Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 125cc Scooters
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Looking at getting one to commute to work when I get to Oz. Ultimately will probably get a “proper” bike but as yet not bike license and no time to take one.

Honda? Suzuki? Cheap no-brand Chinese type? I know zip about them other than they twist and go.

JAG

IF you’re serious about getting a bigger bike afterwards I wouldn’t buy a twist-n-go scooter.

Instead buy a 125cc motorbike with a clutch and some gears to give you some practice at managing the controls. It’ll pay dividends when you come to do your test.

I would choose a decent Japanese brand so that it has some re-sale value 😆

sc-xc

Scooter or moped? 😀

xcstu
    Free Member

If you go for a scooter only 1 for me Honda pcx 🙂

ianpinder
    Free Member

I’m going to be doing this, I have my cbt in two weeks. I was looking at the honda cbf 125, i will probably buy new, looking at second hand values they do not seem to loose any money! then when I want a bigger bike, i will just sell it/trade it in, and won’t loose much money!

If you are going to be buying a bigger bike, then definitely get a geared motorbike. Saying that, mopeds do offer better weather protection and kit storage….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IF you’re serious about getting a bigger bike afterwards I wouldn’t buy a twist-n-go scooter.
    Instead buy a 125cc motorbike with a clutch and some gears to give you some practice at managing the controls. It’ll pay dividends when you come to do your test.
    I would choose a decent Japanese brand so that it has some re-sale value

Agreed. But personally if you want a decent scooter, get an Italian one.

Other than that I can’t think of a worse country to ride a bike than Australia. Woeful driving standards out there. I’ve ridden through Italy but I’d think twice about riding through Sydney.

mattythemod
    Free Member

I ride a 125 cc scooter and a 500 cc Tmax on a regular basis , Honda PCX , Suzuki Hyate and Yamaha Nuevo are all good reliable bikes that command good resale values and dont fall to bits like the china copies !

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

command good resale values

Check out used Vespa prices…. I reckon we could make a profit on ours after 3 years! 🙂

br
    Free Member

But it depends on the Aussie m/c rules, and yes like most places that focus on speed (or breaking it), they drive pretty crap.

donsimon
    Free Member

Scooters are great fun, but do be careful.
    http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=36095

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Scooters are for looking cool on and taking your time . . .

please don’t ride a scooter that looks like a dumbed down motorbike, or ride it like your doing 200 miles an hour, makes me cringe everytime . .

i don’t have one by the way…sounds to me like your a biker, get a 125 motorbike.

eyerideit
    Free Member

It’s you’re set on a scooter you could get one of these

You can also get a 180cc version 0-60 in 4 secs 😯 😯 8O.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Pop along to Deus Bikes and grab one of these 🙂

Or any other for that matter. Personally I love the Mouse Trap.

Deus Ex Machina

donsimon
    Free Member

Pop along to Deus Bikes and grab one of these

Why?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well, not the fastest but the Honda varadero is about the only 125 you can put a full grown man on without it looking like a clown bike.

rp16v
    Free Member

for reliability on a twist and go stick with gilera,piaggio,honda as there eingines are really strong and rack up milage really well,avoid 2strokes in hot climate as they are tempermental with weather change(mines a pita on hot days).

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah. Turns out Western Australia is different and I’d have to ride a 50cc for a year before moving up a category to up to 200cc.

Small cheap car it is then.

grantway
    Free Member

One of these please

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ86A1O9OcM[/video]

grantway
    Free Member

Or a T-Rex

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_2OnW5VutQ&feature=related[/video]

maxray
    Free Member

How did the CBT go ianpinder? I had mine last week… decided to go straight to DAS though and bypass the 125. Hopefully get mod1/2 done in September 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL @ the tron bike “never seen going round a corner” 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

Deus… the little one looked OK I guess BUT:- other than the silencer looks like an off day in my shed!!

hora
    Free Member

I hate the anti-scooter snobbery. Shitty crap. Scooters are awesome.

I wish they’d make the Honda monkeybike again.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Honda PCX all the way. Quiet, cheap to run, nice looking and very sturdy. My missus has thrown hers down the road twice now and its only suffered cosmetic damage, and of that nothing is hanging off, just scratched/cracked. Starts first time everytime and costs naff all to fill up for ~200 miles.

konabunny
    Free Member

Turns out Western Australia is different and I’d have to ride a 50cc for a year before moving up a category to up to 200cc.

Are you sure? I’ll come and reread properly but I don’t see that here: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20617.asp

Also: would you have time to do a Direct Access course before you left the UK? And will you be a Permanent Resident or Citizen of Australia?

hels
    Free Member

Can I just sound a wee note of caution here. You are moving to a different country, and it may shock you to know that the road rules are different. So saddle yourself with a brand new scooter that you can’t really ride properly, when you don’t really understand how the traffic works. Duh.

It kind of annoys me when Poms go on about the bad driving in NZ and Australia, usually they just haven’t bothered reading the road rules as it doesn’t occur to them that what is going on may be perfectly legal traffic moves. And from the country that came up with a system that the only way to turn right at traffic lights is to gun it when the light goes red and hope nobody else is running the light. Yeah.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Two words… Hook Turn.

😯

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Err…OK Hels.

On the whole though, having spent the last 2 years in WA I can say that

= lots of Aussies can’t merge
    = lots of Aussies haven’t got a clue where the lights are in the car and blatantly don’t look at the dash / mirror(s)
    = can’t approach or exit islands
    = like to scream at cyclists
    = like to throw glass bottles in cycle lanes
    = own pointless V8 utes

Ooo-roo.

ianpinder
    Free Member

LOL,

Motorbike theory test today!!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Good luck Ian. Look both ways for oncoming Antipodeans.

hels
    Free Member

Having spent 17 years in the UK I can say that UK drivers

– have no idea what that stick attached to the steering column does
    – don’t understand how to use roundabouts, which is ironic considering the proliferation
    – never ever ever check their blindspot before pulling out
    – don’t get why middle lane hogging is bad
    – think the French are bad drivers
    – think parking on the wrong side of the road is acceptable and proper
    – routinely reverse out of driveways
    – drive a Nissan Micra and are straight

I could go on. But yes, good luck with your test ! Perhaps like TJs surveys about how helmet use makes it more dangerous on the road, it will protect you…

lord
    Free Member

vespas are ace , wish id got 1 years ago 😀

hora
    Free Member

Lord . NICE

ianpinder
    Free Member

Motorbike theory test passed. If anyone is reading this and needs the books for theirs drop me an email and I’ll pop mine in the post.

Going for the 4 day direct access soon I think!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘125cc Scooters’ is closed to new replies.