Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • 12spd regret?
  • Premier Icon postierich
    Free Member

At least the NX cassette fits a shimano hub

Premier Icon samuelr
    Free Member

Once Hope license the new freehub I’ll be getting 12 speed xtr.
    I have heard that xtr rd and shifter work well with the sram gx and x01 cassette.

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Not really
    Gx casette is a bit neater/ lighter
    Guarantee you would have no idea what you were riding

Disagree… STRONGLY!

GX is the pick of SRAM’s range for performance per £… NX Eagle is impressive in that they can do it for the price, but for only a small saving over GX, it’s a lot heavier, and it feels a lot cheaper (shifter especially) in use. For the small extra outlay, GX is just sooooo much nicer to use! It’s the same weight as Shimano XT give or take a few grammes here or there, it’s cheaper, has much more cassette range and the cassettes and chains last waaaaay longer…

X01 Eagle is wonderful, I’ve had a setup since it came out, cassette life is staggeringly good, chain life is way better than any 11spd I have found (typically was getting 400-500 miles to an 11spd chain before it stretched to 0.75%, am getting twice that from a 12spd!). To be fair though, it’s bloody expensive, and in use it’s only the shifter that you could actually tell any difference from the GX, but X01 is about 2.5x the price of GX at RRP!

Only reason not to go 12spd is if you’re a real weight weenie, 11spd SRAM stuff is quite a bit lighter like for like than 12spd, if that matters…

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

At least the NX cassette fits a shimano hub

I’d rather spend the money to change freehub… The NX cassette really is a lump!

Premier Icon bigrich
    Free Member

I’m still 10speed with one of these.

http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csms3

Premier Icon montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve worn out plenty of chainrings – but not the 32T Hope that went on the same time as that cassette pictured last page. Badly hooked, yes, but still working, pictured below with its Works Components replacement for reference:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2d6uGsn]chainrings[/url] by tracksterman, on Flickr

Premier Icon djflexure

Re NX v Gx: the reality at present is that if you are buying separates then you will end up with a GX shifter and derailleur as there is no cost saving from going NX (probably means they are fairly similar too).
    You then have a choice of cassette. Sure the GX is lighter and better, but NX also works fine and while some may instantly recognise the leg sapping effort involved in moving around with an additional 200g placed on the rear axle, I imagine many will be OK with it.

Premier Icon reggiegasket
    Free Member

yeah I stayed 11spd due to weight and preferring Shimano shifters.

I recently bought a new Scott Scale that had full Sram 12spd (mix of GX and X0) but the cassette was GX and a lump, and I couldn’t afford at the time to upgrade to the 1295/1299 cassette so I went back to 11 (XTR shifter, XT mech on a 1195 cassette)

I’m tempted by the XTR12 shifter on a Sram 1295/1299 cassette in the future though, maybe.

I’m really holding out for MTB eTap…

Premier Icon richardthird

My new ride comes with 12s NX.

Thats coming off for 11s XG1175 10-42 with XT mech & shifter. Keeping the NX cranks though, to take a 28t superstar oval.

Saves 500g mostly off the rear wheel. I’m not a big fan of SRAM shifting nor massive cassettes tbh.

Premier Icon tomhoward

I’m really holding out for MTB eTap…

This. Then the mechanical stuff will be transferred to the bikes still with 11s

Premier Icon andybrad

my new bike has 12s GX.

coming from 10spxt i feel like its a step back.

Premier Icon sirromj

Well I don’t see any 9spd regret threads.

Premier Icon tomhoward

Well I don’t see any 9spd regret threads.

No one can remember that far back.

Premier Icon montgomery
    Free Member

And that’s the M8000 jockey wheels off, ready for the new drivetrain.

Given that I’ve replaced the cassette, jockeys, chain and chainring for less than a hundred quid (and arguably made it more functional into the process), I’m struggling to see why someone in a similar situation would want to spend five times that. Not so much 12spd regrets as 12spd…why? It’s not the same deal as changing, say, 3×9 to 1×11; the difference would be tiny.

Premier Icon johnw1984

I do get what a lot of you are saying from a cost perspective. I considered 12 speed for my new hardtail build, but I already had 11 speed X0 sat in my spares.

All my wheels are XD freehubs though, so realistically I can only go to 42t cassette without a freehub change. It’s not like I “need” any more though, but it is nice when you reach for that last gear when you’re hurting 🙂

The one thing I do prefer with Shimano is the jockey wheels not using bearings. Pain in the arse when they start seizing.

Premier Icon nickfrog
    Free Member

Why would it be 5 times more ? I bought a full GX Eagle Drivetrain (cassette, mech, shifter and chain) for £190 last month from Merlin. That compares well against the £100 above.
    My XT M8000 jockeys do have bearings which only lasted 1 year and had to be upgraded to Hope…

Premier Icon pedlad

Just bought the 12 speed sunrace setup as mentioned on other thread. Will report back once used for a bit.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

No regrets going to GX Eagle here.

I didn’t *need* 12 speed but I did want it.lol

As it happens I do use the 50T more than I thought I would. Ie. I’m even less fit than I thought I was! 😊

Premier Icon montgomery
    Free Member

Why would it be 5 times more ?

First post, last page.

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

@postierich – this article http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/sram-eagle-review/ compares prices (US obviously) and weights of the three levels of Sram 12spd drivetrains.

@johnw1984 – chainring wear seems to depend on the manufacturer, Raceface wear pretty quick but Absolute Black are better, Hope aren’t too bad. Not tried any others.

As @djflexure says – I’ve never noticed what cassette is on the bike when I’m riding it.

