Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 1.6 TDI Passat Estate- anyone got one…?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

…..and is it ‘woefully underpowered’ as some reviews say?

Wife is thinking about changing her car and this is up there with a Focus estate. Seen a good one locally, test drive is tomorrow.

I’ve got the Golf with the same engine which I found slightly strange at first until I got used to the gearing (30 mins) and then grew to love it. But does it work in the heavier Passat?

falkirk-mark

got a C5 1.6 estate (had the older one for 3 years also) same engine and in 4 years I have never found it underpowed. Can do 80 on motorway fully loaded up no probs

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Not driven a 1.6 but I get a 1.9 regularly from the hire company. That isn’t quick, certainly nowhere near as quick as my 2.0 petrol focus. The 1.9 is adequate, doubtful the 1.6 is going to great at over taking on country roads, but if you’re just cruising on the motorway it’s probably OK.

garage-dweller

A 1.9vag diesel on a hire car???

I thought they had retired that engine a number of years ago?

ads678

And here’s me thinking my 1.9TDI Passat was quite quick for what it is really………oh well it’s more about what I can get there rather than how quick I can get it there. It easily does 90 on the motor way down to the pyrenees though, wouldn’t fancy the 1.6 though!

beer-monster
    Free Member

Well having just personally switched from a 1.6 to a 2.0 tdi golf estate i’d go straight to the 2 litre – i get 50+ mpg compared to the 45 from the 1.6 and much more fun when you want to 🙂

headpotdog
    Free Member

I’ve had one for over a year now as a company car and it’s alright actually, but coming from an Audi A4 2.0d it took a bit of getting used to.

It’s never going to be a fast car when it’s only got a 1.6 diesel engine, but once the turbo’s spinning it’s fine. Problem is, when it’s off boost, meaning less than 1,500 revs NOTHING HAPPENS, especially if you’re on any kind of uphill slope. That poor little engine just can’t cope without the turbo.

However, you quickly learn to drive around this and then it’s just as quick as you need it to be in normal driving. On motorways it’s fine, comfortable, reasonably refined & more than capable of cruising at over 80mph and returning over 50mpg at the same time. In my opinion the handling’s better than an Audi A4 too, so it’s easy to throw it round bends and have a bit of fun with it too.

If you get an SE spec you get bluetooth stereo/ hands free kit, iPod connector, cruise control, auto start/stop, auto hold handbrake, air con, auto lights & dimming mirrors. It’s also big enough to get 5 adults & 4 dogs inside too, or several bikes in the back if you fold the seats down.

There’s also the small matter of low emissions and therefore low road/ company car tax too. Gave me a huge company car tax saving over the A4 !! It’s never going to be the most desirable car on most peoples list, and given the budget and choice on the company car list I’d definately prefer a BMW 3 or 5 Touring, but overall I actually quite like it 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

How much power is the 1.6
    I had a r plate passat for a few years and although its was 1.9 tdi was only 90 bhp
    Quick no not at all
    But just sit back and cruise along in comfort
    Would sit at 80 all day long

mikertroid
    Free Member

I have a 1.6 TDI golf and it’s not too bad for power, however my 2.0 TDI Beemer gets the same mpg and is much more rapid….

My friends have 1.9 and 2.0 TDI golfs and they get better mpg than I do in my 1.6. And I don’t drive it quickly, unlike the Beemer.

The golf is a fantastic commuting car however and the relaxed engine enhances that.

headpotdog
    Free Member

The 1.6Tdi Passat is 105bhp, but the more important figure is the torque at 184 lb/ft as that’s what really makes it move in normal driving. If I really try hard I can get high 50mpg’s and a tank normally takes me over 700 miles. Not too shabby for a big car 😉

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve got the same engine in a MK7 Golf and when I do a run to the office in Scotland and back I average about 63 MPG over the 600 miles so the engine is massively efficient.

Certainly just a case of learning to drive the engine to its gearing, especially in the Golf with the 5 speed box.

sv

The 140horse one is much easier to drive and you do need to keep the 1.6 spinning to make it go. I get the same mpg from the 2.0 as I did from the 1.6.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks all. Yeah, I find the 1.6TDI is fine in my Golf. I’ll get her to to give it a thorough test drive.

benson75
    Free Member

I have the 1.6tdi octavia.

My advice is to get an ecu remap. My car now drives like the 1.9tdi I had previously and has further improved the already good fuel consumption.

My remap cost me £50. Easily saved that on fuel as I do about 85,000 miles a year!

br
    Free Member

If she isn’t bothered about overtaking and spends most of her life driving on motorways/urban than a big car/small engine will be fine.

In the last year I’ve gone from a 230bhp to 120bhp and really notice it in that overtaking is now a chore and needs a good run and/or road knowledge. Once up to 60/70/80 it’s fine.

