Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 140mm forks on a bike designed for 100-130mm? Will I die content…
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pipedream Sirius steel frame. I had Revelation U-turn forks on. Been running rigid but want to go back to some bounce. Offered some solo air Revs which are 140mm but assuming I use a little more sag, it won’t make THAT much difference, will it? Also, the new Revs seem to have a straight steerer but a slight bulge a the bottom near the fork crown… Not seen that before, should be OK though with a split crown race?

jambalaya
    Free Member

If frame is good up to 130 then you won’t die ( 😉 ) even running 140 at normal sag. Add a bit and you basically have a 130

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Im out anyway…. Pics the guys sent of the steerer show deformity at the bottom of the steerer at the crown. He said the lower race didnt fit very well and wasn’t flush.

wiggles
    Free Member

All straight steerer’s are slightly larger at the bottom for the crown race

wiggles
    Free Member

All straight steerer’s are slightly larger at the bottom for the crown race.

johnners
    Free Member

Also, the new Revs seem to have a straight steerer but a slight bulge a the bottom near the fork crown… Not seen that before, should be OK though with a split crown race?

That’s standard IME, otherwise a non-split crown race would be an interference fit all the way down.

Pics the guys sent of the steerer show deformity at the bottom of the steerer at the crown. He said the lower race didnt fit very well and wasn’t flush

You might have a better eye than me, but that steerer doesn’t look anything out of the ordinary. The lower race not sitting flush sounds odd though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Im out anyway

Ah today’s world, 10 mins changes everything 😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah you’re not wrong there. Not sure he still has them now it was a Facebook sale. Might offer him $80 hehe

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hmm he’s firm on $100 (about 60 quid)

Is there a special tool to install the crown race, or some tip?? IIRC the last ones I did were split and dead easy.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Done. Bought. Installed. Race slid on no problem at all. Dual Air’s recently serviced but never re-installed. Bargain I recks.

cp

Bargain. That crown/steerer looks completely normal.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah for some reason the photo made it look worse. Anyhoo, happy bunny. Plenty of bargains for the 26ers still out there.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘140mm forks on a bike designed for 100-130mm? Will I die content…’ is closed to new replies.