Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 120mm fork instead of 130mm
  • 136stu
    Free Member

Fairly sure I wont die but would it make my bike (Trek Fuel Ex) an unmanageable beast?

dc1988

Are you lowering an existing fork or is it a completely different model? The axle to crown measurement is the thing you need to keep relatively close.

thols2

I doubt that you would notice the difference, assuming the forks are of similar spec apart from travel.

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, unless I wanted to race XC on it or something.

Is there a compelling reason to do it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

3 posts and no mention of off-set, this forum has gone to the dogs I tell you, the dogs!!!!

136stu
    Free Member

Struggling to find 130 in a suitable spec, 120 is available with same offset (51mm) but axle to crown is less, by approx 10mm. So front end will be lower.

Think I’ll make do and wait.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s 10mm, just stick some more air in.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re interested in secondhand forks, I have a Fox 34 Performance Elite in 130mm and 51mm offset that I’ll be selling v soon.

Only a few rides since a full service.

🙂

Yak

Is it the same fork with a different travel? Ie can you swap an air shaft?

mrhoppy

The Fuel Ex should have had a 140mm fork anyway imo, rides better that way so I’d be reluctant to fit 120.

roverpig

Swapped a 130mm Pike with 51mm offset for a 120mm Fox 34 with 42mm offset and couldn’t feel any difference other than the Fox one actually working properly. Ten mm is the thickness of my little finger so I’d be pretty impressed if I could feel that small a difference really.

Ps I’ve set some PRs both up and down on the shorter fork, but that probably has more to do with it working properly.

dannyh
    Free Member

It all depends on the frame and basically everything else.

I swapped a coil 130mm recon for an air 120mm Reba back in the day on a 456 evo 2 and it revolutionised the bike. To the point where I still think it was my favourite ever bike. Then some bastard nicked it.

But that was more to do with weight, ‘quality’ of travel and geometry combined (the bike, not the theft).

faz71

I went the other way and fitted a 170 air shaft to my Remedy (>10mm) after reading how much better it is and seeing a cheap (£12!) one on eBay. The difference is…. minimal.

dc1988

If it will only be 10mm change then it won’t be a massive difference, you could get a spacer bottom headset cup that would leave you with the same a2c measurement.

Reverse components angle spacer bottom cup(or something like that!). It’s less than £20 and means you can keep all the angles the same with the new fork.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘120mm fork instead of 130mm’ is closed to new replies.