• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by argee.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 14″ Wheel Bikes- Islabike, Frog or something cheaper
  • Premier Icon mashr
    Free Member

I’d like to get my son a pedal bike. He’s just about to turn 3 and has inside leg of 38-39cm. This means he’ll fit the Islabike Cnoc 14… but it’s not cheap! I’d seek one second hand but under current circumstances that’s a bit tricky.

So, much like the Balance Bikes thread is there much else worth looking at? Obvious choice for us in the Early Rider Seeker 14, especially as the bike will spend a lot of time off road (and in mud). OTOH the 14″ Vitus looks ok, but after replacing the tyres (they’re very slick) your back in Early Rider money (I can get 10% off an Early Rider). Frog look ok, but unspectacular (especially when the ER discount is taken into account again). The Commencal Ramones looks amazing…. but then you see the weight.

The bike will see us through 2 kiddies, so not adverse to paying the higher end, but would be good to see all the options

Premier Icon simon_g

Carrera Cosmos is often overlooked – Halfords sell some rubbish but these are proper alu frame, threadless headset/stem, Kenda tyres, small brake levers etc. Similar weight as the Frog, Isla, etc and well made. Won’t impress the other cycle snob dads though.

Premier Icon stumpy01

I’m currently having this dilemma, although deciding whether to wait for a bit & go for a 16″ wheeled bike instead.

I started a thread last week & there were a few suggestions in there. My initial post has a list of the bikes I’ve been considering.

Kid’s First Pedal Bike!?

The one that I’m intrigued by is the Specialized Riprock16. It has 16″ wheels rather than 14, but the frame seems really low, so based on the size guide it looks like it is suitable for kids of a size you’d normally stick on a 14″ wheeled bike.

I am finding the whole sizing thing a bit of a dog’s dinner to be honest. One of the more important measurements for a kid’s bike of this type should be min saddle height, but many of them don’t have that. They might have min standover height, but I take that to be for the frame – some of the size guides even showing that to be the case.

I got a secondhand Frog 43 for my sons 3rd birthday last year, and its served him well (used every single day without fail!) though he’s already at the upper end of it size-wise, so will probably look to move him on to a 20″ wheel in July when he turns 4.

It had the road-spec tyres on it which I never got around to swapping out, but they he managed just fine anyway.

It will be in the classifieds at the start of July.

Premier Icon mashr
    Free Member

Will have a proper look at that thread later, but isn’t the Riprock 16 a coaster brake?

Premier Icon letmetalktomark

Stealth ad ….. I have a 14” CNOC (Fnar, Fnar) that has just been upgraded from that will be heading into the classifieds shortly if interested ….. stealth ad.

Premier Icon molgrips

Pinnacle is best VFM, as good as the others but cheaper.

Premier Icon mashr
    Free Member

Stealth ad ….. I have a 14” CNOC (Fnar, Fnar) that has just been upgraded from that will be heading into the classifieds shortly if interested ….. stealth ad.

Feel free to send across the details

Premier Icon v7fmp
    Free Member

for my daughters 3rd birthday in March, I got her a commencal ramones 14inch bike. Thankfully after just under a year on a balance bike, she took to it like a duck to water, and now rips on it.

Its hard to gauge if its heavy or not, as I haven’t compared it to any other 14 inch wheeled bikes.

I like the fact it has disc brakes (tho not sure what brakes the other bikes you are looking at have).

It was £260, again, which I don’t consider to be mega money, but I guess that all depends on personal thoughts and preferences. And it should hold a fair chunk of that value come resale time in the next 12 months or so.

https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/ramones-14-orange-c2x29150856

Premier Icon stumpy01

mashr

Will have a proper look at that thread later, but isn’t the Riprock 16 a coaster brake?

Yeah, normal front brake & coaster rear.

I’ve seen a few people say they wouldn’t consider it because of the coaster brake, but am not quite sure why.

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

i got a specialized riprock for my kid, £50 second hand, but in basically brand new condition. Not particularly heavy, large volume tyres, not very heavy, powerful brakes, works well. I can’t see what the extra money on a posher brand would really buy.

he’s 105cm tall, I had to lop the end off the seatpost to get it low enough for him. It really is a bit big, but he hasn’t struggled with it at all. He loves the fact that the coaster brake means he can do skids

Premier Icon mashr
    Free Member

He’s got a rear brake on his balance bike and uses it very well. Coaster would be a pretty big step back imo

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

the front brake is a regular brake, so they just get to learn them both together. Its got mounts for a u brake (I think) by the BB, so you can always fit a bmx brake if you feel like the coaster isn’t working out

Premier Icon mashr
    Free Member

Going from a v-brake, to a coaster (u-brake at best, probably with mismatched levers), then back to a v one day just doesn’t make any sense at all to me. Especially when he’s already doing various wee steep things where proper control is handy

Premier Icon mtbfix

Usual advice about the quality of Islabikes and their limited depreciation. Bought a 2nd hand Cnoc 16 for our son a few years ago. It served him well and we sold it 2-3 years later for £20 less than we paid. Bargain in the long run.

Premier Icon argee

The wife got our daughter a frog 43, it’s heavy and could be better, a mate has got his daughter the CNOC 16, which weighs less and feels better, she’s outgrowing the 43 thankfully, so will get something like an islabike in the future, although now looking at that cosmos as it’s 150 quid new!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.