Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1951 Ferguson t20 help
  • boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Following through on a life long dream to own an old Ferguson Tractor, I am about to own one.

However.

I have no idea what’s required to drive one on the road?

Presumably I wont need a special license for a 1951 tractor or an MOT.

but

It must appear roadworthy and assumably have some form of insurance?

Any advice gratefully received.

jeffl

No idea who does tractor insurance but Adrian Flux would be a good first port of call.

You need category F on your licence to drive a tractor.

I’m sure a Google will give you more info.

Edit: Have you been watching Car SOS?

lambrettagp

Have Car SOS done a Ferguson Tractor?!?

martymac

Afaik you can drive it on a car license, certainly that’s all i have ever had, and i come from a farm which ran slightly later 35 diesels, both 3 and 4 cylinder engines.
    And, will it need to be registered so you can get a number plate?
    T20s were taken to the south pole iirc. Rev limiters were raised from 2000 up to 3000rpm at altitude on antarctica, I’m pretty sure i read that somewhere.
    I’d quite enjoy some pictures.

jeffl
    welshfarmer91

Full licence would be fine though depending on your age you may need a trailer test to do any towing on the road. Insurance and a number plate also needed, it was common for older tractors not to have a v5. You don’t need an MOT but it needs to be in a roadworthy condition.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Category F on your driving licence includes trailers and trailed implements behind a tractor. No separate trailer test required 😉

kerley
    Free Member

I always wanted to drive a tractor around to hold up all those drivers that get frustrated at cyclists holding them up 🙂

I would go got a Lamborghini tractor though just because.

spandex_bob

If you’ve not got a V5, the fergie owners club has a chap who’s role is to basically walk you through the process with DVLA. I think they even hold the factory production records so can certify to the powers of be the age of your tractor.

We’ve got one too, but despite buying it 3yrs ago have yet to get it on the road!

2021-06-12_07-36-27

slowol

NFU is a regular port of call for non standard insurance. Should understand tractors at least! Otherwise I guess the owners club may have deals / sponsors. Adrian Flux insure stuff but IME were pricey. Other mates got better deals from NFU. YMMV.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1951 Ferguson t20 help’ is closed to new replies.