Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 1990 Dawes Tandem bottom bracket question..
  • Mintyjim

I’ve just bought a second hand Dawes Super Galaxy Twin tandem, she is a beauty!
    Anyhoo, it has the old school cup and cone bottom brackets with Stronglight square taper cranks.

Everything is mint but the BB brings back memories (not good ones) from my childhood of continually servicing and maintaining these.

Question, can I simply exchange the existing cup and cone for a more ‘modern’ Shimano sealed square taper in the correct length?

Cheers!

rootes1

Question, can I simply exchange the existing cup and cone for a more ‘modern’ Shimano sealed square taper in the correct length?

Yes.

One thing to check though is whether the old stronlight taper is ISO or JIS (shimano is JIS).. The tapers are the same just one tapers down to a smaller square

If the BB is ISO and the cranks are ISO and you fit the ISO crank to the new JIS BB then the crank is likely to sit a bit wider..

Will be ok and if an issue then you can just get a shorter shimano BB

Mintyjim

Thanks Rootes, without physically comparing the BB end squares how can I determine whether the cranks are ISO or JIS?
    Cheers

PaulD
    Free Member

M,

Check here on SheldonBrown’s site for the crank and BB manufacturer.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

PaulD

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘1990 Dawes Tandem bottom bracket question..’ is closed to new replies.