Premier Icon oikeith

I’m trying to breathe more life into 11spd for this year with a garbaruk 10-48t cassette

@Backbear do update as to how the fitting and first ride goes, I’ll be due a drivetrain refresh soon and this seemed to tick the boxes.

Premier Icon johnw1984

Hmm, those Garbaruk cassettes aren’t as expensive as I remember. I’d be tempted to try one on the hardtail when it’s time to change.

Premier Icon chilled76
    Free Member

Where can you buy garabuk in the UK?

I thought they were about £200 for a cassette. I ordered an Eagle groupset (boost gxp) for £280 from CRC yesterday – they are £290 but I used the BC tenner- for me having a complete new set up for that cost is a no brainer. I’ll probably sell the cranks though and buy a used carbon x0 one from eBay but pinch the boost ring that came with the set up.

Premier Icon andybrad

with regards to the GX stuff and peoples suggestion that the jockey wheels are a weak link is there anything that can be done as preventative maintenance on them?

Premier Icon chilled76
    Free Member

You can remove them and carefully prise seals- pack with marine grease. Be careful when you do this, they are directional and also the little washers are all different.

I bought some expensive ones from KA Engineering and bent them- well annoyed as they were £60!

Went back to the standard ones.

Premier Icon Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You can just chuck any old jockey wheels in there if you’re that concerned.

I snapped one in my X01 mech with a rock getting jammed in the cage, I had an old X-0 9speed mech that was bent from my DH bike days. I just took one out of that 6 months ago, put it in & forgot about it.

Premier Icon oikeith

Where can you buy garabuk in the UK?

Looking R2-Bike sell them in Euros, worked out just under £200 when converting and chuck in a chain its very close to Eagle GX price. I like it as the 11 speed SRAM mechs arent as big as the eagles ones and the 10-46 would give me the extra bailout gear which would be useful on long days out.

I have gone back and looked at them but they dont fit Hope pro4 hubs!

Premier Icon nickfrog
    Free Member

Why would it be 5 times more ?

First post, last page.

A bit confusing. You spent £100 with partial XT replacement when an entire GX Drivetrain minus the cranks is £190 brand new. I don’t get how 12 speed is 5 times more. It’s hardly more than 11 speed like for like and the cassette will last much longer than the XT cassette.

Premier Icon gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Regarding the jockey wheels,on top of cleaning/re greasing the bearings it’s also very easy and cheap (under £2 a set) to replace them when they do wear too much or corrode/seize.

Bearing Replacement

Bearings

Premier Icon montgomery
    Free Member

It really isn’t confusing.

My 11 XT speed drivetrain is shagged. The OP’s 11 speed XT drivetrain is shagged. In his first post he quoted £500 to ‘upgrade’ to his chosen level of 12 speed. I pointed out that I had already bought replacement parts for less than £100 (about £90), including a cassette that should also last a lot longer than an XT cassette. Even lowering the level of 12 speed ‘upgrade’ he’s going to spend 2-3 times that (Merlin seems to be out of stock on most GX stuff).

The thread is about cost, benefit and regret. It’s his money. He can do what he wants. Just pointing out options.

Premier Icon nickfrog
    Free Member

Good to see that you agree it’s not £500 like for like but close to £200 to go to 12 speed, and that’s with new everything, including mech and shifter (and jockey wheels of course). Just pointing out options.

Premier Icon oikeith

Regarding the jockey wheels,on top of cleaning/re greasing the bearings it’s also very easy and cheap (under £2 a set) to replace them when they do wear too much or corrode/seize.

Bearing Replacement

Bearings

The article gives the size 6 x 19 x 6 but the ebay link is 6 x 22 x 7?

Premier Icon fooman
    Free Member

Just a heads up Planet X have SRAM GX Eagle mech for £55, trigger £21 and cassette £89 – plus there are a couple of cheaper cassette options if you have a Shimano hub (NX or Sunrace MZ90 which I rate). Add a chain and NW chainring and you’ve gone 12 speed for under 200 notes!

Premier Icon gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Oikeith – good catch on the bearings-these are the ones that I bought – 626 2rs NOT the 636 I linked to by mistake :
    626 2rs Bearings

Premier Icon shortcut

I’ve been running 12 speed for about 2 years now following the dawning that big events in big hills don’t work for me with 32 front and 40 or 42 back. So I went Eagle and am very happy with it.

I get a useful range which sees little walking.

Longevity wise I am not experiencing any issues at all and tend to run a couple of chains to the cassette and then retire it all before it’s completely broken.
    Yes, it is a bit steep but it is good.
    The only regret I have is trying XTR where i found the new 12 speed mech is a little delicate and will snap in two if you put a stick in it.

Premier Icon whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’ve been eyeing up the gx eagle, but for the time being Running 11 speed on 3 bikes

2 on XTR shifter /Xt mech / kmc chains
    And 11-46t xt cassette and 11-46 sunrace mx8 with a 34t oval and a 34t

And then x1 shifter / gx mech 11-46 sunrace / 32t

I prefer the feel of shimano shifters although the sram doesn’t miss a beat ,
    The NX 11 speed felt cheap and bulky,
    all cassettes will soon be sunrace, better range than shimano

Think I’ll go XT 12 speed eventually,
    So I can run a 36t chainring for the extra pedal speed.

Presently I’m not seeing an advantage to the 12 speed cost/benefit

Ps 2 mates have regretted 12s sram bother have shattered derailleurs (although both replaces under warranty) mainly riding offpiste catching heather or bits of wood

Premier Icon tomhoward

Looks like those waiting for a full 12 speed Shimano group at a reasonable price might be in for a bit of a wait…

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shimanos-new-xtr-drivetrain-still-isnt-available.html

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘12spd regret?’ is closed to new replies.