Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 18650 Batteries
  • z1ppy

Anyone know of a good UK supplier with reasonable prices?
    (MTB Batteries no longer supply them due to the increased postage costs)

Would like genuine Panasonic & protected, or recommendation for comparable unit (need 4).

Not sure on capacity… I’ve read that 4x 2.6mAh units should last 2hrs on full (aprox figures) for my light, & that enough for my current needs. That said more is always good and add a future proofing, for next years higher drawing/output lights!

PS: It for my bike light… hense in the bike forum 😉

scottfitz
    Free Member
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    disco_stu
    Free Member

If you had a load of batteries from old laptops how would you find out of they were protected?

z1ppy

Scottf: I’ve heard of it before now, especially as Torchy suggests some cheap chinese batteries use repackaged laptop batteries, but guaranteeing you get 4 good ones of the same capacity and protected might not be that simple.

Interesting how the site suggest that ““Good” 18650 cells present a voltage between 2.7V and 4.1V; bad cells measure less than 2.7V”
    As without buying a capacity tested, I couldn’t see how to check a batteries any good. Anyone care to comment if it this simple?

EDIT: Yep I’m aware of Torchy, but as I’m not about to unwrap his batteries to confirm they are panasonic’s, and can’t test capacity.. I’m look for other recommendations. Thanks though

z1ppy

TBH I have several old chinese batteries I could try that on, to find the good cells, but again as there not protected (Or at least have external protection circuits) I’d much rather not…

aracer
    Free Member

Laptop batteries won’t be protected, and IME if taking them out of an old laptop will be shagged. I used to buy laptop batteries on ebay to get cells for use in lights (I had my own electronics with built in protection, so wasn’t bothered about that) and learnt from experience only to buy brand new ones as the cheap s/h ones were a waste of money.

Does it have to be a UK source? DX seems the obvious place to try.

z1ppy

… other sites I read suggest that battery only orders (not light & battery) are currently not getting through on airmail from china/HK.
    Let alone the wait (I’m impatient), though I have been lent a couple of old 18650’s, so should be able to endure that.. if batteries are being shipped.

hainman
    Free Member

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/accessories/flashlighttorch-batteries-.html
    i read on Torchys page the Xtar batteries are good ones,

scottfitz
    Free Member

Its one of my riding buddies that uses them here is what he posted on different tread:

bartimaeus – Member

I went down the ‘cheap torches’ route – which is an inexpensice way to start, and a very flexible approach when you want to upgrade.

You need 18650 cells – but as I have access to old laptops they are ‘free’. I have a £5 charger from Dealextreme, which I run with an old clockwork timer ‘just in case’… and various mounts for bars and lid are about £1.50 each…

At the moment my basic set up is a C8 XML-U3 on my bars (£16) and 2 x 501b XML-T6 torches (£8.50 each) – one on my lid and one on the bars.

I run the C8 and my lid on MED which gives a decent light for 3 hours, and use the other bar light on FULL when I want a boost. If starting new I’d go for 2 x XML-U3s as the C* XML-U3 kicks out about 800 lumens on full so is plenty bright, and another 501b XML-U3 just as they are brighter… though the MID mode driver current is one of the more important settings and you have no idea what that will be. For extended runtimes all you need is a couple of spare cells in your pack… sorted!

Best of all an ‘upgrade’ to the latest LED is around £10-20… maybe I’ll try an XML2 next!

Posted 3 months ago # Report-Post

z1ppy

bugger still looking, some chinese supplier are supposedly shipping again but DX don’t have stock of the Panasonic’s I want (£30). I can get them off ebay, but for either £40 from a UK supplier or £24 from a Indian supplier with interesting feedback… I don’t really want to use the indian supplier.

Anyone?

Stoner
    Free Member
    benp1

torchy boy on ebay
    ollie/marmaduke on here was selling battery packs for the SS x2, came with keepower cells which are good (I bought a pack myself)
    or places like flashaholics

Cheezpleez

I’ve bought cheap 18650s from Chinese suppliers. They were OK, no complaints for the price.

I’ve also bought Torchy’s own-brand 18650s which were more expensive but noticeably better.

If you’re in a rush, I’d go with Torchy

z1ppy

No rush… I started this thread a month ago & willing to wait for chinese supplier (another month!)… but would like to get some ordered (sick of waiting for DX to re-stock)

I’m aware of Battery boy, but he’s selling batteries that he claims are panasonic’s (re-covered), no cheaper than I can get branded panasonic’s or he has branded panasonic’s with no protection… I want protection 😀

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I got two 18650’s from torchy…have never had them show any issues after 90mins at the full bhuna.

stu1972
    Free Member

Shame your after protected as I have 4 spare brand spanking new genuine Panasonic NCR18650B 3400’s and 4 Panasonic CGR18650CH’s for sale 🙁

z1ppy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3VhggpAgF8&list=PLB6A92EB2A41EBB73[/video]

vs

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epgo8ixX6Wo[/video]

I prefer protection :mrgreen:

p8ddy
    Free Member

z1ppy..

If you’re buying from DX, be aware that something marked as Panasonic doesn’t mean it’ll be Panasonic. Deal extreme have a long history of selling fake stuff.

They sold “Beats by Dre” headphones for £3.00 (complete with Beats packaging and branding) – For a laugh I bought a set to hear how bad they were. The answer? Awful. I also managed to rub the logos off them. 😀

Likewise, I bought a set of Sennheiser headphones that were “Guaranteed genuine” at about 75% UK rrp. They weren’t genuine. Perfect packaging, looked very real, but again, awful awful quality.

