Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 18th – 1st proper bike
  • flanners
    Free Member

Hi there

Been on this forum for years but would say I don’t even qualify as a stalker…hardly been here much tbh. So here’s my first post.
    : )

My son, doing his ‘A’ levels, supposedly (he’s a Fortnite nut – which is a worry and is maybe a topic for another post/forum), is 18 next month. Although a tad idle/glued to his PC, when I drag him out he also loves riding. We survived the red runs on our staycation hols this summer at Grizedale and Whinlatter. I also realised I can still do this!

Have promised myself I’ll get him a half-decent bike as he’s now completely out grown his Giant kiddy bike (although he still rides it to school).
    My thinking is that if he has something serious, he and I can get out more, which is what I need to be doing as not getting any younger and maybe it wil broaden his horizons a tad.

Had thought of a Boardman (hardtail) as a value proposition which I believe would be £800? or so, which sort of fits with my upper budget. Would be keen to hear any other recommendations though. He’s quite skillful/brave/stupid so am thinking of a hammerhead/low maintenance hardtail if there is something at that price.

Not averse to a used bike although clearly there will be uncertainty over condition/state if it’s been well used.

Many thanks.

desperatebicycle

Quite hard to find places with stock at the mo – Pauls Cycles is always worth a look, if they have anything in his size – https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/mountain-bikes/male/adult (some good prices on Cannondales)
    Second hand isn’t that much of a lottery, if you can shop locally and check things out. Prices are high at the moment though

andrewh
    Free Member

I got my first ‘good’ bike as a 16th birthday present (and following christmas, it was quite pricey, £175 second hand) as my parents had decided that I could have one as I had stopped growing.
    Unfortunately it turned out I hadn’t 🙁 Twenty five years later my younger and slightly smaller sister still has a nice 1993 titanium Raleigh M-Trax.
    Make sure yours really has stopped!

flanners
    Free Member

haha, sadly for him am pretty sure he has stopped. That’s why I thought it was time really…in addition to trying to change his habits.

If my taking the plunge causes another spurt I’d be quite happy with that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘18th – 1st proper bike’ is closed to new replies.