Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 14 Inch XC Frames – HELP!!
  • simonpattinson
    Free Member

I am looking for a neat aluminium XC MTB 14 inch frame (new or used) to make a nice bike for my very keen 11 year old daughter to ride and race. They seem very hard to find and currently I am looking at the slightly heavy On One steel 14 inch frame.

Any ideas very welcome . . .

ratherbeintobago
    gusamc
    Free Member

4ft 10 gf on 13″ Spec Myka

wideford
    Free Member

Are you after new or second hand. As soon as i can find a 16″ Caldera or similar i will have a 13.5″ aluminum gary fisher avaiable.

ahwiles
    Free Member

genesis core?

great bikes.

rewski
    Free Member

kenesis

ahwiles
    Free Member

No, it’s definitely a ‘G’…

😉

simonpattinson
    Free Member

A great shame but they stopped making the Maxlight! Why oh why!!

highlandman
    Free Member

Kona Kula Lisa comes in a 14″, my GF’s hardtail on this frame is a bit lighter than a wee Inbred.

jonathan
    Free Member

Saw these the other day:
    http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Hardrock-Sport-Disc-26-Frame-6083-92-0.html

Spec Hardrock disk available in 13″ for £130

DanW
    Free Member

Merlin could be worth a look too, I built one up for my GF recently and it was great value

edit- I just check their site and they seem to have very limited frame availability. It could still be worth looking out for one second hand though

andyl
    Free Member

OH has a rockhopper in 15″ and it’s pretty damn small. (TT and seat stay are pretty much parallel).

missnotax
    Free Member

I’m thinking of selling my Santa Cruz Juliana frame…. XS size (about 14″), custom paint job – baby blue with Orange decals. Shock was serviced last autumn…

Let me know if you’re interested. Not broken the bike up yet but can do easily 🙂

robbo
    Free Member

I can recommend the 14″ On Ones. Build up actually quite light. My daughter loves hers – even though its black and says ‘inbred’ on it!

cp

such a shame on one stopped doing 14″ scandals 🙁

I recently built the other half a Merlin Malt 3, 15″. Great little frames, but the paint quality/finish is crap – soft and over-spray-o-rama. very light though.

she loves it 🙂

Crell
    Free Member

Cube did 13″ alloy frames a few years ago so might be worth a look. My son has one.

takisawa2

My lads 12″ Spesh Hotrock. It’s an odd looking beast.

His Mum has a 15″ version. It’s 24lb with Exotic carbon forks.

IMAG0108 by pten2106, on Flickr

PJay
    Free Member

I built up a very nice 14″ Scandal for my partner; it was very affordable too with the bundle deals that On-One had going at the time. They only appear to have 16″ frames at present (14″ have disappeared from the list too) but it does look as if there will be 14″ Inbreds in early this month.

If 15″ will do there are a couple of interesting looking options on CRC:
    Ridley Blast
    Raleigh RS-950

amedias
    Free Member

diddy Trek Alu frame on ebay

this will probably go for peanuts, they’re actually quite well put together little frames and not heavy, powdercoat in her colour of choice and could be a bargain!

moniex
    Free Member

We have a spesh rockhopper for my youngest. He had a 13.5″ and now has a 15″ (old womens fame I think). Built up not spending too much. Great comfy frames, and not too expensive used. We also have a 14″ scandal for my oldest aged 12. Light, but not so good for kids (especially girls) due to the long top tube. I prefer the rockhopper for kids.

This is my youngest son with his new bike. He is 10 and about 145cm. Bike weight 24.7lbs (as in the picture incl heavy seat/pedals etc).

Spend as much on air forks and light wheels as you can. This bike cost about £350 (still had the brakes and shifters).

Hth

Simone

mickolas
    Free Member

found this on ebay, listed for another day and 20 hrs. I’ve got the older version of the shogun cult in 14″ as a practice stunt/trials bike (not sure who I think i’m kidding with that one). mine looks a LOT like the kona shred dirt jump bike. it’s very light. most of the parts are crap but how good does a bar/stem need to be to get you going? the frame is good, but as I say I have the older one. had a look at some other pics online and can confirm that both versions are disc compatible. hope this helps:

ebay item: 181147919336

EDIT – VERY SORRY BUT JUST NOTICED THAT THE EBAY BIKE IS DIFFERENT TO ONE I LOOKED AT PICS OF, AND IT MAY NOT BE DISC COMPATIBLE AFTER ALL.

matt_outandabout

All these are under £250 build cost – an either 13.5″ or 13″:Islabike is shortest TT; Trek next; Cannondale longest (but lightest).

Carron Valley by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Trek 4300 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Comrie Croft by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Cannondale F900SL by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Callender Estates ride by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

johnny

Hoping this doesn’t come over as a thread hijack- Missnotax, is there any chance you could send me further details/photos of your Juliana? I might be interested in a frame only deal.

Email in profile, thanks.

simonpattinson
    Free Member

Missnotax
    Interested in the Santa Cruz – do you have a photo?

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Rockhopper are decent bikes in the small sizes… I managed to get a 13″ bike for my 11 year old. But complete bikes seem easier to come by than frame only.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘14 Inch XC Frames – HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.