• This topic has 46 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • 17 year old and car insurance- how much?
  • stumpyjon

To those above, I didn’t say don’t learn, I think the sooner the better, just questionned why it seemed to be automatic for many to get a car, for most at sixth form college they’ll have to get there via other means for most of their time as they won’t have passed, for many away at college parking is a major issue both where they live and on campus, it was 30 years ago when I went. Of course some kids will be working or commute to their education but I guess particularly the latter the number that have not got other reasonable options is in the minority.

A friend’s daughter turned 18 yesterday, has had a car for a few months, hasn’t passed yet and will be off to Imperial College in September, really dont see the point of her having her own car.

sc-xc

My lad passed not long after his 17th birthday. We got him a 1.4l turbo corsa – so proper boy racer style car. His insurance was £1600 with black box, her got around £200 back for careful driving.

He’s nearly done his 2and year old driving now with no black box…they really do teach you good habits.

This was with co-OP young drivers.

MoreCashThanDash

why it seemed to be automatic for many to get a car, for most at sixth form college

Because they have part time jobs, are involved in a few volunteering activities, their own social lives…

eskay

MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber
    why it seemed to be automatic for many to get a car, for most at sixth form college

Because they have part time jobs, are involved in a few volunteering activities, their own social lives…

And it means that we no longer have to drive them to those places. They have the independence to do it on their own.

Tom-B
    Free Member

It sounds like a fairly good price tbh! When I was 17 (2003) my insurance was over £1000 on a 1991 1 litre Fiesta that I paid £400 for. Paid for the insurance myself too with cash from my part time job!

reluctantjumper

Reluctant jumper that makes no sense you still get NCB for third party . I think your confused with fronting which is illigal because it’s fraud

Not confusing it with fronting, would never do that! One of my friend’s daughters just changed her insurance from 3rd Party to Fully Comp after 2 years driving a cheap Yaris as she bought a new Polo just before the lockdown. The insurers refused to honour the NCB she thought she had built up with them stating that she could have had loads of bumps that she hasn’t claimed for but would have on a Fully Comp policy. They won’t even issue a certificate, paper or digitally, so she can go to another company. She’s complained to the Ombudsman but with everything going on that’s not started yet hence the new car is sat on her parent’s drive having only been used for 4 days.

And it means that we no longer have to drive them to those places. They have the independence to do it on their own.

And to make up for all the times they’ve misbehaved in the prior 17-18 years they can now be called upon to pick you up from the pub when you’re too pissed to drive home yourself and can’t be bothered with the hassle of a taxi.

eskay

@reluctantjumper – yep, done that!

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘17 year old and car insurance- how much?’ is closed to new replies.