Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • £1500 bike – build or buy?
  • mark88

I’m looking at upgrading from my entry level hard tail to a full suspension XC bike. In the past I’ve done a couple of 2-3 hour rides a week and the odd race but nothing serious. I’m hoping to ride alot more this summer.
    I want something full suspension 100-120mm travel, ideally 29er but not too fussed. I’ll be spending about £1,500 – could maybe push it a bit more on a build as I’ve got old parts I could make do with and upgrade as and when.
    Would you buy a lower end complete bike (thinking Camber) or find a 2nd hand frame for £750ish and build it using the remaing cash?

I have pedals, bar, stem, seat, tyres and wheels from an old bike I could use so the £750 would be to cover drivechain, brakes and forks (would probably look 2nd hand for forks).

svalgis
    Free Member

As much as I like building bikes, with that budget for a FS 29er I’d look at Canyon or Radon.

matther01
    Free Member

+1 Canyon

boxelder

The canyon 29ers arent available til may.
    I’ve got the same dilemma.
    You can get a Trance X 29er 1 for £1700, which is pretty well equipped – thats by asking for a discount……

bratty

This was a few years back but I picked up a s/h Anthem frame for about 250, a fox fork for 250 nearly new, and new hope disc brakes for 200 and XC quality groupset with hope hubs, use ti post etc for a grand total of about 1000. These days it would be about 1300 at a guess total but I certainly could not have got such a good spec with completely new bike.

However looking at the Canyon sites, then I don’t know if it would just be better to get one of those

svalgis
    Free Member

The canyon 29ers arent available til may.

Oh right, didn’t think about Canyon’s delivery times. Radon, Cube or Rose then.

stevelolly
    Free Member

2012 Giant Anthem x 29er 2 can be had online for under £1300. Bit of upgrading potential with you budget. I’ve just bought a 2013 29er 1 for just over your budget , don’t be afraid to haggle .

lexinoo
    Free Member

Pauls cycles have some good 2011/12 anthems and trances for under £1500

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can get a Trance X 29er 1 for £1700, which is pretty well equipped – thats by asking for a discount……

As good as those Giants are I can absolutely wipe the floor with any full bike price by buying (lightly) used and using my head a bit. I’m talking exceeding the spec of a a £2300 bike for £1200. That’s literally what I’m doing right now. 😀

mark88

Never heard of Radon, I’ll check them out.
    I’ll have a look into the Canyon, I very nearly bought one last year but haven’t really looked at the 2013 model. I could hang on until May as I do litte riding through the rugby season anyway.

The reason I’m asking now is because I’ve seen a frame I like, in my size and price range (Blur XC Carbon advertised on here)so I need to act fast if that’s what I want to do.
    As I need an XL there never seems to be much available in the sales or 2nd hand market.

AlasdairMc

Build. That way you can end up with exactly the bike you want without either having to compromise or swap any parts over. If you have a parts collection already that really helps

haggis1978

Agree with PeterPoddy. Ive bought a barely ridden full XT equipped Ellsworth Epiphany with revs, hope wheels,ck headset and easton and ritchey carbon finishing kit for £1250 before. although that was a complete bargain I’d definitely be looking second hand and that’s how I buy the majority of my bikes now

bellerophon
    Free Member

Titus Rockstar Carbon? It as a grand so not sure if you’ll get the build you want… But if the FTM which I have is anything to go by it would be great. In fact if you were to go 26″ (not your preferred I know) then the carbon ftm is £850 with the aluminum one being even cheaper….

bikebob

Got to agree with Peter p, I bought both my bikes lightly used, both nice spec and much better than I could have afforded new. Well yes I could have just bought one new, but like most on here two is Better. It took a long while of looking, a very long while but I got there in the end. Take your time look hard and buy very nearly new, enjoy the process.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, and to expand on what I said above, the new bike has a full brand new 2013 XT drivetrain and brand new 2012 Revelations on it, new saddle, new stem, new grips….. 🙂

bellerophon
    Free Member

PP, C’Mon spill the beans the suspense is killing us 😉

dantsw13

I’m currently riding a Titus FTMcarbon which I built up from a frame. The spec I have would be £3-4k on a new bike. It cost me £1400 using a sensible mix of new and used bits.

My last 3 mtb’s have all been built this way.

