• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by fossy.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 12speed shifter/mech combo with the lightest thumb action?
  • Jordan

So, following a sprain I have developed arthritis in both ends of my right thumb metacarpal bone. This causes pain with many everyday tasks but particularly when using the thumb shifter to push into lower gears so I am looking for a solution.

Currently running Sram X01 which I think is well maintained and shifts no worse than it ever did when new. Recently had a go on a bike equiped with XTR which seemed much easier so am wondering what else might be out there?

I know AXS would be the obvious answer but not currently in a position to afford it.

Gribs

XT shifter/mech combo is pretty light but this sounds like a perfect use for the axs gx upgrade kit.

martinhutch

I’ve not noticed much difference between xtr and xt, if that helps. The triple upshift on Shimano (and two-way release) may suit you too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hate to say it, but would gripshift help?

ansdy

I’d have a look at a shimano mech – you can back off the clutch to just the amount of resistance your riding requires. I did this with my 6 year old as he’s not exactly bouncing the chain off and it leaves a nice light action at the shifter.

Jordan

Cheers for suggestions folks! So, would the XT mech be compatible with the Sram drivetrain?

mboy
    Free Member

Currently running Sram X01 which I think is well maintained and shifts no worse than it ever did when new. Recently had a go on a bike equiped with XTR which seemed much easier so am wondering what else might be out there?

I’d suggest that your X01 setup could be improved if this is the case… New SP41 outer, proper 1.1mm slick inner cable… Worth giving it a go for a few quid. I have X01 on 3 bikes and it’s quite a bit lighter than various XT 12spd setups I’ve used, and though XTR is lighter than XT it wasn’t any lighter than my own X01 setups.

If it’s a real issue like you say it is though, I’d just get a GX AXS setup ASAP and bung it on the credit card so you can keep riding… Because there’s no physical effort required to make the shift, it’s a much lighter action. I didn’t get on with it myself for ergonomic reasons, but it would be perfect for what you want. Also there will be pretty decent residual value in your X01 shifter and mech too so shouldn’t sting too much on the purchase price…

Hate to say it, but would gripshift help?

Or this… Gripshift might be unfashionable these days, and obviously no good for really technical riding, but if you’re not pushing the envelope and/or more of an XC bimbler anyway, arguably Gripshift should still be a lot more popular these days than it actually is!

Jordan

@mboy I’m a bimbler uphill but more of an enthuastic mincer downhill, think enduro stages riden badly! So, gripshift might not be ideal.

TBH I hadn’t considered selling the old kit on to recoup costs but it’s a good idea and makes the GX more affordable. I might try the new cable aproach first though following what you say re xt vs x01.

ansdy

12 speed SRAM / Shimano is cross compatible

ansdy

Am I right you could also run your shifter on your left hand with AXS?

ta11pau1

Am I right you could also run your shifter on your left hand with AXS?

Not really, the controller/shifter faces right so it’d be in completely the wrong place.

The only way to get a shift on the left side is with having the AXS reverb remote as well.

Tbh the AXS shifting is super light and short throw, worth trying the updated rocker paddle as I have above too.

iainc

I have arthritic thumbs, left worse. I now have AXS shifting and droppers on both MTBs. It is a revelation, but not cheap.

joebristol

I wouldn’t swap from sram to Shimano if you struggle with thumbs. The Shimano mechs gradually get stiffer as the pivot fills up with junk.

My GX eagle shifter has a much lighter action than my xt 12 speed. Even when both have new cables and outers.

5lab

Can you add a paddle extender like for the cheap 8 speed shifters?

Jordan

@5lab I didn’t realise there was such a thing but google say there is. Might be worth a shot cheers!

matt_outandabout

I find good cables make all the difference.

The current 60% sale at bikester includes the really posh slick shift Shimano cable sets.

bikesandboots

The Shimano XT shifters are need more force than the SLX and Deore.

This thread may be of interest as a cheaper alternative to AXS (I haven’t read it) https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/alternative-wireless-shifting-psa-50-off/

fossy

Cables, change them. Soon gunk up.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.