In the real world I can’t imagine she’d get that much better economy to make it worthwhile – better a bigger engine under less stress.

molgrips
    Free Member

The 1.6 is 105bhp and whilst that may have been enough on an R reg car it’s really not enough in a modern one IMO. I test drove one and it was just too slow for me, and my other car’s a Prius, with which I am happy.

Slow enough to make overtaking really hard. I went with a 2.0 and I am glad I did. Plenty of power and still beats 60mpg on the motorway with the right tyres.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Benson, who did your re-map?

benson75
    Free Member

d/p

benson75
    Free Member

My remap was done by a company called BM Conversions.

There are numerous “tunes” for this engine depending on your driving style, the type of driving you do ie. around town or motorway, and of course how you personally want the car to perform.

If you speak to a good tuning company they should find you a good remap to suit you, and pretty much all of them will offer better fuel consumption as well as improved performance.

They also removed my troublesome DPF at a cost of £470. The cost of a new one fitted is about £800-£900! No more pain in the arse DPF warning lights and no more regenerations.

DPF’s are the scourge of modern day diesel cars.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Sounds good. Yes the DPF pretty much kills the diesel concept.

codybrennan
    Free Member

So, she’s test-drove it and liked it. Didn’t find it especially quick, but not that slow either. The 6 speed box means that 1st gear is extremely short. She’s used to the characteristics of the 1.6TDI as she drives mine a fair bit. She’s no speed-freak, so it should be fine- although the remap sounds good benson, thanks for that.

However…..there’s no recorded service history. Its 2 years old, from a main dealer, 40k miles, ex-lease/company car from one of the big leasing agencies. Wife queried this- salesman said that:

a)if there were any problems, just to bring it back to him
    b)he’d ring around and see what he could find out.

Needless to say, this isn’t really enough for me- chances are its got a FSH, but unless I’ve got something recorded in front of me, there’s no real way to tell- warranty and resale issues straight away.

Apparently the chap is going to ring us this afternoon- I’m going to have to make a record of service history a condition of the sale.

mrchrispy

>if there were any problems, just to bring it back to him

like to see how that works out in practice, I’d want to be seeing paper work.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually, particulates are the scourge of diesels, and DPFs fix that. If you want diesel economy you have look after the car. Or get a petrol hybrid.

codybrennan
    Free Member

like to see how that works out in practice, I’d want to be seeing paper work.

Absolutely. Its that or nothing.

codybrennan
    Free Member

So, a quick update.

The sales people have not been able to prove the cars service history. Its not on VW’s systems, they’ve called the leasing company and no joy there either.

So, the deal is off.

Scamper
    Free Member

Good, because if mine is anything to go by it should have been done at around 20k.

A pity, as a really nice car to drive actually, and does not really feel slow when up to speed on the motorway, but you are doing well to get 50mpg. Having also driven the Golf with the same engine this was significantly faster and more economical being about 300kg or something lighter.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks Scamper. I’m not that light footed but average over 60 in my Golf. It seems to suit it pretty well.

I suspect that there are more than a few cars coming into dealer networks that are like this- nothing recorded in the s/h, all of which have been on (possibly) personal 2 year leases. I’ve just rang round a couple of dealers looking for likely alternatives and: yes, 3 other 2 year old cars, all about 40k, none of which have anything recorded.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I get the same mpg from the 2.0 as I did from the 1.6.

We went from a golf 2.0 TDI GT (90k on the clock) to a 1.6 bluemotion with 26k on the clock.
    In the 3 years we had the GT we averaged 42mpg and in 12 months with the 1.6 we have averaged 51mpg – both figures come from the car computer (so the same) and our driving habits have not changed.
    A 110bhp 1.6 is obviously slower than a 140bhp 2.0 and that probably encourages you to drive more economically but you get used to it.
    My first drive in the 1.6 was a 4 hour trip from Glasgow to Chester and I thought it was very good on the motorway.

Scamper
    Free Member

Come to think of it, if it had been serviced the servicing indicator will have been reset so at least you’d be able to tell if its been serviced or not? If it was serviced by a non-franchise dealer (or done late) I presume though that would invalidate the remaining VW warranty and residual value. I’ve heard about VW T5’s going past 30k for their first service legitimately, but these were higher mileage vans.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Its easy enough to reset the service indicator from inside the cabin Scamper- I forget the exact keypresses but its something like: hold down the trip button for 10 secs, turn the key, etc, etc.

Its primarily the warranty and resale value that worry me. If the things not had an oil change (unlikely, but you never know) then I’d be concerned for turbo life etc.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘1.6 TDI Passat Estate- anyone got one…?’ is closed to new replies.