Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 12 Year Old needs a new bike What do yours have?
  • Premier Icon johnski15
    Free Member

My lad is 12, 5Ft tall and ready for a new bike.

I’ve custom built his last 2. He’s just coming off a custom 26er, 13″ HT frame.

I’m looking for (unless otherwise persuaded / advised) an XS Full susser or trail HT.

What have you bought / built for your kids?

Thanks,

John

Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

Trek Ex junior

Premier Icon Tracey

Thinking back at that age my girls had bikes built up from frames and parts sourced from on here and Ebay, the frames were powder coated in the colours of their choosing at LSN in Castleford.
    Katie was on a pearlescent turquoise Specialized Enduro and Abigale on a metal flake pink Giant Reign. Both smalls.
    As they outgrew them both bikes found new homes. I think they were both sold on here, one to Scotland and the other to Ireland and the proceeds went towards building/buying their next bikes
    All these years later we are still doing the same

Premier Icon weeksy

Specialized S Works Enduro..

Although that is a little on the unusual side i admit.

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

Lewis had a transition scout when he was 12

Premier Icon johnski15
    Free Member

Hi Tracey,

I’ve done that for the last few years – had a frame powder coated at a place in Doncaster (Danum Powder Coatings – black with silver fleck – looks ace) and built them up with nice bits and pieces.

I’ve looked at small FS’s, I ride a Small Nukeproof Mega, and it’s way too big / heavy.

I was looking at Norco XS Fluid’s FS – they seem about right for his height weight.

Also, Liv Intrigue XS look a good option.

I was looking at a small Nukeproof Scout 275 & Ragley Mmmbopp – but the reach on both are far too long.

I’m struggling a little to find something modern i.e. Boost rear end (with trough axel) and tapered headtube.

John

Premier Icon johnski15
    Free Member

@Weeksey

Is the Spesh the one you bought off Tracey – if so, can you be my dad?

Premier Icon BigM
    Free Member

Mine had a Stumpjumper FSR size small 27.5 wheels, bought it 2nd hand, he rode it for a couple of years before he had a growth sourt.

Premier Icon weeksy

@Weeksey

Is the Spesh the one you bought off Tracey – if so, can you be my dad?

Yes… errrrm no… i can’t afford this child, let alone another one.

Premier Icon weeksy

Also, Liv Intrigue XS look a good option.

Embolden is a good shout from Liv too.

Premier Icon johnski15
    Free Member

@poah

Any chance you can be my dad too?

It’s the reach that is the issue, new frames are very long, my 2017 Small Mega has a reach of 410mm and it’s too long for my son.

John

Premier Icon johnski15
    Free Member

Yes… errrrm no… i can’t afford this child, let alone another one.

hahahahaha shame

Premier Icon johnski15
    Free Member

Embolden is a good shout from Liv too.

Agreed – like that bike, but (minor) has 9/12mm QR at the back

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

I’m looking for (unless otherwise persuaded / advised) an XS Full susser or trail HT.

He’s just coming off a custom 26er, 13″ HT frame.

I’m a bit lost as to why you want to buy a smaller bike than his current one?

The obvious seems to be a medium size frame if he’s outgrown the small.

I’ve looked at small FS’s, I ride a Small Nukeproof Mega, and it’s way too big / heavy.

How did you get to the point of the 13″ 26er?
    Mine was riding a small 27.5 with 26″ wheels way before he could have ridden a 26er frame with 26″ wheels.

He’s probably about 5′ now 2 years on and riding a small 27.5 with 27.5 wheels which is obviously the same size as a small 26 with 26″ wheels.

He has been riding my Medium XC most of the summer during lockdown. He also rode my size L mega which admittedly is too big but that’s 2 sizes bigger?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

We had various 26″ wheeled wagons, and about 12/13 they moved from HT to FS.

Be aware that they are still only just getting strength, so we erred on lightness rather than beefy DH, kept bars at suitable teenage width, tried to find some shorter cranks still.

Best two we had was an Orange 5 and this wee Stumpy.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/21ixSJ1]October Half Term 2017[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

It’s the reach that is the issue, new frames are very long, my 2017 Small Mega has a reach of 410mm and it’s too long for my son.

That’s shorter than my lads bike (OK only by 1mm) but he’s probably under 5′ now and been riding it 2 yrs. He’s been limited to a Pike on the front as a Lyrik or 36 would be heavier

Premier Icon weeksy

Agreed – like that bike, but (minor) has 9/12mm QR at the back

Yes, but it’s irrelevant. It will be a 12 month bike tops, my lad had his Embolden for 7 months as he grew and grew.

Premier Icon euain

Mine nicks my bikes but he’s huge! He’s very comfortable on my Rocket and Stage 4.

Seems to be an age where suddenly they get stronger and fitter – or I’m getting a lot slower.

To make the bike sharing easier, I’ve bought (but don’t expect to see much of) a Bird AM9 (in Large, he’s quite tall for his age).

