Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 1990’s C4 Program – Whassit called
  • andy5390

It featured teams from around the world, in some sort of adventure/ultra marathon race. Included running, cycling, swimming, kayaking etc over vast mountain ranges, foresty type terrain.

It might have had some connection with Discovery channel, or something C4 got from them

Probably on, on a Saturday or Sunday morning, along with Trans World Sport (I should point out, “Trans” had nothing to do with gender back then)

Probably applicable to over 40s only

colournoise

I remember watching that, but can’t remember the name of the show.

This is a one-off documentary, but was it this same race series?

DezB
    Free Member

Just called Adventure Racing wasn’t it?

Mentioned here – https://www.sleepmonsters.com/news.php?article_id=5420

mrb123
    Free Member

I believe it was the Eco Challenge Race.

There’s a fair bit about it in the book Survival of the Fittest by Mike Stroud who was the bloke who walked across Antarctica with Ranulph Fiennes.

andy5390

I believe it was the Eco Challenge Race.

I think we have a winner, off to YouTube now for a few hours

offcumden
    Free Member

There’s a new series just started on Amazon Prime Video called: ‘World’s Toughest Race: Eco Challenge Fiji’ with Bear Grylls presenting.

Pyro

Colournoise’s link brings back memories – I was at that race working for SleepMonsters (the website DezB linked to…). I think I make a vague cameo in that vid. It was an interesting week – the Race Director said in the briefing that “the strongest team will get every single checkpoint”, and Nike took it to be true. Helly worked out you would have to drop something – even if it was just one CP – and played an absolute masterstroke.

Strangely, also, covering a race in Alaska 6 years later I shared a room with Mike Kloser from Nike.

There’s a new series just started on Amazon Prime Video called: ‘World’s Toughest Race: Eco Challenge Fiji’ with Bear Grylls presenting.

They re-launched the Eco Challenge, and teamed up with Bear to bring it to a new audience. Haven’t watched it yet, but a lot of people in the AR world took one look at the teams list when it was released and went “we know who’s going to win, then…”

jekkyl

Was it ‘Interceptor’? Featuring some Scottish guy in a leather jacket running about Suffolk in a helicopter?

Cougar

“I like it!”

thegreatape
    Free Member

We Are The Champions?

slowoldman

Not Challenge Anneka then?

somafunk

The new program on prime with bear grylls is dire, the scenery is nice though, so i advise skipping past all the long winded interviews peppered throughout the race,

jamj1974

I used to love Trans World Sport. Lots of sports not usually televised.

john_l
    Free Member

They re-launched the Eco Challenge, and teamed up with Bear to bring it to a new audience.

Apparently it’s the world’s toughest race.

To be fair, it did look pretty hard work. Worth a watch.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to watch that if it didn’t have bear Grylls presenting.

Pieface

There was one called Trailblazers that I loved, they put it on with different competitors sometimes, I remember a competition for each of the British nations represented by sports personalities, Gavin Hanson(? – Scottish Rugby player) representing Scotland and they did mountain biking, canoeing and jumping off Lion rock at Llyn Gwynant, they also did a series with competitors from different branches of the armed forces, e.g. Paratroopers, Marines and so on.

nicko74

with Bear Grylls presenting

ech, no.

jamj1974

Does anyone remember the series ‘Now Get Out of That…’?

Riksbar

Saturday mornings used to be that and High 5 with stuff like H-Ball doing the Kamikaze. Never been able to find High 5 on YouTube unfortunately.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Including kabaddi, which instantly became popular at my school. But only for a week cos it was too difficult so we all went back to playing stinger.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘1990’s C4 Program – Whassit called’ is closed to new replies.