• This topic has 41 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • £13 for a gear cable. No wonder some LBS are struggling against the internet.
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I needed one today so I probably shouldn’t be moaning, but thirteen quid seems a bit excessive.
    If most of their stuff is double what you’d pay from CRC or Wiggle no wonder a lot of cyclists avoid them. I know they have rent to pay and don’t have the buying clout of the big boys but surely they could get a little closer to the rrp?
    Maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy?

legend
    Free Member

Are we talking about 1 single, solitary, inner cable here?!

granny_ring

Reckon not.

Bregante

They were charging more than rrp?

mcnultycop

My LBS would probably fit it in that price. And make me a brew.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cable inner ? I paid £2 for he last one I bought in the LBS a month ago

njee20
    Free Member

The Shimano polymer brake inners are £20 each now. Madness.

£13 for a run of the mill inner is a rip off.

breadcrumb

I popped into a LBS for two metres of gear outer. £10. £5 per metre.

Not been back since.

vincienup
    Free Member

Last time I needed an inner right now only Decathlon was open. PTFE cable for about a fiver…

My LBS does sell plain SS Jagwire immersed for a couple of quid though. 🙂

ppapa
    Free Member

£2 here. Fitted and indexed…

Ended up spending nearly £40 for the accessories I needed as I just wasn’t feeling comfortable paying £2 for all the effort and actually two cables (because the mechanic bent the first one which I wasn’t charged for).

Sundayjumper

I popped into a LBS for two metres of gear outer. £10. £5 per metre.

Not been back since.“

Identical experience, identical numbers, five years ago !

boxelder

£8 here for outer and inner, no ferrules. Happy with that, bought mid-ride, had no money, so they let me take it and phone to pay later.

scruff9252

Similar experience here; Two new inners fitted & one of the outers spit and barrel adjuster inserted. £37. Ouch!

treklee
    Free Member

Inner outer with ferrule and putter ends 2.95£

shifter
    Free Member

I paid £20 for an inner & outer for my front mech at Degla last year. I initially walked away but then I had second thoughts because I didn’t have my cutters, I was a long way from home and I’m stupid for not doing it earlier.
    He did do a great job.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Yep one solitary gear cable inner.
    It was Teflon coated but to say I was a bit surprised at the cost was an understatement.

plecostomus
    Free Member

What brand cable? Won’t be a shimano one they are circa £16.99 for a polymer one and then £3.99 for a steel one I’d be grumpy at that price too and I work in the trade. You could have got a whole set for about £15.00 with shimano sp41 outer and ferrules

km79
    Free Member

Doesn’t surprise me. I messed up when measuring and cutting outer once on a bike build. Needed a new length to get out for a first run later that day. Popped into LBS to see what they had. Shimano SP41 at £1 per 100mm off the roll. Asked the guy if he was sure about the price and he took the huff. I left and haven’t been back since.

jekkyl

I too have been ripped off my cable inners at lbs, Wilkinson’s now and they are £2 there.

wrecker
    Free Member

I bought this;
    http://www.woollyhatshop.com/jagwire-inner-road-or-mountain-bike-gear-cable-x-100
    They seem as good as any I have used.

bails

I use the Clarks stuff from Halfords if I’m in a rush. Cheap and good. Lifeline from Wiggle is a bit cheaper and just as good.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Shimano ones for the 11 speed groups are still £15 even from crc.
    At work sram pit stop stainless ones are £3 and rrp for shimano sp41 casing is £6 a meter.
    But for normaly charge £5 for inner and casing together with Clarkes jagwire etc

jimw
    Free Member

£3.50 for a stainless cable and six ferrules from my LBS last week. Not Teflon coated but servicable.

Seemed good value to me. Not surprisingly I will be going back.

rOcKeTdOg

Ours are £2.99

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Hmmm… I got charged over rrp the other day for some lube. I was most miffed. I thought it was a bit much but he’d made a great deal about finding it at the back of the shop and I felt uncomfortable about walking out without buying.

Checked the rrp online. Won’t be shopping there again but to be honest it was not my favourite lbs because the bloke is a surly fella with a bit of an attitude. Should have gone down the road.

singlespeedstu

Ours are £2.99

Who’s ” ours?”

