Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 140mm 27.5" forks for a Cotic BFe- £500 budget
  • jmatlock
    Free Member

Help me! This is a mine field. I was shocked to see I can’t get a set of Pikes for that budget!

So, Yari’s? Or something else? Help me here folks.

chestrockwell

I got some 29″ Pikes for 450 from Winstanley the other week. They had 27.5 for around 500 then so might be worth a look.

jmatlock
    Free Member

£570 :o(

But they are by far the cheapest place for Yaris

psycorp
    Free Member

Get some mattoc’s, add a few spacers, save 100 quid.

superstu
    Free Member

X fusion sweeps?

jmatlock
    Free Member

160mm is too much fork.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Merlin might be able to help.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Pikes are £650 at Merlin!

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ve got some brand new revaltions in the shop taken off a new bike(steerer not cut down) email me if your interested

boxxer7
    Free Member

I’m going to 2nd the manitou mattoc got a set on my hardtail spaced down to 140mm and they’re just as good as my pike with a FAST cartridge and best bit is no creaking crown!

jmatlock
    Free Member

Have emailed you Wiggles

jmatlock
    Free Member

Who are you guys using to drop the travel I your Mattocs.

140mm seems about right for a BFe, anyone think otherwise?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for the Mattocs. I’ve been really, really impressed with mine so far. They’ve had really good reviews on Dirt and Pink Bike.

Did the travel reduction myself; it’s pretty damn easy.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Did you all start off with the 160 Mattoc Pros?

jmatlock
    Free Member

In an ideal world, I would have some Factory 34s or some DVO Diamonds.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think my Mattocs are better than the 34’s that they replaced; plusher and much smoother. My 34’s had a Mojo tune on them too.

It took me a while to get past the name etc due to the history, but they seem to be a cracking fork. Bargain too from CRC.

jmatlock
    Free Member

So, what do I need to space them down to 140?

Cheers

James

Alex

If you do go down the Yari route, don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Sure they’re not a pike – in fact they are a franken-fork (according to Sprung Suspension who extended mine) with a bit of lyric, a bit of pike and the lower spec motion control damper.

Mine are the boost ones and man are they stiff. They’re not quite as controlled as the pike but honestly I’m not sure it’s a 200 quid+ difference. They are a bit heavier but really seem excellent value for money. A bit like revelations used to be!

I bought the 120mm ones and just had them extended to 140mm – that’s a pike air spring so definitely lots of shared components in there.

For comparison I had the 110mm Manitou boost version of the Mattoc on my Stache. Nice fork, very adjustable (too complicated for me), quite stiff and light.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting.

OP love my 2012 BFe which I put adjustable Sektors on 110-150, 140 is a good choice I think. Enjoy and post a photo when done !

mindmap3
    Free Member

The forks comes with the spacers. I bought the Mattoc tool kit which has the skinny socket etc in it. The videos on the Manitou website are really easy to follow. There’s also a helpful thread on MTBR.

Just be aware that some of the tool kits have the wrong cassette tool in them; it’s long not really stubby like a proper cassette tool so it flexes and doesn’t bite into the bottom of the damper.

I’ve found them easy to set up. There is high and low speed compression but not loads of clicks plus the bottom out adjuster to firm the end of the stroke up.

jmatlock
    Free Member

No where seems to have the 27.5 Mattocs stock.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I would love something super posh like BOS or DVO but the costs are crazy.

bone_idle
    Free Member

Why not get the sweeps J tech or Freeborn will adjust the travel to 140 if you buy from them, I got them on 2 bikes now and think they are on par with all Pikes that I have tried. They have a mid valve which makes them plush at low pressures without the brake dive. I destickered mine as the graphics aren’t for me.
    Cotic fit them on there builds and have an article explaining why

jmatlock
    Free Member

Bone Idle – have your got the standard or roughcut damper?

bornonaboat

Mattoc forks can be set to either 26″ or 27.5 with the parts that come in the box, there is 4mm trail difference in the crown between the two versions.
    I bought an set of 26 mattoc pro and converted to 27.5 150mm travel for my bfe.
    I’m tempted by a irt kit to make the air spring dual stage but they are really good anyway.

boxxer7
    Free Member

What bornonaboat said, the 26 and 27.5 forks use the same lowers and uppers all you do is change a part (it’s all in the box travel spacers as well)

Take a look on MTBR there’s a big thread with every bit of info you will need on it, takes a while to read the lot!

Alpha1653

I bought some X Fusion Slants (essentially the sweep with a different offset) with the Roughcut damper and they are awesome. Damping is controlled with a massive amount of adjustment and they are v stiff. Pikes might be a bit better (if you’re good enough to notice the difference) but not several hundred pounds better. I’ve ridden both and would take the X Fusions and a less empty wallet! Just back from a week blatting around Morzine & Chatel and they barely flinched. Oh and the mud clearance around the brace is insane.

I got mine from Freeborn and they could not have been more helpful.

wl
    Free Member

Got 140mm Solo RCT3 Pikes on my new P7 and they’re mint – perfect travel, great performance.

colournoise

Sweeps are great. You really don’t need to spend more. Just get them spaced down to 140.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Used, some 130mm here

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘140mm 27.5" forks for a Cotic BFe- £500 budget’ is closed to new replies.