Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 16" or 18" frame what should I get?
  • RustyMac

I am looking at replacing the frame on my hard tail. Over the past few years bits have changed here and there as the type of riding I do on it has changed. I have finally decided to change the frame to be more in keeping with the type of riding I am doing however can not figure out if I should go for a 16″ or 18″ frame.

What I am looking at getting is a used kinesis decade virsa mk1. I am 5’8″ with a 29″ inside leg, on my current 16″ frame I have the seat post at max extension to get into a decent position for peddling which makes me think a frame with a slightly longer seat tube may be preferable.

Please help me make up my mind on what size to go for.

sobriety
    Free Member

Well, i’m 6ft with a 33″ inside leg and ride 17″/medium frames. People will say that I fit a large frame better (I’ve tried), but i’m willing to compromise on climbs for a bike that’s more ‘flickable’ on the downs, horses for courses, init.

So I would go for another medium frame. But then i’n not you, ride some and see…

P20

How do the toptube lengths compare? I’d base it on tt length personally

brant
    Free Member

You want a 16in frame and a 400mm seatpost. You don’t have a 400mm seatpost right now.

RustyMac

P20

between my current bike and the new frame or the two sizes?

Top tube lengths on the Kinesis are
    16″ = 54.8
    18″ = 56.2

Can’t find data for my current frame but will measure in the morning.

RustyMac

You don’t have a 400mm seat post right now

nope i do not 350mm i think at present.

[edit] cheers for your input brant, didn’t expect a frame designer to comment on something like this [/edit]

andyl
    Free Member

Did some of the early ones of those frame have problems or am I getting mixed up with another one?

I would also say 16″ but it all depends on the top tube length really.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

I’m 1/2 inch taller than you, and I bought a 456 in 16″ as that should be the size for me (70mm stem) but it just wasn’t working. It felt cramped, and I was doing wheelies up the slightest hill. So I got another in 18″ and that feels spot on. Luckily the frame was cheap enough to do be able to do that!

I’m in the minority here though, so don’t take my word for it. Try and test ride the bike you’re interested in I guess would be the best thing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘16" or 18" frame what should I get?’ is closed to new replies.