Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 135mm hub with Deore boost cranks – how bad is the chainline?
  • sgn23
    Free Member

I’m in need of a cheap crank and chain ring for a 135mm QR hub frame. The new Shimano Deore M5100 looks superb value but it has a 52mm chainline (boost). However, Shimano claims it’s ok for 135mm spacing https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m4100/FC-M5100-1.html
    Any ideas how the extra few mm will affect the gearing? Could Shimano claim the 135mm support by moving a spacer from the drive side to non-drive side?

nixie

If it’s a bolt on ring like the picture there is no issue. Just put spacers between the ring and spider to adjust the chainline as you want it.

antigee

Shimano usually very very conservative on compatability not done but if was trying would do what you suggest on spacer hopefully someone who has done come along

bigblackshed

It will be fine. You’re over thinking this.

sgn23
    Free Member

@nixie good point about spacers between the ring and spider. I was thinking about moving spacers at the BB.

@bigblackshed
    i probably am overthinking!

reluctantjumper

A boost chainset puts the chairing in the same place as it would be using the big ring bolts on an old 2x non-boost chainset. Seeing as that’s how a lot of people upgraded to 1x without issue you shouldn’t have a problem. I upgraded one bike to 1x using a double chainset and the only difference compared to my other bike that was converted using a triple was that the alloy N/W chainring wore out after 1 chain rather than 2.

robo89
    Free Member

Looks like that version is 4 bolt spider so you can use chainring spacers, the other deores are splined.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘135mm hub with Deore boost cranks – how bad is the chainline?’ is closed to new replies.