Jeffus
    Free Member

my local bike shop has something in your budget

Bike 🙂

KevinPP
    Free Member

The Cambers are nice, but the lowest spec £1500 one is slightly different to the higher ones. Different frame material and not PF30 (which would be a bonus in some peoples eyes.)
    I’ve just bought the Carbon Comp and have stripped it to add the decent stuff from my old bike and a few choice upgrades. This should bring the final amount I’ve paid down substantialy. Only works if you can stump up the full price in the first place though.

kimbers

hhhhmmm that titus rockstar at on-one

and some careful speccing, s/h or sale will get you the best bike

only go up to large though

muddyground
    Free Member

I’d not buy a bike at full list price – not when 2012 models get reduced by a full grand in the sales. Lightly used or one being discounted. Also it may be a bit of a “no go” thinking that your old bits will fit as bike standards are all over the shop these days. May be best to move those on via eBay than try to hang on to them. I have built bikes up in the past, and it is a fun way to go, but always ends up being slightly more expensive than you think – but the trade off being better components and less bike mass.

Buy the best newish bike you can for the full £1500 and move your old bits on. Can then, if needed, upgrade the newer machine – CRC sale price shocks, Superstar tubeless, etc.. As above really; can end up on a £3k+ rig for much less than £2k that is to your spec. It’ll just be a 2012 model instead of 2013.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP, C’Mon spill the beans the suspense is killing us

Patience, young Jedi…. 🙂

coldhams1
    Free Member

i would have a look at some the manufacturer web sites at the secondhand/demo bikes on there. I got a 2010 meta 55 a few months ago which had barely been used for 40% of the new price from commencal and still came with a 6 months warranty valid at any commencal dealer. believe trek, whyte and sanat cruz do something similar.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I echo what has been said about the Titus FTM carbon. I built mine up from a frame to XTR spec with 2nd hand bits mainly off here. Wheels were new (Hope / Crest) as was a Ritchey carbon finishing kit off ebay; and Hope BB & Headset. It cost about &1200 – but does weigh only 26lbs… They were selling the frame before Chrismas in their sale for £599 – which I think I paid for mine last year.

I have been looking at the Titus Rockstar 29er carbon – but £999 is too much so I will wait for a sale sometime next Chrismas probably.

However I have bought one of their Fireline Ti LTD for £599 (£200 of for fome fettling) so I have a 29er XT build on the go…..

mark88

Titus are a no go due to their lack of XLs.

Been looking around online and finally found some reduced Cambers in my size… leaving me with yet another dilemma.
    2012 Camber Expert, 2012 Camber Comp 29er or 2011 Camber Pro frame

The two complete bikes are similar in price, do I go 26 and higher spec or 29er? Or buy the 2011 frame and have £1000 to build the bike.

Decisions decisions.

mark88

Buy the best newish bike you can for the full £1500 and move your old bits on.

The bits I’ve got aren’t really upgrades to go onto a complete bike, they’re just bits I could use on a build that would eventually get replaced when finances allowed

neiloxford
    Free Member

Build – its by far your better option. You could have a 4k bike for less than a £1k if you shop around

neiloxford
    Free Member

One bit of advice, do not spend too much on the 2nd hand frame, no warranty for 2nd owner unless a Turner, which would be a great choice in my view. If you get a 2nd hand carbon frame you will pay peanuts as they are a risky 2nd hand buy. E.g I got a barely used Gary Fisher HiFi Carbon with an RP23 for £160, valuing the frame at around £60, which is ridiculous!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I bought a 2010 Anthem for £750,and I`ve spent about £300 on it buying a combination of new and good nearly new bits since via ebay.

I now have a 24lb Anthem,with an all XT groupset,Roval wheels,Fox F100 forks and RP23 shock which cost me just under a grand, becuae I`ve recouped some of the spend on selling on the redundant bits.

I quite enjoy the challenge of building u a bike.Buying a new one seems far too easy…………. 🙂

gribble
    Free Member

Well, I bought a Trance X frame and have built up the spec over a couple of months. Probably not as good value as the base model from a shop in the sale. However, I have been able to spec stuff that while still basic, is at least my choice (so coil sektor dual position forks v tora, deore drive train and brakes, except for XT rear mech, Mavic Crossride wheels v own brand Giant). While not being a pimp build, at least I could go for stuff that was all ok quality wise.

Down sides are not such an easy warranty deal if you have a problem and some of the total cost of build has been hidden by my creative accounting, so some of the value is in my head!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘£1500 bike – build or buy?’ is closed to new replies.