Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 141mm QR 9mm boost. ??? Voodoo Hoodoo
  • byeway
    Free Member

Looking to build a pub bike using my existing old school qr wheelset.

Seen a couple of second hand frames with the above rear spacing (Alpkit Frontier v1 and Voodoo Hoodoo) Can anyone explain how this works with 135 oln QR wheels. Special spacers or a whole new longer rear axle compatible with my Deore hub?

Also anyone know if the Hoodoo can take a tapered fork. A quick Google is not conclusive, it might be linked to changes in the design at different years ?

Thanks byeway

tomhoward

Can anyone explain how this works with 135 oln QR wheels

141 boost qr has the same relationship to regular (148) boost as 135qr does to 142 thru axle. So might be possible to convert with end caps and a spacer for your rotor, if they are available? Like converting a non boost hub to boost spacing.

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s a different hub, much as boit through boost is. If you could get a longer axle, axle spacers, and disc spacers, and re-dish your wheel, you could get it to work, but it seem a lot of faff unless you really want boost.

damascus
    Free Member

Personally I’d avoid 141 qr like the plague. It’s a standard that never caught on. It would have to be realy cheap for me to consider it.

byeway
    Free Member

Many thanks for the answers, so think I will stay away! I really want to stick to my old 135 qr so I can swap wheels between current bikes etc.

reluctantjumper

I’ve got a Voodoo Hoodoo with that 141 QR spacing. You can get wheels that fit easily enough but it does limit your choices quite a bit, mainly to mid to high end hubs. A 135QR won’t convert. I’ll be going with a Hope hub from another bike (148×12 with QR inserts makes it 141) when I get a new set of wheels for that but other options are available. I wouldn’t buy a new bike with a 141 rear end though, really limits your options if you’re fussy, especially as a full wheelset. Thankfully I’ve got other bikes to trickle parts down from as they get upgraded, the Voodoo currently has some Factory spec (but no Kashima) 32’s, a RaceFace Turbine crank and some Renthal Carbon bars, but that was always the idea of buying it anyway. For you there will be better options out there.

Also anyone know if the Hoodoo can take a tapered fork. A quick Google is not conclusive, it might be linked to changes in the design at different years ?

The dark red ones are standard headtube so 1 1/8″ only whereas the luminous red/yellow ones are a 44mm headtube so can fit anything. Mine’s got a cheap Brand X headset to run a tapered steerer.

schmiken

I’d also avoid QR141 if at all possible. A friend had a Trek with it on and ruined the rear wheel, finding a replacement was rough until we found Hope Boost hubs will take the QR adaptors will fit. Bonus is that with the 12mm adaptors the wheels should be good for his next bike too!

byeway
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback peeps. !

So moving on I am probably now going to forget the 141 qr boost and look into a more modern frame.

What is the most common standard, I seem to see both 15mm and 12mm bolt through.

Think I would like to build a rear wheel that could be converted between bolt through and 135mm qr. I think that Hope do these, and also Bitex, but both a bit spendy really as I have been happy with Deore for the past 30 odd years, and I prefer steel splines.

Unlikely that Shimano do converter caps ??

dc1988

I don’t think Shimano have ever made a hub that can convert between different axle sizes. You’d be best off looking for an old Hope pro2 Evo hub

simondbarnes

Think I would like to build a rear wheel that could be converted between bolt through and 135mm qr.

Pretty much anything modern will be boost spacing now (like the Alpkit and the Voodoo you mentioned in your original post) – they will either be bolt through (148mm) or QR (141mm)
    If you want to swap between bolt through and 135QR then you need to be looking at older frames.

byeway
    Free Member

Thanks Simon, I have sacked the 141 qr plan, my query has now moved on to any suggestions for reasonable priced rear hubs that can be changed between 135qr, and through axle. Hope are a bit spendy unless I can find good second hand.

Also is there now a common rear bolt through standard. I have been working on my bikes for the last 50 years from when we banged out cotter pins, but the current rear wheel “standards” are perplexing

ratherbeintobago

Personally I’d avoid 141 qr like the plague

Surely it’s a ‘that depends’ as some hubs will be fairly easily converted with end caps?

simondbarnes

Also is there now a common rear bolt through standard

Yes, and it doesn’t involve 135mm qr hubs at all.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.