Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • £150 to replace my pivot bearings??!?!
  • y0eddy
    Free Member

I called Freeborn today to find out how much it’ll cost to replace all the pivot bearings on an Ellsworth Moment, they came back saying that it’ll cost £150?!! Does sound about right? Even if its just a bare frameset.

rOcKeTdOg

mate got charged 120 for a spesh FSR

endurogangster
    Free Member

That’s outrageous I thought only Nicolai took people’s pants down like that!

andyrm
    Free Member

Errrrrrrrrrr no.

Here’s the ones you need:

4 × 603 2RS (rocker and Horst pivot bearings)
    4 × 6001 2RS (main pivot bearings)

Go to Brammer Bearings(most towns have a branch. Expect to pay about £1.50 a piece.

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Turner kit is £110 parts alone.

You may need special tools also.

Funny how high end kit doesn’t look after itself?

andyrm
    Free Member

If you need the bearing pullers – check this:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=595

br
    Free Member

Errrrrrrrrrr no.

Here’s the ones you need:

4 × 603 2RS (rocker and Horst pivot bearings)
    4 × 6001 2RS (main pivot bearings)

Go to Brammer Bearings(most towns have a branch. Expect to pay about £1.50 a piece.

It’s £150 to pay for the knowledge, tools and labour – do you work for free?

If the OP had these things, he wouldn’t have asked how much in the first place.

And five years ago I paid £100 for my Enduro ones to be done.

argee

That’s a basic slide hammer, hundreds available on ebay for less than half that price http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=slide+hammer&_sacat=0

As for the cost, 150 quid for £10 worth of bearings is quite a mark up, does this include stripping the bike, bearing removal and fitment?

acehtn
    Free Member

Mostly spaff about on hardtails so don’t have to worry.

Last time i looked for my susser, Spesh SX i think it was about £40 for a bearing kit, and about another £40 for a fastner kit, if they needed doing, then factor in shops labour time with maybe some not cheap special tools….£150 bit steep but i could see why.

OR
    DIY, source bearings from Brammer or Bearings direct and buy fastner kit if needed.

Joys of owning a susser that’s not a single pivot. Bit like having a flash car with a big engine….there not cheap to service either

crofts2007
    Free Member

Did my Truth for about 30 quid. Only used 6 and 8mm bolts, various sockets and a vice. Pre-packed the bearings with quality grease and re-used the enduro seals from the old bearings. Two years later still fine. Kaesea? bearings on ebay are supposed to be good quality packed with his special grease. 🙂

Northwind

I’ve not done a Moment but I had a Dare and every bearing was a simple hammer out/squash in, can’t say for sure if this one’s the same. It’s not brain surgery, only frames with completely blind bearings get complicated really.

Freeborn are a good shop though. I see they quote £50 for the bearing kit alone, that’s not so drastically more than you’d expect to pay for good, named bearings (yes you can get bearings for peanuts, but they’re often made out of peanuts)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As for the cost, 150 quid for £10 worth of bearings is quite a mark up, does this include stripping the bike, bearing removal and fitment?

Depends on the bearings, SKF are £5+ each in most pivot sizes, and the Enduro has 12 of them (2 main, 2 main/linkage, 4 horst and 4 seatstay/linkage. Makes the £100 most shops charge to do them seem a bargain!

nick1962
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Was a thread on here recently about a shop that fits bearings(you provide)on Spesh FSRs for £30ish … Spen Velo I think.
    Could have had a weekend away in glorious West Yorkshire and got your bike sorted for £120.

kimbers

Are you near Edinburgh? katec to the rescue

orangeboy
    Free Member

Again for fsr but we charge £60 in labour ontop of the £40 for the Bering kit from Spesh
    Its rare to get one that come apart as it should
    And it takes a while , its the time your paying for as much as the bits

kendo954
    Free Member

I love my orange alpine even more when I see this sort of post….. £14.99 a rubber mallet & a block of wood every 2 years 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

if it’s anything like bashing the bearings out of my ol’ Kona coiler it’s worth every penny and then some.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I love my orange alpine even more when I see this sort of post….. £14.99 a rubber mallet & a block of wood every 2 years

Exactly. I think Bike Scene did my 5 bearings for something like £30 including the bearings

gdj001
    Free Member

It was £100 for my Stumpjumper FSR. Done in less than 24 hours by Don Skene in cardiff. I think that price is about standard for spesh bikes

honourablegeorge

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    I love my orange alpine even more when I see this sort of post….. £14.99 a rubber mallet & a block of wood every 2 years

