• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by robd.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 14″ Kids bike crank arms?
  • sirromj

3yo trying to ride his 14″ Ridgeback MX14 bike. Saddle is all the way down and he can reach the ground almost with the ball of his feet but not flat. Was trying to encourage him to pedal but it looked to me like the crank arms are too long given how much he was bending legs. The bike has 102mm crank arms, and found some 90mm crank arms on ebay, but not sure it would really make much difference? He’s not very enthusiastic about the bike yet, it’s a big step up from his Strider balance bike, much heavier, bigger, more to think about. There again, it’s only £16, hmmmm.

robd

Most likely will make a difference. Thats why companies like Frogbikes and Islabikes can charge more for their bikes as they use lots of different crank lengths on their small bikes. Islabikes use 80mm on their smallest pedal bike as an example.

sirromj

Uhuh. Yes they use 102 on their 16″. I ordered the 90mm cranks then saw your comment about the 80mm cranks made me panic search. Doesn’t seem to be any 80mm after market cranks out there.

docgeoffyjones

Might be worth sticking some stabilisers on first so he can practice pedalling for a bit.

robd

Don’t panic they use 90mm on the 14 large bike. Very hard to find decent aftermarket short cranks, theirs a reason the kids specific brands don’t sell them, you have to buy their bikes instead, much more profitable 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘14″ Kids bike crank arms?’ is closed to new replies.