Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • £16,000? You could buy a bike for that!
  • wwaswas

And have just enough change for a spare inner tube.

Bike prices – getting silly. discuss.

https://singletrackworld.com/2020/02/new-pivot-switchblade-flip-your-chip-and-choose-from-29-configurations/

Rubber_Buccaneer

Relax, £16K was a mistake.  A bargain now at half that😀

weeksy

I struggle to see a value of over £2000 personally.

In fact, i’ve never paid more than £1400 … but have bought a few used.

wwaswas

Bargin.

ossify

Oooh that green colour is nice though. Those close-ups make me want to stroke it.

kimbers

Superboost rear wheel too for extra costsif you have to replace one!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Still, even corrected I see the era of the £10k bike has returned. (or £11k in this case).

Does anyone ever buy the halo model, or do they just make a couple for sponsored riders and the press fleet?

tomhoward

Does anyone ever buy the halo model

Yep.

A quick look at the Pivot owners group (or any high end brand owners group) on FB shows you they fly off the shelves.

hols2
    Free Member

I’ve always assumed they put them on the website just in case someone decides to do some drunk internet shopping. Or there could be some middle-eastern millionaire teenager who just buys expensive shit because he has no idea what anything is worth. Sell a dozen of the top-end models and that’s covered the rent for the year.

Trimix
    Free Member

Value is all relative to the individual. Whatever makes you happy x man maths = bargin 🙂

stwhannah

Lolz. I think I’m relieved it was an error. I felt remiss not going WTAFOMGTHAT’SAHOUSEINBURNLEY when I wrote the story. 🙂

wwaswas

Thanks Hannah and sorry for drawing attention to it!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve always assumed they put them on the website just in case someone decides to do some drunk internet shopping. Or there could be some middle-eastern millionaire teenager who just buys expensive shit because he has no idea what anything is worth. Sell a dozen of the top-end models and that’s covered the rent for the year.

Same here, when Intense released the Tracer SL I really wanted one, until I saw they wanted £10k for the one with the Gold Fox stuff and slightly lighter linkages (this was just before they went direct to consumer and slashed the prices).

I’ve only ever seen one in the wild, it was at BPW and being ridden by one of the Intense UK riders, I think she’s got one of the real world ones now.

reluctantjumper

Does anyone ever buy the halo model, or do they just make a couple for sponsored riders and the press fleet?

Seen a few being collected form my LBS over the years from the brands they sell, MTB and road. Their facebook feed shows top-end bikes ready for collection most weeks too. They must be doing well out of them as they’ve just moved into a new premises that’s double the size of the old one and they’re building a small trail network out the back!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

So Fox Live still exists then?? First I’ve heard of it since the press release!

DezB
    Free Member

Story links to this one from August 2018:

Pivot Cycles Breaks The $11,000 Barrier With Fox Live Valve equipped Pivot Mach 5.5!

I wonder how many $11K bikes they sold…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

do you go on car forums and ask why £2 million cars exist?

tomhoward

So Fox Live still exists then??

Seemingly only in Pivots catalogue…

I wonder how many $11K bikes they sold…

At least double figures, based on aforementioned owners group, both the 5.5 and the 4SL.

kimbers

Their facebook feed shows top-end bikes ready for collection most weeks too. They must be doing well out of them as they’ve just moved into a new premises that’s double the size of the old one and they’re building a small trail network out the back!

Pivot have always been pricey, I was told a couple of years ago (by someone whos bike shop sells them) that importer had lots sitting unsold in a warehouse because they were overpriced for the UK & didnt want them reduced

mashr

hungry monkey

do you go on car forums and ask why £2 million cars exist?

Does said £2m car have completely off the shelf componentry?

crazy-legs

case).

A mate owned a bike shop for a while that sold various high end bikes (in amongst the usual stuff) and every month he’d sell an absolute top-end DH bike to someone who had no clue what it was for, how to use it, they just had shitloads of cash. Middle Eastern folk usually, a couple of Russians here and there.

I sold a GT STS Ltd Edition once to a similar guy. He didn’t care about the adjustable suspension, geometry etc all he wanted was the most expensive bike in the shop.

sharkattack

Well you lot can speak for yourselves but I’ve been waiting for a bike that “redefines performance across every type of trail”.

