Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 140mm fork on Cotic Soul?
  • johnnydrz
    Free Member

Hi guys, I’ve searched but couldn’t come up with anything… I have a 130mm old 426 Revelation fork on my Small Cotic Soul (SS for now…)and I’m thinking of putting that fork on my other bike. Considering a 140mm FOX or REV/SEKTOR for my Soul. Any experience worth sharing before I go ahead and get one? I know there are Dual Positions in some model but don’t know how they perform…

Thanks in advance,

Johnnydrz (in Canada!)

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Always found my old (2007) one to handle best at around 120mm, so that’s where the new one will be set at. There was a post on here a few days ago with someone saying that Cy from Cotic said the optimal point was 120mm.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I would agree with grumpydave. I have 110-140mm Uturn revs on mine and run them between 110 and 130, mostly at around 110. 140 on the odd occasion at fort william or dunkeld but then that’s not the sort of thing that you’d be riding much on a soul I wouldn’t have thought? It depends how hard you’re going to thrash it but I’ve often thought I should have got some 120 Rebas or even sids, the revs were dirt cheap at the time though.

Northwind

Yeah, I used u-turns on mine, 140mm was nice to have as an option but I wouldn’t have been happy with a fixed 140 fork. TBF nothing suits a Soul quite like a u-turn, each setting brings out a different character of the bike.

bill65
    Free Member

I have 140mm Fox Vans on my Soul and I think they are great, the only down side is it wanders a bit on the steep stuff.

chiefgrooveguru

Fox 32 140mm on mine for everything, handles great. You have to get up on the front when cornering but that’s just good technique. 140mm Fox 32 is about the same A-C length as 130mm Revs. I run mine pretty hard because I don’t like the front bobbing about with maybe 15% sag when in the attack position, so the head angle is nicely slack.

johnnydrz
    Free Member

Thanks for the info so far! The thing is I really like the 140mm FOX 32 I have on my Evil Sovereign, but I’m thinking of selling it because the Soul can do everything (still easier to lift the front wheel on the Evil though…) and is lighter. I’m used to climbing while standing because of SS, so front wheel wandering is not really an issue. I don’t see why I couldn’t ride my Soul hard, considering I weigh 130lbs. Please keep adding your comments, really appreciated.

Johnnydrz

honourablegeorge

140 on mine, delighted with it.

Maybe I’m missing out on something, but certainly don’t feel it, love the bike.

jairaj

chiefgrooveguru
    I run mine pretty hard because I don’t like the front bobbing about with maybe 15% sag

Have you got the basic RL version? That’s my main bugbear with Fox forks. Look at getting a compression adjust upgrade So you can use your forks correctly.

chiefgrooveguru

Have you got the basic RL version? That’s my main bugbear with Fox forks. Look at getting a compression adjust upgrade So you can use your forks correctly.

They could do with a smidgen more low speed compression damping but not a lot. Once I get up full gnarr shred ripping speed 😉 they feel bang on even if they feel on the harsher side when pootling. But MTB suspension isn’t for comfort is it? You certainly wouldn’t ride a hardtail if you thought it was!

matther01
    Free Member

SAM_0742 by matther01]null[/url]

Prefer mine at 120mm and have yet to try them with my 110/140 talas. Both are RLC FIT.

Scamper
    Free Member

Had rebas and revs on mine from 100 to 140mm, both qr and 20mm maxle so there are more variables at play. I’d guess if all things equal 120 is the sweet spot for cornering, but if you just stuck to 140 you’d be plenty happy on fast singketrack and climbing is fine – butIf anything I found travel differences have more influence on tighter slower singketrack. Run my revs currently at 130 trying to cover all bases.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have U turn coil revs 130/85 and as above at about 115mm is the sweet spot for all round use. 130 feels too slack
    Which reminds me I must lower the Dual Air revs on my 26er simple

chiefgrooveguru

I’m running a 50mm stem btw – let’s you really lean on the front in corners without ever feeling like you’re going over the bars and speeds up the response when you’re going slow.

johnnydrz
    Free Member

Thought I might update on my setup: Now running my small Soul with an X-Fusion Velvet 140mm, 15mm axle. The fork performs extremely well so far and I can’t feel anything different while climbing, which is the first thing I did with the new setup. Climbed a mountain for about 20 minutes before coming down. But, I have to say that I usually ride singlespeed while my Soul is setup 1X10. Even geared, I climb standing up in a harder gear. Maybe I’d see a difference if I would climb seated…

fizzicist
    Free Member

Run Magura Thors on mine and at 140mm it wanders a little but I find it’s awesome at 110mm. Lovely lovely bike.

iainc

Mine was on 120 velvets but they are off being warrantied so getting some 120 Reba’s for it. Will probs sell the velvets. Feels great at 120mm

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘140mm fork on Cotic Soul?’ is closed to new replies.