Pierre

We only use smooth stainless steel gear inners in the shop (well, we’ll stock the Sil-tec / teflon ones for those that think they’re worth the extra). Normally £2 each.

Depending on how complex the bike / cabling is, we’ll charge around a tenner to pop the bike in the stand and fit it.

I don’t think we’re struggling against the Internet on this one. What we’re struggling with is people who think paying more than £60 for a pair of Conti GP4000s is extortion, and then expect free tubes and fitting. Although when I say “struggling”, I mean “politely declining”.

geoffj

It’s good to see shops selling above RRP where they can – another nail in the coffin of lazy retailing.

kerley
    Free Member

My last venture into LBS’ was when urgently required a new GXP BB. First two shops didn’t actually know what they were and offered completely wrong BBs, third shop also didn’t know but they happened to have one after I explained what they were. Walked away paying 50% more than I could have got one online but couldn’t wait as wanted to use bike.

Bike shops for me are for absolute emergencies and only then if I have a few hours spare to go round a few shops before getting what I need.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I really am all for keeping LBS open, so if it’s just a bit more than the internet I’d rather buy it locally.
    I don’t like feeling completely ripped off though, which is a shame as I now wouldn’t go back there for anything else.
    More power to all the other bike shops who do provide a good service though. Happy customers=returning customers.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I know they have rent to pay and don’t have the buying clout of the big boys but surely they could get a little closer to the rrp?

So what is the actual RRP of the cable you were sold ?
    There are inner cables out there that are more expensive than that so are you sure you have been over charged .
    Could you have asked if they had anything cheaper ?
    Did that price include fitting ?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

So what is the actual RRP of the cable you were sold ? probably a lot less than that
    There are inner cables out there that are more expensive than that so are you sure you have been over charged . There are indeed, but I’m guessing this one was not made of unicorn horn
    Could you have asked if they had anything cheaper ? I expect the OP would have got – the look
    Did that price include fitting ? I don’t get that impression from the OP’s post…do you?

Sounds like more typical LBS piss taking to me. They aren’t all like that, but the story’s unsurprising – as some are

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Why don’t you wait until you are in posession of at least some of the facts before commenting . Before somebody else says it I know this is STW and the truth is irrelevant .

wilburt
    Free Member

To a oid relying on anyone else I buy several from wiggle along with a few other regularly needed spares and top up stock when running low.
    #callyourselfcyclists

rob2
    Free Member

My local bike shop (a local chain of three shops) will price match. Went in the other day and he couldn’t match wiggle for a 105 rear mech but did within £5. I was pretty pleased with that and good service. Bought two frog bikes off them too and service was good then.

Clearly off the original post topic 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

I paid £90 for a cable from CRC once
    Only wanted the cable but I had a voucher for £10 off a £100 spend….

bm0p700f
    Free Member

It is actually cheaper for me to buy a 105 mech of wiggle than buy one of madison. I am in the trade so this is rubbish. Also why i am changing my business model as the a shops can longer sell shimano kit at a competative price. If shops are relying on price matching to keep customers that ultimatkey will loose them moneh in the long run as it takes tkme to order the part, time to un pack it time to phone the customer to let them know it is in i.e as loss. It no longer makes sense to keep stock of shimano parts either as you cant turn a profit on them at sale.

It wont be long before bike shops start buying all there shimano goods of wiggle or crc and raise there labour rates to compensate.

simondbarnes

Difficult to know if you were hard done by or not without knowing exactly which cable you bought.

Shimano polymer coated are £19.99 each
    Shimano sil-tec are £14.99 each
    Shimano opticslick are £11.99 each
    Shimano stainless are £6.99 each

choppersquad
    Free Member

It was a bog standard no-name Teflon coated inner.
    Jagwire ones are only seven quid on-line.
    Did I mention it actually went up by a quid during the guys walk to the till?
    It doesn’t really matter as it’s only a small part, but just wondered if anyone thought it was a tad steep too?

ctk
    Free Member

Yes pricey- unless it was a Shimano or some other brand.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘£13 for a gear cable. No wonder some LBS are struggling against the internet.’ is closed to new replies.