Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1.5 steerer
  • trevron73
    Free Member

Whats the difference between 1.5″ steerer and 1/8th, and can i swop 1.5 to 1/8th, and if so what do i need ?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

One is bigger than the other?

A frame that takes 1.5 can generally take a 1 1/8. Usually. Via adapters.

So we’d need to know the frame and fork. And ideally if you’ve an expensive headset you want to continue with you should mention that too.

nickewen
    Free Member

Diameter of steerer tube. With a 1.5 steerer fork u will be limited to the number of frames the fork will be compatible with. The nukeproof mega has a 44mm headtube that will take a 1.5 steerer. however most frames are designed for 1 1/8 or tapered forks

james
    Free Member

one is 1.5″ across. one is 1.125″ across
    There also steerers that start at 1.5″ ‘at the fork end’ and narrow to 1.125″ where the stem bolts to (aka tapered steerer tube)

If you want to swap the steerer tube, you’ll need a complete new Crown-Steerer-Unit (CSU) to fit your fork. You’ll need the spring and damper assemblies swapped across to the new CSU.
    The CSU will likely be costly
    A Fox 32 CSU can be had for ~£135 from mojo
    iirc RRP 32mm Rockshox CSU’s are a bit over £200 and 35mm over £300
    Maybe you can get an RS one for less
    and ime TFtuned won’t sell you one

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Ok so what you have written as 1/8th is actually 1 1/8th, i.e. an inch and an eighth of an inch. 1.5 is exactly what it sounds like…an inch and a half.

Now to fully answer your question further more information is required. If you have a pair of 1.5 inch steerer forks which you want to swap for a pair of 1 1/8th steerer forks it may be possible to find an adaptor (although personally I wouldn’t want to run an adaptor in such a high stress area of the frame). On the other hand if you’re trying to fit a pair of 1.5 inch steerer forks to a frame with a 1 1/8th headtube then it won’t work at all as the steerer tube on the fork will be too large for the frame to accept.

This answer supposes that you’re talking about ‘old school’ plain gauge headtubes and steerer tubes and not the newer tapered steerers and ‘hidden headsets’.

Hope this helps.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Trevon – we need to know the frame and what fork. Then we can help rather than speculate.

trevron73
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies,sounds technical.Frame is a Cannondale Trail sl4 and forks are RST Duece , im slowly upgrading a bit a a time so the wife can’t tell.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

How old is the bike? i.e. what is the year of manufacture? I’m just looking at the current SL4 on the cannondale site and it has a 1.5head tube on the frame and a fork with a 1 1/8th steerer, hence it’s already set up to accept 11/8th forks…so…if I’m reading your original post correctly…you shouldn’t have a problem fitting a new fork!

trevron73
    Free Member

RID ,the bikes a 2012 model so you think i can swop the stem over with no problem ,thanks ,the forks will have to wait there so expensive.Thanks all Trev

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

You’re changing the stem? Ok let me help you out a little here, click on this link:

Cannondale Trail SL4

and then click on the ‘SPECS’ tab on the left hand side.

This will then bring up alot of information about the components fitted to your bike.

For example, as we’re talking about the stem, the stem is described thus:

Cannondale C4, 1-1/8″, 31.8, 7 degree

Which initially seems quite confusing, but to break it down for you it actually becomes quite useful when you get to buying new components.

Firstly it tells you the Manufacturer and model of the component, in this case Cannondale’s own C4 stem.

Then it tells you the size of the steerer tube is attaches to: 1 1/8th

Then it tells you the size of handlebar it accepts: 31.8mm

(NB: When you buy your new stem these two measurements must be the same as teh existing component or it won’t fit!)

Finally it tells you how many degrees of rise the stem has (i.e.how many degrees the centre of the handlebars are above the centre of the steerertube clamp.)

The single measurement missing from all this is the length of the stem, but this is easily measured with a tape measure, again from the centre of the handlebar clamp to the centre of the steerertube.

Hope all that helped!

trevron73
    Free Member

Thanks i suppose if id of looked at the specs,the question would of answered it self ,so it looks like my dream stem will fit after all thanks RID.

trevron73
    Free Member

Im a chef so im not too savvy with bike components and the like .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1.5 steerer’ is closed to new replies.