Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 18month old TV gone pop! Rights?
  • hora
    Free Member

Where do we stand. Google/Which seems to think no. Upto 6yrs but you need to prove the fault was existing(?)

Yet http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11296784/Shops-accused-of-denying-six-year-warranty-right.html

Says you do albeit an old pre-Consumer act.

Cougar

Is it reasonable to expect it to last 18 months? A branded set I’d say so, some bargain basement supermarket special maybe not?

You could always try the EU directive, 2 year warranty (though technically the CRA exceeds it).

alanl
    Free Member

Expensive or cheap model?
    What warranty?
    18 months, then I think you’d be lucky to get a replacement, or even a repair if it has a 12 month warranty.After 6 months, it is up to you to show it is a manufacturing defect, so pretty hard for most people to do that.
    Have you tried the manufacturer? I got a pleasant surprise when mine went black – it had a 5 year manufacturers warranty.

hora
    Free Member

It was a Toshiba c300£

zilog6128

Did it break “just riding along” or did something happen to it? Even decent brands can fail, I would only ever buy something like that from JL or RS with the extended warranty now as that reduces the hassle – even though as pointed out you should be entitled to 6 years (if a manufacturing defect) or the 2 year EU thing from anywhere (but they may well kick up a fuss depending on retailer)

It was a Toshiba

barely a step up from e.g. Polaroid branded stuff these days unfortunately! Which? rate them the poorest of the big brands.

jeffl

I’d expect a TV to last longer than 18 months. Previous TV lasted 10 years, current TV is about 5/6 years old. I know John Lewis give a 5 year warranty as standard on TVs. Richer sounds do a 6 year extended warranty for 10% of the purchase price and if you don’t use it they’ll refund you. Saying that looks like a lot of them include the extended warranty.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv—all/panasonic/viera-tx40dx600b/pana-tx40dx600b

BoardinBob
    deadkenny
    Free Member

Unless it went pop due to your own fault, it’s a pre-existing fault as no TV should be expected to last only 18 months. Failure at that age is not wear and tear. It’s a manufacturing or design fault.

Not fit for purpose.

hora
    Free Member

Boardinbob you’re quoting a 8yr old journalism article. I couldn’t use that.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d have thought you should be entitled to a replacement, but TBH, unless you bought from John Lewis, Richer Sounds or Costco, you may have a struggle.

scotroutes

I’ve had retailers back down at the mere mention of that EU legislation.

captmorgan
    Free Member

While the CRA is with you, you’d have to prove that it the fault was present when the set was brought.
    Which means having a independent 3rd party inspect it and provide a report, which you have to pay for and I dont believe you can claim this back.
    Add to this the time the retailer will want to inspect the set and then try to fight you, all time you’ll be without a set.

While being correct I’d ask is it worth it for a £300 tv?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/mar/25/consumernews.howtocomplain

Part of the reason for that EU legislation was to try to steer manufacturers away from making disposable products. Guardian piece says 5-6 years. I’d say 5 years is a minimum for a piece of consumer kit.

However, on a £300 purchase you’ve got to ask how much time you’re prepared to spend fighting it.

legend
    Free Member

The STW approach is just to phone John Lewis and let them sort it?

cbike
    Free Member

Happened to me with an online retailer a £500 samsung TV. Repair was attempted and failed. It Required a letter before action and I got a full refund and bought the replacement from John lewis!

Its lifetime should be as expected for a similar product.

Cougar

I’ve had retailers back down at the mere mention of that EU legislation.

As have I.

project
    Free Member

Many years ago bought an amstrad tv, really crap but cheap, took out an extended warranty, repaired twice, then the shop went bust and so did the warranty, then tv caught fire and amstrad stopped selling them.

But Argos, bought a tv and after 2years it went bang, phoned them up andf they said just get a letter from a repairer saying its broke and un repairable, and bring to any store with old tv and get a refund or a new one, great customer service.

jon1973
    Free Member

Argos are very good. We bought a toaster which stopped toasting on one side. We took it back, no store receipt, no box. It wasn’t even a model they sold any more. I think I had a credit card receipt. They just checked their back catalogue to ensure it was a model that they had sold in the past, and then replaced it with an equivalent model. If it’s a bigger retailer they tend to give you the benefit of the doubt.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, just send a man along to fetch a new one. Until it arrives, get the servants to put on a play, acting out your favourite television shows of the last year

br
    Free Member

Where did you buy it from, and have you still the receipt/online evidence?

captmorgan
    Free Member

Yeah, just send a man along to fetch a new one. Until it arrives, get the servants to put on a play, acting out your favourite television shows of the last year

Touched a nerve there did I?

