Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 1917 film, very disappointed.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

First off `i did a search on here, then google for threads on here, I know there must of been a few but no joy, so here goes.

What an absolute load of bollocks, basically a re hashed Dunkirk about a different war, the whole way through all I could think of was how similar the camera work & soundtrack were, then there was the plot, please tell me I’m not alone in being shocked at how bad this film is compared to the expectations from reviews & awards, it was shit (or at least it had been done before).
    / mild rant

peterno51

I thought it was much better than Dunkirk, and did a better job of the ‘single shot’ thing. But you know, different strokes.

A little bit of poo came out when the booby trap went off.

stumpyjon

Saw it at the cinema, thought the story was poor, it killed a couple of hours but wasn’t great.

tinribz
    Free Member

I’d low expections and found it watchable.

davros

Pure cinema. Like Dunkirk, it has to be see on the big screen. What made 1917 so great is the immersive quality. I suspect it would be underwhelming viewed at home, unless you have a sweet home cine set up.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

running and gunning

skink2020

Nothing much happens in it. I kept waiting for…something….

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The milk thing is really doing my head in, man finds mike(that would of been more interesting) milk on an abandoned & obliterated farm that is still fresh & then finds a random baby that needs it, totally ruined it for me (along with a good few other things).
    Was the producer chasing The hurt locker? now that was a good film of its time.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The hurt locker was utter shit!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

IvanDobski

The hurt locker was utter shit!

Really? I thought it quite groundbreaking for its time, 1917 is nothing new & a very week story.

andy8442
    Free Member

Running and gunning? Was that the plot? or style of cinematography?

robowns
    Free Member

Watched it at the cinema, quite liked it. Also saw Dunkirk at the cinema, thought it was average at best.

33tango

1917 – I’m torn. Great cinematography, weak story.

Drac

1917 is brilliant Dunkirk wasn’t. The cinematography has little resemblance given that 1917 was complied of long single takes, pretty much the first film to done in that style. It was more impressive on imax but still wonderful in 4K at home. The milk thing was odd but I think it was to get the point across the Germans weren’t long gone.

seosamh77
    Free Member

terrible film.

MoreCashThanDash

My lad went to see it and didn’t think it lived up to the hype. Appreciated the technical aspects but wasn’t drawn in to the story.

Based on that I didn’t bother, he’s a pretty good judge of films for a 16 year old

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I thought it was watchable but underwhelming. I’m also going to agree that based on how I felt when I watched the Hurtlocker last (when it was released) I thought that was much more gripping offering a whole new perspective to war.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I really enjoyed 1917. Dunkirk felt like another war film to me (albeit a good one), 1917 had a different tone. I think a big part of it was the continuous nature of the shots, for me it made the story feel much more real.

The only complaint I would really have is that the air conditioning in the cinema wasn’t very good, and it seemed to kick up a fair bit of dust at the end.

davosaurusrex

It’d be nice in this day and age if in just one war film perhaps one German who our brave heroes come into contact with doesn’t get portrayed as devious scum.

eskay

My wife loves it and I was very underwhelmed by it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s yet another war movie, what did you expect….

Drac

It’d be nice in this day and age if in just one war film perhaps one German who our brave heroes come into contact with doesn’t get portrayed as devious scum.

Inglorious Bastards.

JoJo Rabbit.

rone

It’s certainly not a bad film – but is an exercise in technical/artistic achievement rather than anything else. Certainly a decent cinematic experience.

Plenty of debate on the film thread.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Jojo Rabbit is without question the best war film I’ve ever watched.

Duggan

I thought it was great tbf

winston
    Free Member

Funny how Jo Jo was almost universally panned by the critics yet most filmgoers seem to like it whilst 1917 was a 5 star review everywhere but many viewers thought it a bit meh.

I thought 1917 was excellent cinema and it really took my breath away with some scenes. It wasnt plot driven but not all movies need to be. It had more than a few elements of They Shall Not Grow Old.

Dunkirk was pretty average but I think that suffered from too much hype…..and the Tom Hardy flight scene.

imnotverygood

Good film but I kept sitting there thinking “why don’t they get a plane to fly over and drop the message”

Drac

Good film but I kept sitting there thinking “why don’t they get a plane to fly over and drop the message”

Because it would have been ignored.

johndoh
    Free Member

I wanted to enjoy it but found some of it a bit too much to be believable and the huge changes in terrain were a bit questionable.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘1917 film, very disappointed.’ is closed to new replies.