Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 1990s Marin Bear Valley – Bottom Bracket Width
  • fakiee
    Free Member

Hi,

Anyone got a rough idea of the BB width for the Marin Bear Valley?

I’m guessing it will be a fairly standard size for all early 1990s steel frame MTBS with shamino STI style cranks.

My guess is a 113mm width, wont have the frame for a few weeks.

Thanks,
    Andy

tomaso
    Free Member

Depends if the cranks are low profile.

paul_m

Fairly certain the BB Shell width will be 68mm, the thing you need to work out is the axle length you need and as Tomaso says that is dependent on what cranks you are going to use.

Sheldron Brown is your friend here Sheldon Brown BB Size lookup

mildbore

Wot paul_m sez. BB shell is 68mm.

fakiee
    Free Member

99% sure it will be English 68mm.

It’s the Axle width I’m after. What measurement from the crank is needed to calculate the axle width?

fakiee
    Free Member

Nice summary of bottom brackets here, it covers spindle length:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/bottom-brackets-demystified/

trumpton
    Free Member

the axle on my 1991 Marin was very wide. Cannot remember what the width was though. Found a shimano one on ebay new. Can you not just take it out and measure it? Mine had the original cranks still on it though. If you cannot measure it then sign up to retro bike website. Someone on there is bound to know.

Well done on keeping the bike running. How long have you had it and do you use it much?

I love riding xc on mine and rebuilt it after I got it for £10 from the local dump. Had good paint work on it but the chain needed replacing and I replaced the wheel bearings the tyres and the grips. I also fitted v brakes on it with full cables. Love mine 😀

pitduck
    Free Member

68mm shell 122mm spindle

NormalMan

Kind of OT but any pics? The Bear Valley was always a favourite of mine. The 1989 version being my number 1.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

if it’s 122 then should have an almost new one in the shed, pm me if it is

fakiee
    Free Member

Thanks trumpton,

I’m gonna hang on till I get the frame, from what I’ve found out online the chainline for a standard MTB frame is 47.5mm, assuming a run of the mill 3 ring crank was installed the most popular spindle length points to 113mm – but still cant be 100%

I’ve done a similar setup to you, V brakes bolt straight on, plenty of cheap 26″ tires availble on 7/8 speed gear is dirt cheap.

I was riding cycle cross and touring on a Jamis carbon renegade, but I wanted to fit heavy duty panniers for touring and I couldnt leave the Jamis out of site (while in the pub, etc)

I figured that a 1990s steel frame MTB is the best all rounder bike for me. Perfect for touring as you can fit heavy duty racks and panniers, plus mud guards and all the parts are easily replaceable not matter what country you are in.

I can fit large 26″ MTB tires which lets me ride it cross country and for gravel. And it makes the perfect commuter/pub bike, as I can sling on a heavy D lock and lock it up overnight without the fear of it getting nicked, and if it does it was a £35 bike.

fakiee
    Free Member

68mm shell 122mm spindle

Thanks @pitduck – I’ll hold you to that!

@Normal Man – its nothing special to look at, its the all black with Silver text, I think maybe a 93?

NormalMan

The ’89 was black with gold writing. I SO wanted one BITD.

sillyoldman

What chainset? That defines the axle length rather than the frame.

mildbore

Black with siver stripes was the93 Bear Valley SE

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1

68mm shell

BB axle width depends on crank

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

Will be 68mm.

As far as I can remember specialized were one of the very few to use 73mm at that time.

mildbore

I had the standard 93 bv, came with exage cranks, needed a 122mm bb azle. Think the se would have had lx cranks which I guess would be the same long axle, shorter axles came a year or two later with compact chainsete

Tim
    Free Member

68mm. Axle length depends on cranks. The standard Styx cranks would be 113 from memory

slackalice
    Free Member

Normal Man – Member
    The ’89 was black with gold writing. I SO wanted one BITD.

😀 I had one! Well, two actually, the first one was a 19″ frame and felt too big, so bought a 17″ frame and swapped everything over. Sold the first frame to a triathlete IIRC.

Shortly after that, I got a splatter paint Explosif, really loved that bike 😀

fakiee
    Free Member

@Pitduck Your are spot on for the size.  Its a 68mm 122mm width BB to the Shimano STX crank.

The model is a Marin Bear Valey SE

keir
    Free Member

As far as I can remember specialized were one of the very few to use 73mm at that time.

Saracen and GT were the two other large names using them

pitduck
    Free Member

any time i can be of service

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘1990s Marin Bear Valley – Bottom Bracket Width’ is closed to new replies.