He’s just grown out of a Saracen Kili Flier full suspension which served him very well.

Premier Icon pedlad

Old XS Orange Five I picked up for my eldest a few years ago. Just rebuilt it for the youngest now with 1×10, new brakes and a revamped fork via TFT tuned. Cracking little bike that should recoup some of the spending when he outgrows it.

Premier Icon i_like_food

My 10 yr old is on an XS Giant Trance, built as per Tracey’s plan, all secondhand and built by me. Slackened it off a little with an offset bushing and all is good.

Premier Icon tomtomthepipersson

My 12 year old rides a 17″ Saracen Zen+ with 29er wheels (rather than 27.5). He’s 5ft 4 or there about.

The frame was a bit over a hundred quid off eBay. Built mainly from spares bar a cassette, fork and dropper.

(excuse the balding lawn)

Premier Icon vicksplace

Don’t have kids but plus 1 to the Liv bikes. Decent small bikes I really like mine can often be had cheap too.

Premier Icon bubs

My 12 year old moved onto a medium P7 from an XS BFe (both 26”). He’s got on really well with both of them and will eventually inherit my large Soul (to keep him away from my other bikes). Seems a great use for all my nice but old 26” stuff and bargains are to be had on 26” frames (apart from our old XS BFe now which appeared on eBay for 6x the price we sold it to the STW’er for!).

Premier Icon brads

YT capra cf pro race for Ayden. (13)(grandson)
    Size medium so hoping for a long time out of it for obvious reasons.
    Watching him drift a hard tail and nearly highside into the trees prompted my upgrade.

Premier Icon jkomo

I’ve got a 2009 Trance in small, which
    I kept for my boys, who outgrew it. Anyway it has a low stand over, and is very light (rebas xt/deore) old school geo so plenty of room for a shorter stem. Brakes work very well but are mismatched shimano/ something.
    If you’re near Banbury pop over and try it out.

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

@johnski15

reach wasn’t bad as it was a 2015 bike reach was 406mm. ETT wasn’t bad either.

stand over on the other hand was not great but it was a bike I had so no point buying another.

Premier Icon pobaker
    Free Member

Whatever you can find in the pinkbike classifieds (or other) that is the best balance of cost to quality! They grow quickly and you can find a few older (e.g. non-boost etc) bikes for quite good prices.
    My 11 year old (who is quite short for his age) is on an XS Canyon Spectral (27.5) I found on pinkbike. Got a really good deal on it and has factory 34s, DT Swiss wheels and XT drivetrain. quite a light bike which is good for him, as he is small and light its plenty stiff enough for full on downhill as well as long rides. When he outgrows it I will probably find another bargain non-boost FS frame in either S or M and move the parts over.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

Seems a great use for all my nice but old 26” stuff and bargains are to be had on 26” frames

I haven’t paid over 350 for a 27.5 frame for the last 4 27.5 bikes though admittedly the last 26 was £100. 2x FS were £250 and the other was mint, invisiframed (even the invisiframe wasn’t scratched) and Hope headset & BB and I paid £350. Bit of a waste but it was my Birthday…

The last 27.5/27.5+ HT I bought was brand new and £285.

I can’t see the point compromising on a old geo 26″ bike that will cost way more once you kit it out and be higher than the 27.5 equivalent? If you have a frame that’s another matter but I wouldn’t want to go and actively buy one to save the cost of what is basically a full fork service?

One of the kids best mates (11) is really small (nowhere near 5′) and tried my kids 27.5 with his old 26″ wheels and he also got on absolutely fine and bought a small 27.5 in June (or thereabouts) from his 24 and is absolutely flying on it with 140mm cranks.

Premier Icon squealer
    Free Member

My 11 year old has been riding my old original gen 1 (2009) size small ibis mojo For 18 months now. Old school measurements were great, short reach in particular but it’s now showing it’s age.

I’ve just bought him a used Size small 2019 Scott genius 920 which he’ll be getting for Xmas. Again it seems a great bike for kids, old school short reach (circa 400mm) plus a low standover this time as well. Carbon frame, fox 34, xo1 gearing and dropper for a bargain price because it’s not particularly fashionable.

He’s just over 5’ now for reference.

Premier Icon HantsNightRider

My 13yr old 5ft 3 has been riding my med Dartmoor Primal with 27×2.6 tyres, but it’s too long for him. He’s about to try my 2015 Med RM Instinct as it’s shorter, but less stand over. Been looking for a suitable frame for him but there isn’t much out available. Lots of smalls still have long reach. Any ideas on suitable small frames which are available?

Premier Icon bubs

I can’t see the point compromising on a old geo 26″ bike that will cost way more once you kit it out and be higher than the 27.5 equivalent? If you have a frame that’s another matter but I wouldn’t want to go and actively buy one to save the cost of what is basically a full fork service?