Cougar

I had a similar experience with Argos. Bought a coffee machine (filter, espresso, frother combo job) which went pop after 11 months. Took it back, they didn’t have an equivalent machine so offered me two separates. I said “errr, no thanks” and they gave me a full refund on the spot.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

John Lewis warrantys are just Domestic & General ones, which you can buy for goods from anywhere if needed.

Won’t be as good a deal probably though, but possibly no more expensive than the Richer Sounds one.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not at a personal level, but I think following a year where we have seen some forum members endure some real financial hardship and I’ll fortune, the sentiment might have been a little insensitive. Don’t really mean to get arsey so early in the year, but you did ask!

Oh and a smiley,’cos that makes it all OK.
    🙂

scotroutes

Pah! £300 wouldn’t even pay for the service of a watch!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

How ever much you pay for a servicing is up to you

CountZero

Pah! £300 wouldn’t even pay for the service of a watch

Mine was less than half that, including fixing a problem created by previous work on it.
    But the watch is over forty years old, and cost maybe £40-50, so perhaps it’s excessive.
    If I paid £300 for a telly, and it went on the fritz after 18 months, I’d want it fixed or a replacement, because that’s unacceptable.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Not at a personal level, but I think following a year where we have seen some forum members endure some real financial hardship and I’ll fortune, the sentiment might have been a little insensitive. Don’t really mean to get arsey so early in the year, but you did ask!

Oh and a smiley,’cos that makes it all OK.
    🙂

Well I won’t hide behind a smiley.

I’ve no idea of the OP or anyone else on the forums financial situation. All I pointed out is that while they should fix or replace the TV it might not be that simple, it would likely need him to find someone to look at the TV, get it to them and back and pay for a report on the fault and could well be without the TV for some time while arguing the toss with the retailer all with no certainty that he will get a positive outcome.

But you chose to jump on my post and selectively quote me to make it look like I had no empathy with the op or his situation and had just said go buy a new one.

As you’re worried about being insensitive you may want to have a look at your posts and see how sensitive or helpful they are, perhaps you might want to have a afternoon nap and try getting out the other side of bed.

Merry New Year.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Erm… I didn’t selectively quote this. It was the question which elicited my response.

I should point out that throughout,I refer to your posts, nothing personal.

captmorgan
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    Erm… I didn’t selectively quote this. It was the question which elicited my response.

I should point out that throughout,I refer to your posts, nothing personal.

No that wasn’t, what about your first post, Selective quote or not?
    Let me remind you….

CharlieMungus – Member

Yeah, just send a man along to fetch a new one. Until it arrives, get the servants to put on a play, acting out your favourite television shows of the last year[/quote]

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What was your point when asking if you touched a nerve?

Also, doesn’t strike me as being particularly misrepresentative, after all, I left into the bit which said ‘whilst being correct’.

captmorgan
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    What was your point when asking if you touched a nerve?

Also, doesn’t strike me as being particularly misrepresentative, after all, I left into the bit which said ‘whilst being correct’.

I would think this is obvious.

You seem to have an issue with the suggestion that while the OP is almost certainly due a repair, replacement or refund, he may well have to spend more money to prove this and could be without the service of his TV while / if it is sorted and that buying a new one might be a more pragmatic and expedient solution.

I believe this by you flippantly suggesting that one would send out their man to resolve the issue and have staff entertain while without the telly box hence asking if the pragmatic approach touched a nerve, though perhaps I’ve misunderstood your post?

allthepies
    Free Member

Get a room you two.

One without a telly in it 🙂

bearnecessities

A toilet?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes, that’s it. I am extremely sensitive about pragmatic solutions.

takisawa2

Our Samsung packed up after 14 months.
    Samsung cited some clause that gets them out of the 2 year EU requirement. They wouldn’t even contribute to the repair cost, despite my perfectly reasonable approach.
    Luckily I remembered I’d taken out an extended warranty.

I’ll never buy that brand again, & actively dissuade folk from doing so whenever I can.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

If you get no joy returning. My son’s Toshiba went just before Christmas, it was one of the LEDs, one goes and none work, like old Christmas tree lights.

I followed a YouTube videa and fixed it for £20 myself.

Quick test is shining a torch close to the screen, turn the TV on and see if you can see anything.

hora
    Free Member

It’s just started working again. However I’ve no trust it won’t do it again (and when). Is this what sometimes happens?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Apparently it is.

I’d keep an eye on the sales for a replacement anyway.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘18month old TV gone pop! Rights?’ is closed to new replies.