Is that what Orange use to build then, or what you use to change the bearings? 🙂

Northwind

Over the lifespan of my bikes, the difference in labour and bearing costs between my Orange and my million-bearing Hemlock will be approximately bollocks all. Though I can see why it appeals to people who find hammers a bit too complicated 😉

kimbers

faux bar konas take a day, some patience and swearing, gt85, rubber mallet couple of sockets and a vice

a bearing kit costs about 30 quid and kaeses + youtube videos et voila

did my old kona bear on thursday infact

tmb467
    Free Member

As everyone else has said – bearings will be £40. Labour to strip bike down, take bearings out, faff a bit cos they’re stuck then put new ones in and service the bike (as Woodrups do for specialized bikes) and build it back up for £120 then speaking from experience as someone who has wasted days trying to do it myself– it’s something I’d consider again!!

y0eddy
    Free Member

I’m the OP

I’ve not had to send my beloved into a shop for ages as fettling at home is part of the fun of being a mountain biker, but since bearing replacement isn’t regular thing for, I couldnt justify investing in the tools. Hence a call to my closest Ellsworth dealer.

After watching Kaesea’s youtube vids, with the right tools, it looks like a 30-45min job (my frame has been fully stripped).

Out of the £150, £50 for the bearings and the rest for labour. Since I’ve never had this sort of work done I’d thought I’d compare with you guys.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Is that what Orange use to build then, or what you use to change the bearings?

Both! Simples, (& cheap) 😀

tmb467
    Free Member

The right tools will make any job easy 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

rOcKeTdOg – Member

Was a thread on here recently about a shop that fits bearings(you provide)on Spesh FSRs for £30ish … Spen Velo I think.
    Could have had a weekend away in glorious West Yorkshire and got your bike sorted for £120.

not mine, Santa Cruz bearings have free replacement warranty 8)

Wally

Yep – Santa Cruz replaced my bearings free, posted Monday – got bearings Wedesday.

robdob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put £1.50 bearings on my bike. Proper SKF ones on my bike, thanks. It’s a hassle replacing them so why buy cheaper ones which you’ll have to replace sooner?

Even better, pack them with grease before you fit them…. 😀

grum
    Free Member

I got charged £40 (plus £25 for the bearings from kaesae on ebay) by Spen Velo but he said they were all seized and it took ages. Very happy to pay that.

Specialized Pitch BTW.

jonba
    Free Member

About £90 full price for me and a Spesh

As above the proper bearing kits are £40-60 then you’ve got to cover tools, staff, keeping the shop open and make a profit. £150 seems steep but not ridiculous depending on where you are.

bryan-g-

Just got my S works Epic done at Nevis cycles for £150 but I had striped everything of it.

onewheelgood

Having done the 10 bearings on my Anthem myself, I don’t really think £150 is unreasonable. A set of Enduro Max bearings is £40, and like someone up there said, it’s rare to find one where everything comes out as it should. All of the Anthem bearings are blind, and even with the right tools there’s always a chance that at least one will break, leaving the outer race sitting in the seat. Then the fun begins…

zippykona

And this is why I own single pivot bikes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I get free replacement bearings for mine and then it’s just labour. Worth it to ride something slightly more modern really. The difference is night and day from my old Single Pivot

roverpig

And this is why I own single pivot bikes.

Really? You’d put up with a bike that you don’t like as much as another option just to save yourself £150 every year or two?

Don’t get me wrong. I like my Five, but I like it because of the way it rides. The fact that I can knock a new set of bearings in with a hammer in half an hour is just a bonus.

Wally

Giant Bearing tool kit is fab and I have used mine for several non Giant Bikes. A delightful quality bit of kit which makes a tough job easy. Although I have now gone single pivot – the feel of a slow delicate screw feeling the bottom out point is better IMO than a hammer job. Steady on.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The turner kit is bushings, not bearings, plus the pivots and some hardware.

The Turner kit needs replacing less often than most bikes, which is something they like to point out. I just replaced the bushings in my Flux after three years, but I didn’t really need to do that (was trying the Push bushings).

Installation is easy – just use a G clamp vice to push them in. They can be knocked out with a large allen key.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘£150 to replace my pivot bearings??!?!’ is closed to new replies.