• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jabbi.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 140+ travel 29er HT – Whats out there??
  • J273
    Free Member

Im looking to build a fun longish travel 29er HT. I have a few bits lying a round to build it. I just need to find the frame.

Needs to take a 120 -> 140 fork and ideally a load of tyre clearance so i can fit my 38mm wide carbon rims.

Ragley big wig is what i have my eye on but is there anything else i should be looking at?

£500 max

Ta

sillyoldman

Zealous Division MkII. Lovely bike.

treklee
    Free Member

Mine today at fod, with a set of 140s it would be brilliant. I’m running 120s and it’ll still take a hammering.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nuke Proof scout 29 (wot I have)
    Last Fast Forward (wot I would’nt wait for)
    Canfield Yelli Screamy (wot I had)
    2 Souls Quaterhorse (wot I thought was too short)

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu

Canfield Yelli Screamy (wot I had)
    2 Souls Quaterhorse (wot I thought was too short)

Both more than 500 squids. 😉
    I’ll post up some pics of some of mine though if we’re throwing the £500 out the window. 😆
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/BJUYPK]IMG_20151218_104558040_HDR[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qLN5E7]Spring has sprung[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qLjQXH]2Souls[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

George.
    When does your Fast Forward arrive?
    I’m dying to find out what you think of it when it comes.

Northwind

Nukeproof Scout worth a look, and maybe the Konas and the Parkwood? To my eyes, the sizing of most 29er “hardcore hardtails” is a long way behind the full sussers, there’s not that many I wouldn’t have to go up a size on frinstance.

swanny853

Friend of mine has just bought a ros9- I had a brief go when he had one on demo and thought it was a lot of fun. Certainly more on the ‘steamroller’ end of the scale, but not cumbersome. Iirc that was at the longer end with 140mm pikes.

I suggested the same to him, but as a slightly leftfield choice, how about the new plus stache? I rode it in the normal plus format and found it hilarious but I think if you put a long fork and normal 29er tyres on it you get geometry pretty similar to the ros9 and incredibly short chainstays. Then you’ve got a play bike and an everything else bike in the same frame

swanny853

(I should probably add that this is something I’m thinking of- fast plus tyres for eating up miles over rough terrain in summer, single speed, normal tyres and longer forks with huge mud clearance for titting about in the winter)

jabbi
    Free Member

Swanny853, I’ve done exactly that, the forks are now at 140mm, love it.
    Why can’t I get the picture to work?

ade9933
    Free Member

i have the blue one above in silver, running on 120. It’s all good. (Canfield N9)

Northwind

Cor. Do like that stache idea

ade9933
    Free Member

Mate has the stache and loves it. he’s much quicker over the techy bits than he used to be too.

… does look a bit like a clown bike with backward forks and long stem tho.

<edit> did cost more than 500 notes though – sorry, just saw that.

Clink

@ Jabbi – interesting. I was going to sell my Pikes, but you reckon Stache is good to go with them set at 140? Just to pain to get a boost 29er rear sorted.

thepodge
    Free Member

I still rate my kona Honzo at 140

jabbi
    Free Member

@ Clink, I only changed the forks to 140mm yesterday so haven’t ridden it yet, I’ve only got two tokens and at 120 they blow through the travel too easily, I had a 140 air shaft so thought I’d give it a go. If it stops chucking it down later I’ll go out for a play and report back.

swanny853

I’ve done exactly that, the forks are now at 140mm, love it.

I am extremely jealous! Have you tried it with sus fork and plus?

jabbi
    Free Member

Swanny, no I haven’t, there is no way a 29 plus tyre is going in a Pike, I wanted to stick to a 100mm axle so I can swap to the rigid forks occasionally and I already had a Pike (although I’ve just got a new pair under warranty, the damper exploded). Wasn’t a fan of the Chupacabras, they don’t do mud, but may revisit plus at some point, possibly the 27.5 variety, it’s a versatile frame!

pigyn
    Free Member

We still have one more kit of free bar/stem/saddle to go with Ragley frames.
    Got three Bigwigs in stock but only one kit, so once one more sells the offer gets taken down.

Bigwig + Free Bar/Stem/Saddle

If you already have parts just sell these and end up with a cheap frame 😀

The Zealous is also really nice this year, lower standover and more tyre clearance, colours look great too.

dragon
    Free Member

I can’t see the point, when you are hitting big rock gardens hard enough to get through 140+ of travel then the rear is going to take huge impacts cue puncture / rim destroyed.

For me on a 29er hardtail the perfect travel is between 100 and 120mm depending on use.

survivor

There you go. You summed it up in two words “for me”. Everyone else isn’t you. ….

pigyn
    Free Member

Procore was made for hardtails 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

2 things….bend ze knees and line choice (bare in mind Emyr Davies was only a couple of seconds behind Mike Jones at the Welsh DH Nationals.On a hardtail)

swanny853

Jabbi, did you build yours from the frame then? I can very much recommend getting a go on one with the manitous, I haven’t grinned like an idiot that much on a bike in a long time!

jabbi
    Free Member

Swanny, I bought the full 5 bike, was working at a Trek dealer at the time and with staff discount it was so cheap I couldn’t say no! I had all the bits apart from the wheels already, couldn’t justify the Manitou when I already had a Pike. My mates got a 7 and rates the fork,but it’s far too big for me to try.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘140+ travel 29er HT – Whats out there??’ is closed to new replies.