I haven’t had one of those since the last one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well you lot can speak for yourselves but I’ve been waiting for a bike that “redefines performance across every type of trail”.

I haven’t had one of those since the last one.

Is there not a danger that you end up re-defining it back to the starting point?

null

slack – tick
    short stem – tick
    daft bars – tick

steve_b77
    Free Member

Plenty of top end bikes knocking about in the world outside of STW.

daern
    Free Member

Still, even corrected I see the era of the £10k bike has returned. (or £11k in this case).

Yes, because they are cheap. Really cheap.

OK, they’re not really, but if you’re a city boy who’s just had your million-pound bonus, has placed an order for a new 911, enjoyed a nice five-star week in the Maldives and now fancies a new mountain bike, are you really going to worry about whether it costs £2k, £5k or £10k? Honestly, you’re probably just going to buy what’s available there and then and in a colour you like.

It’s the same with road bikes and explains why in certain areas of the country you’ll see no end of S-Works Venges rocking up for a Sunday club ride. Even with silly prices, bikes are still relatively cheap things to buy in the larger scale of things and many of the people that buy them literally don’t care about the things that represent 99% of the discussion on here (including price!)

Still, look on the bright side – in a year’s time, we can pick these things up for 1/3 of their original price, barely used and in mint condition. Dunno about you guys, but this works for me 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

OK, they’re not really, but if you’re a city boy who’s just had your million-pound bonus, has placed an order for a new 911, enjoyed a nice five-star week in the Maldives and now fancies a new mountain bike, are you really going to worry about whether it costs £2k, £5k or £10k? Honestly, you’re probably just going to buy what’s available there and then and in a colour you like.

I’m not sure I agree, for 1 a City Boy has just been fired by CIti Bank for stealing food from the Staff Room, reports suggest he was earning between £250k and £1m year – some people are greedy, bankers mostly.

Also, I think very few people completely lose the value of money, for example when you see pics of big Hollywood stars (often a rich source of excess) on their bikes, they tend to be middle of the road type stuff.

I don’t begrudge anyone spending whatever they want on a bike, but I assumed that enthusiasts who have £10k bike money would be few and far between, plus if I was going to spend £10k I wouldn’t be buying an off-the-shelf build.

I must be wrong, because they seem to be more popular than I thought.

Of course, if we wanted to play the old ‘justified’ game, any rider who could extract the extra performance of the £10k over the £6k one, would probably be good enough they wouldn’t need to pay for the thing in the first place 😉

daern
    Free Member

I’m not sure I agree, for 1 a City Boy has just been fired by CIti Bank for stealing food from the Staff Room, reports suggest he was earning between £250k and £1m year – some people are greedy, bankers mostly.

Greedy bankers?

A typo, surely 😉

tomhoward

If I was going to spend £10k I wouldn’t be buying an off-the-shelf build.

They’re terrible value for one. Essentially the frame only price, plus all the stuff hung off it at aftermarket RRP. For all the halo bikes that get sold, I’d be surprised if many were sold at full RRP. Maybe the first few off the production line to early bird preorders, or ‘limited edition’ ones, but not mid lifecycle.

steve_b77
    Free Member

he was earning between £250k and £1m year

My heart bleeds 🤣🤣🤣

As for normal people, theres plenty of them about with a £40k car on PCP, big ass mortgage and 3 weeks abroad each year, so £10k over 3 years on interest free is naff all

ac282

I wonder how many buyers will pay list price.

The only person I know who bought £9k bike didn’t pay anything like that.

I just see £9-10k bikes as a way for manufacturers to make £4-5k look reasonable.

tomhoward

I wonder how many buyers will pay list price.

The only person I know who bought £9k bike didn’t pay anything like that.

I just see £9-10k bikes as a way for manufacturers to make £4-5k look reasonable.

I did once. It was one of the first in the country, and there was massive demand, so no discount. Don’t regret it.

Edit, having read properly… the 10k to make 5k look reasonable is having the reverse effect. People new to MTB/bikes don’t want to be mid range, so they see the 10k bike and think, ‘cant afford that, I’ll do something else’

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘£16,000? You could buy a bike for that!’ is closed to new replies.