Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • £1500 Trail Bike ?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

If you had £1500 (Max £1800) to spend on a trail bike now what would you be buying? It needs to be available in large but could be new, second hand or frame only with money left to build it up.

dab

could do quite a bit worse than a giant trance x4/3

plenty 2010/11 models around
    nice ride, great parts spec and warranty to boot

Bregante

Yt industries Wicked. About £1400.

Basil

The best possible thing you could do is buy my Yeti ASR Carbon for £1050

mafiafish
    Free Member

The second best thing you could do is by my Large prophet frame with matching white talas 150s for £490

Bregante

Do that ^^^^^^^^

I always wanted a prophet 😐

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’d have a long hard look at a 2011 Specialized Camber (20% if you’re 5′ 11″ or thereabouts from the CycleCentre)

“Trail bike” is a pretty subjective moniker, but if you want something that will do most things very well, then in my experience, the Camber works beautifully. They’ve got the 2012 Elite for a whisker less too.

Of course, you won’t go far wrong with a Trance / Anthem X and as above, lots of options with 2011 models to get a bargain. I had an Anthem X running 120mm forks before the Camber, and they’re both very good in their own ways. I do prefer the Camber though – the slacker head angle is what I wanted and that’s what I got.

Rosss
    Free Member

I was looking at a ’11 stumpjumper elite for £1800. How does the camber cope with 20mm less?

Rosss
    Free Member
    gooner69

Just treated myself to this http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_anthem_x2.html

Using as an allrounder, have fitted pro2 evo`s/flows and cannot wait to get out on it 😀

stumpy01

I’ve got a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR. It’s not got the double & bash 20 speed set-up that the 2011 has, and comes with a TALAS fork which I don’t think the 2011 has.
    But, it is an excellent bike. It’s seen me down some stuff at speeds far faster than I have been down them before and had me riding stuff that I wouldn’t have attempted on my old bike.
    My old bike was quite an XC oriented old knacker though, so perhaps it was more to do with that than the new bike….not sure.

The Brain works fine, I find. It took a while to get used to it, but now I find it really good. It is pretty solid when you want it to be, but then opens up when you need it.
    It climbs really well, although on really steep stuff I do find myself winding down the TALAS fork to keep my weight over the front. To be honest, it’s rarely essential but does make it more comfortable when climbing.
    The 2011 colours look pretty nice too – that white/black contrast looks pretty smart.

Finally, I guess is the Specialized customer service. My original Stumpjumper elite had an issue with lacquer peeling. It was sent off to Specialized for a look-see and they said that there were no more aluminium frames left in stock for 2010, but I could have the carbon version for £50 or wait for the 2011 stock to come in. I went for the carbon frame and they had it all sorted out very quickly.

flibrose
    Free Member

You can’t go wrong with one of them. I got my enduro from them a few years ago for a good price. Great service

Rosss
    Free Member

Sounds good! I’m 6ft, Would it be a large?

lazybike
    Free Member

canyon….or Anthem from Pedalon

stumpy01

I’m 5’6 and went for a medium – but I was right on the edge of s/m sizing according to Specialized. I tested a medium & it was fine apart from a slight lack of standover height.

I think at 6′ you would be too tall for a medium, so reckon that large would be the way to go…

tpbiker
    Free Member

lots of good deals on 2011 bikes at the mo. You can get a stumpy fsr comp for about 1300 at the mo, which will leave you 200 for the obligitory dropper post to go with it 🙂

I just bought and Anthem x 3 for 1400, ace bike but a bit short on travel if its the only bike you will own…

steezysix
    Free Member

Get a YT Wicked.

Mine worked out about £1450 delivered and it’s amazing, good geometry and great parts. You won’t regret it. Mine’s a large (I’m 6’1″), I used the size calculator on the YT website and it’s spot on.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay in replying Rosss – the Camber is slacker angled, 20mm less as you say – might have a longer wheel base too? I ride with guys who have Stumpys, Anthem X, Trances and a 140mm Cannondale and don’t really notice the difference. I guess it’ll depend on your riding area and type. I’m in the White Peak – a mix of hardpack trails, rocky stuff, plenty of ups and downs – but I like to ride from the door, so the lockout on the rear shock was important. I never needed that on the Anthem, by the way – it’s a totally different type of suspension system and I experienced barely any bob at all on the 30 – 40 minutes of road climbing I’ll do to get right into the hills.

Size wise – I’m 5’11” and have a large Camber, with plenty of room left over. I’ve actually moved up from a medium Anthem X. I’ve put a 90mm Thomson stem and layback post on the Camber, and have wide-ish bars on it too.

tomaso
    Free Member

The Stumpjumper with £750 off is a great deal and they are solid bikes. But plenty of other end of season offers at PedalOn and others.

brickwizard
    Free Member

I bought a 2011 stumpjumpers fsr comp couple of months aga. it was a toss up betwean this or the camber elite.
    I love it great bike and great price at £1370. using the pro pedal takes away most of the bounce on climbs and easy to lock out front n back for odd sections of road use. this is my first full suss mtb an very happy with it so far. as posted above you cant go wrong with specialized

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘£1500 Trail Bike ?’ is closed to new replies.