• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by eep.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 142×12 full suss xc/trail frames- anyone still make them?
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi All
    So I’m bored and just cogitating so bear with me please.
    I currently have an Intense Carbine with a nice build kit (including non boostable Mavic carbon wheels) which I love but I bought the frame off eBay and it turns out it’s nicked and I’m waiting to hear if I have to return it.
    So the question is, if I do what do I replace it with?
    1. Another second hand frame but this could
    Leave me where I am now
    2. Swap the wheels and buy a new(er) frame which is boost
    3. Source a maker who still makes 142×12 frames
    4.Find some old stock of something decent

Any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Steve

scotroutes

I wouldn’t let hub width decide my frame. I’d start with choosing a frame and work back.

Mind you, I don’t have any expensive wheels to consider.

chakaping
    Free Member

Either buy another secondhand frame (highly unlikely to get another hot one), or flog the wheels and go boost.

If you’re not fussed on having the latest geometry, there should be plenty of decent used frames for cheap.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

including non boostable Mavic carbon wheels

The cheap kits from eBay and the like work ok. I’d suggest getting two (rear ones) and redishing the wheel (if you’ve got sram gearing it doesn’t always play with the off line cassette otherwise) but it’s £10-£15 to make your nice wheels work on a new frame and fork just fine.

Alternatively the better solution is to get the mavic hub replaced and keep the fancy carbon rim.

richmtb

Or use a generic boost conversion kit.

I did this recently- my old non-boost bike had really nice Mavic Crossmax Pro wheels which didn’t have a proper boost conversion kit.

I just used a generic conversion kit from Velo Solutions on Ebay. I was slightly dubious if it would work well but honestly there are zero issues with it.

chiefgrooveguru

Boost adapters work fine. I used them on my Banshee because it was so much cheaper than buying their 142mm dropouts (they’re swappable/moveable to suit your wheels or geometry preference).

fatgit
    Free Member

Cheers all
    Looks like an option if I do lose it.
    Steve

eep

you should be able to spec a new banshee frame with 142×12 dropouts rather than have to buy them as a 2nd set. It also gives you a boost migration path which doesn’t involve a new frame

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘142×12 full suss xc/trail frames- anyone still make them?’ is closed to new replies.