Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 15×100 doesn’t fit?? help
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve bought a cheap 2nd hand fork, sektor RL gold.

never came with an axle, so I’ve bought a couple to try (after the first yin that I thought would work didn’t).

So I’ve now got 2 x brand x 15 x 100 axles, both size. and a proper 15×100 maxle. I can just send back what doesn’t fit was the thinking there.

But none of them fit.

Have a been bumped with some kinda dubious fork here or is there a different axle I need to buy for it?

Fork details.

https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/specs/42t60939495

Onzadog
    Free Member

In what sense doesn’t it fit? Thread? Diameter? Length?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Well calipers out, I’m measuring all the axles as 15mm dead on, and the internal width of the fork is just shy of 15mm, so that explains why it’s not fitting.

It’ll thread in fine at the other end, so the thread is the right size, just seems like the other diameters on the forks are just shy of 15mm?

basically, I can get the threads in but it won’t go any further.

ps the 15×100 wheel fits in fine btw in the fork btw, just cant get the axle to go through the fork.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Here’s what I’m taking about.

dhrider
    Free Member

Sounds like it was sold with no axle for a reason…….

seosamh77
    Free Member

So there is no “old standard” I should be buying here then?

ta11pau1

Does the axle fit without the wheel/hub in the forks?

Might be teaching you to suck eggs but if it has the torque cap dropouts you’ll need to line up the hub correctly before the axle will slot in.

seosamh77
    Free Member

doesn’t get through far enough to reach the wheel, wheel fits in fine, and the axle goes through the wheel on it’s own so not problem there.

I’ve requested a refund anyhow.

geuben
    Free Member

It goes in from the other side. Perhaps

kula72
    Free Member

that looks weird – does it have some sort of endcap stuck in the dropout?

jam-bo

That cam lever in the picture is in the closed position. That’ll be pushing the threaded section at the end apart to lock it in place. Try it flipped the other way…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Gueben – nah, the other side is the threaded side.

Kualla, nah, nothing stuck in there, that was my first instint too, but it’s just bare aluminium on the inside,

Jam bo – nah, makes no odds, the QR clamp is just to lock the QR in place on those maxles, it’s not actally doing anything to the thread, they just work with the thread tightening up. (I’ve used a 20mm maxle for years.)

tbh I reckon I could get it to work by drilling it out, but I’m not going to do that. I’ll just get a refund, buy something else. (One that comes with the axle this time, didn’t realise that at the time!)

geuben
    Free Member

Ah. I thought the photo was of it threaded in. Did think that would have made it backwards compared to my fork.

concrete24
    Free Member

Is it the same problem described here?

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/15mm-maxle-help/

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ah. I thought the photo was of it threaded in. Did think that would have made it backwards compared to my fork.

aye the threaded bit will go in to either size, the threads are obviously a bit smaller than 15mm, soon as it gets by the thread it won’t go any further, defo needs drilled out tbh. (or another axle standard, but I don’t think that exists?).

seosamh77
    Free Member

concrete24

Is it the same problem described here?

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/15mm-maxle-help/

nah cheers, it won’t go through without without the wheel, so it’s not wheel alignment that’s the issue, it’s the size of the holes on the forks.

Awaiting a response from the seller on ebay anyhow.

jam-bo

Have you read the whole of that thread?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Tis all good now, guy has accepted the return.

taxi25
    Free Member

If it was second hand it must have had an axle fitted at some point.
    Are you sure your not giving up to early on this ? Get someone else to look at it. Sometimes “you can’t see for looking” fresh eyes might see the problem straight away, we’ve all been there.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Late to the party but, for what it’s worth, my maxle stealth pikes needed some judicious use of wet and dry on the standard non stealth axles to get them though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

interesting dangeourbrain. aye taxi, going to get my brother to have a look at it before I send it back, tbh, it seems in good nick other wise, and perfectly functional. I’ll make a decision tomorrow once he looks at as whether to send it back or not.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, bit of wet and dry paper did the job, so just decided to keep them.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘15×100 doesn’t fit?? help’ is closed to new replies.