Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 142 x 12 axle problem
  • Simwit

I’m having problems with the rear axle on my bike & am after some advice regarding a replacement. I’ve recently built myself a Turner Burner & it comes with a DT Swiss 142 x 12 thru’ axle which is effectively a long bolt so it doesn’t have a locking handle like RockShox Maxle Lite or Shimano’s version. The problem is without the locking device the axle is prone to coming unscrewed. I’ve used one of these before on some DT forks and had the same problem with that one so I used to wrap a Velcro strap around the skewer handle and the bottom of the fork leg to stop it unwinding. The thing is I don’t want to go through that hassle again & after it happened at the weekend I am looking to replace the axle with something with a cam style locking handle. I was going to buy a Maxle Lite axle but the reviews are pretty poor so have found this Shimano one instead, the only thing is I’m not sure what the deal is with the nut (or whatever it is) at the end.

Does anyone know if this is removable & wether other than that this is a suitable replacement for my frame?

Thanks in advance.

DickBarton

I have that on my Whyte, the nut sits outside the frame and is used to allow the axle to screw into and hold the wheel in the frame…seems to work very well.

sykik
    Free Member

Yeah the nut is removable. I bought one of those for my Zesty but had to use Lapierres own nut with it as the Shimano nut didn’t fit in the frame. It works perfectly well.

FactoryPhil

I swapped out a maxle to the shimano e thru axle and from memory the maxle and shimano axle have a different thread pitch. You might want to check this out if your screwing it directly into the frame.

Phil

Simwit

Thanks for the quick replies guys. On my frame the thread is actually in the rear dropout rather than a separate nut, do you think that the axle will be too long in this case?

Edit. Cheers for the heads up Phil, I’ll look into that.

coatesy
    Free Member

The nut usually sits into a recess on the outside of the frame, so it’s pretty much flush, so it won’t be sticking out/be too long.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘142 x 12 axle problem’ is closed to new replies.