It only really makes senses if you have a decent fork and wheelset. I just plug these in to a c£100 frame each time he grows out of the last … Fox forks, Hope wheels, XT 1×10 gearing and Magura brakes. The geometry seems to work well for him if you pick the right kinds of frame. LLS is not the best for pumptrack duties etc.

Premier Icon johnski15
    Free Member

Some brilliant suggestions…. Many thanks.

@vicksplace
    Don’t have kids but plus 1 to the Liv bikes. Decent small bikes I really like mine can often be had cheap too.

Definitely like the Liv’s – they are just about right for his height and 6 stone (38/39kg) max weight.

HantsNightRider
    My 13yr old 5ft 3 has been riding my med Dartmoor Primal with 27×2.6 tyres, but it’s too long for him. He’s about to try my 2015 Med RM Instinct as it’s shorter, but less stand over. Been looking for a suitable frame for him but there isn’t much out available. Lots of smalls still have long reach. Any ideas on suitable small frames which are available?

I went to view a new Ragley Mmmbop in a small – 15″ frame – but massive reach – much longer than my Mega – so that was binned.

I’m leaning towards the Norco Fluid HT / FS and Liv FS bike now, as the range of sizes of these are excellent – incorporating the XS, which should suit the skinny lad!

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

It only really makes senses if you have a decent fork and wheelset.

That’s what I thought… though no reason not to put the 26″ wheelset on a 27.5 frame with a 27.5 fork so long as the BB isn’t too low.

I just plug these in to a c£100 frame each time he grows out of the last … Fox forks, Hope wheels, XT 1×10 gearing and Magura brakes. The geometry seems to work well for him if you pick the right kinds of frame. LLS is not the best for pumptrack duties etc.

Yep bought a seperate pump track frame for £100 and ended up spending £90 on the forks so it cost me £200 in total. I used his front 26″ and to save £15 to convert the rear I used an old rear I had.

His main bike since he was 9 has a 411 reach and after he’d got used to moving from his 24″ (2-3 rides) has not been a problem. He has to shift his weight back further and I’ve been keeping him on a Pike so the front doesn’t get heavier but otherwise he just adjusted to the LLS.

He adjusted technique on a few of his favourite supertwisty and steep DH trails where the wheelbase stopped him taking inside lines but otherwise he just seems to have taken all the advantages of newer geo.

His mate who is probably the same size he was when he got it has done the same on his new Saracen … and both of them made real quantum leaps forwards in 2-3 rides.

Premier Icon tomaso

15 inch Giant Arete with Reba fork and 11 speed SLX bought off ebay for £130. Its a lovely bike.

Eldest is adult sized 15 year old and has a medium Whyte 603 built up from frame, the parts bin, Ebay and mates spares. I’ve actually ridden this bike and its loads better than shite I had in the 90s that was top end!

Premier Icon johnski15
    Free Member

tomaso
    15 inch Giant Arete with Reba fork and 11 speed SLX bought off ebay for £130. Its a lovely bike.

Eldest is adult sized 15 year old and has a medium Whyte 603 built up from frame, the parts bin, Ebay and mates spares. I’ve actually ridden this bike and its loads better than shite I had in the 90s that was top end!

I’ve done similar with my last two – 24″ Stans Crest’s on an old Carerra Blast with Carbon Forks – 9kg bike, then 26″ Stans Crest’s on an Old Voodoo Nzumbi (9.5kg) with various high end bits on both – Really like Whyte Bikes

Premier Icon molgrips

We splurged on a Whyte 603. I wish it were my size as it looks absolutely mint to ride.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Mine turned 13 a couple of weeks back, is 5’8″ and grows faster than rhubarb.

He’s had an “Odds n Sods” Inbred over the summer that cost about £100 in total.

He’s pretty much outgrown that too now but it has been a revelation for him having his first proper adult sized bike. He’s got a Scott Scale 29er lined up for next year which was another second hand buy off a mate looking to downsize his fleet.

At this stage in his life I would spend as little as possible as it won’t last long.

However, he’s going to end up a lot taller than me, so in 18 months the Scott is mine! Downside is that I’ll have to get him something bigger.

Premier Icon gnusmas

12 year old is riding an XS giant trance here. Although I was thrown a curve ball the other day when he said he would prefer a hardtail. So now going to be looking for a small hardtail frame.

Premier Icon ads678

My lad has a small giant trance bought off here.

I thought it was a trance in xs, but turned out it’s actually a small trance x. Works great though and was a bargain. Will be passed on to the daughter and maybe even kept for the wife after though.

Premier Icon oldbloke
    Free Member

I think one of my lads is on the pearlescent turquoise Spesh frame Tracey mentioned upthread. Built it up from bits found here, gumtree, my big bucket of bits etc. He’s about to grow out of it and I’ll just swap parts around. His brother was on an orange Sub 5 built from bits and we just replace as wear out / grow out. We find that’s the best way to avoid spending silly money but still keep them using decent kit which encourages them to get out and ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.