Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 160mm Yaris – too much for my Hardtail?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

I’ve currently got some 140mm Sektors fitted to my Mondraker Vantage, but have just picked up some brand new Yaris off Amazon for £250! These are at 160mm and my question is are these too long travel for my hardtail?
    I ride a mixture of enduro trails, trail centres and places like Elan Valley – am I better off reducing travel to 140mm or leave as is at 160mm and I won’t notice too much difference?
    I know I can get an airshaft to change – just wondered whether it was worth it?
    Thanks
    David

wl
    Free Member

I had a hardtail with 160mm forks and though it was good, I did find the contrast between fully extended and compressed made it a bit of a see-saw in very rough terrain. Now got a P7 with 140mm Pikes and I think it’s spot on for everything – from 30+ milers through to silly steep stuff and fast, rough natural Pennine trails. I’d be sticking with 140mm, personally. Might as well try the 160s if you’ve already bought them though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Give it a swing, if it doesn’t work for you, you can probably reduce the travel with a new air shaft, it’s not big bucks or hard to do with a bit of research.

kraken2345
    Free Member

If still under warranty be careful and try to find out what they say is the max fork travel. If you exceed this it usually voids warranty. I’d say 160 is a lot for a hardtail but won’t know till you try it.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Try it.

Personally, I don’t like loads of travel on a hardtail. Dropping the forks to 140mm is a piece of cake.

renton
    Free Member

Got a link to them on Amazon please !!

dai3015
    Free Member

Thanks all. Will look at dropping the travel to 140mm.
    Renton – they were in the Amazon warehouse as new and unused but only one set and in 27.5 flavour

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They’ll be useless, you may as well sell them to me for 200

Got 170mm X-Fusion Vengeance on my Shan and it’s fine

Dave
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-fox-36-fit-rc2/

I’ve been running 160mm on my Vantage for years. Is proper good. Yari is an ace fork too IME.

johnhe

I’ve just bought a Shan with 160mm forks. Best setup I’ve ever ridden. So 160mm is perfect on some bikes. Maybe not on others. I’ve had 100, 130, 140, 150 and now 160mm on various hardtail, and it’s just kept getting better and better. The Shan climbs better than any of my previous hardtails too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘160mm Yaris – too much for my Hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.