Just be aware that the DX protected panasonic’s may be dangerous batteries that’s you’re lulled into not taking the right level of care with.

z1ppy

p8ddy I appreciate your warning but I think DX will be safer & more likely to be reasonable to deal with, than some ebay seller with interesting feedback.

My main point though, is that I’m looking for alternatives, as I can’t or won’t use either

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’ve bought from here before.
    Still from China though.

khani
    Free Member

E-Cigs use em…
    Might be worth a look..

z1ppy

thanks for the suggestions, Outdoor stores don’t have them much cheaper than UK sellers (don’t know that packaging either), and those e-cig ones are unprotected (protected have a black band round the base)

johnnystorm

Ok. So we’re straight, you’re eschewing a uk supplier used by many on here (who is upfront and explains about how his products are rebranded) in favour of a Chinese source that sell counterfeits of all sorts of products. Good luck!

khani
    Free Member

There’s two, one does seem to have a black band round the bottom.

z1ppy

Nope Jonny, I’m looking for cheaper supplier direct. Instead of trusting a self publishing seller (who is ‘just’ an individual not a company), who suggest that his kit is better and just re-branded. There’s no proof that Torchy is any better or worse than anyone else, and as he will still be buying direct from china, just like I want to… and if you bother to read my post, I won’t be buying from DX, as they don’t have the product I want… sheesh

Khani, I’m only seeing one panasonic (7 batteries in total)

khani
    Free Member

This one it says its a Panasonic in the description..
    I’m no a battery expert though so sorry if it’s not the right one..

z1ppy

ahh should have said they all have a thick black band at the top, but the protected one have a thin black band at the base too… no worries, your trying to help…

p8ddy
    Free Member

Z1ppy…

p8ddy I appreciate your warning but I think DX will be safer & more likely to be reasonable to deal with, than some ebay seller with interesting feedback.

One what basis? I’ve already demonstrated that DX sell counterfeit items. Look at some of their feedback on other items too – so the idea they’re safer is simply without basis. They are no safer than an ebay seller. And you’ll have less comeback with DX than a UK seller, for example.

And reasonable to deal with? Again if you mean ‘If something goes wrong I can return it’? That you can, but you’ll find the postage costs to China are so expensive it’s cheaper to simply bin the item and buy something else.

It’s up to you what you buy – no skin off my nose if you burn your house down, but just be aware of the risks. DX sell *counterfeit* items. There’s no discussion around that. But you’ll discount UK selling in case what they’re selling might be fake?

Good luck with your search anyway! 🙂

MarkLG
    Free Member

I’ve had a few from Ecolux on eBay. I haven’t checked how their prices compare with importing direct, but they’re genuine batteries with quick delivery.
    I’ve had Samsung 2800s and Panasonic protected 3400s from them.

z1ppy

cheers Mark, ecolux are one of the UK sellers I am looking at buying from (its there picture I’ve linked to above), but there at the top end of the price range, so I’m look at what alternatives there are. The recommendation is appreciated

womp
    Free Member

I got some NCR18650B 3400mah jobs from this guy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161168056647

edit..
    looks like those above are cheaper though

Northwind

I can recommend torchy too. Went from a trustfire alleged 2500mah to a Torchy 2000mah, funnilly enough the torchy one outburns the trustfire by damn nearly 100%.

obelix
    Free Member

Z1ppy…

One what basis? I’ve already demonstrated that DX sell counterfeit items. Look at some of their feedback on other items too – so the idea they’re safer is simply without basis. They are no safer than an ebay seller. And you’ll have less comeback with DX than a UK seller, for example.

And reasonable to deal with? Again if you mean ‘If something goes wrong I can return it’? That you can, but you’ll find the postage costs to China are so expensive it’s cheaper to simply bin the item and buy something else.

It’s up to you what you buy – no skin off my nose if you burn your house down, but just be aware of the risks. DX sell *counterfeit* items. There’s no discussion around that. But you’ll discount UK selling in case what they’re selling might be fake?

Good luck with your search anyway!

This

project
    Free Member

maplin sell them

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I use reclaimed laptop cells… I’d say about 75% are keepers, with the odd one being ‘dead’ and getting damaged by my less-than-subtle attempts to get them out.

The cells are all unprotected, but they are of good quality – I can’t say what capacity they have as I don’t have the kit to measure them, but they charge up to 4.15v, they hold their charge, and they give decent run times. It would be interesting to have a ‘known’ quality cell to compare them to… maybe I’ll buy one at some point, but a decent cell costs more than a new light!

I now have a C8 XML-U3 and 2 x 501b XM-L2s… that’s just over £30 at today’s prices.

womp
    Free Member

Just checked mine (NCR18650B 3400mah) and they are protected so £8.75 each seems ok now

lightman
    Free Member

Just a warning to anyone thinking of using reclaimed laptop cells or any cheap cells, never ever use them in multi-cell set ups, as you increase the risk (very likely) of a nice wee or big explosion.
    They’ll be fine in single cell flashlights etc…
    The iMax B6 is a nice wee charger that will tell you how good the cells are you have and if they’re compatible with others.

DX are okay for battery’s, but they do regularly get given fakes from their suppliers.
    I got some 2600mAh battery’s from Torchy a while back, and they were as advertised.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘18650 Batteries’ is closed to new replies.