… whole days out in the countryside, every single weekend without fail, no matter what the weather. Arguments with my mate that we remember fondly now, cos he’d planned too long a route and I had a cold! Or cos we’d laughed at a crash the other had had, where they’d actually hurt themselves.. 😂 Wonderful times.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘1993 exploding mountain bikes video. retro class !’ is closed to new replies.