Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 12 speed vs 11 speed on the MTB
  • cp

Mulling over a new drivetrain on the mtb, moving from 10 speed. I want a wider range than my current 11-36 and I don’t like the gapping you get between higher ratio cogs on the wider range 10 speed cassettes. Also dissapointed with shifting peformance when using a 40 or 42t expander cog.

I’d like to go “native” wide range with 11-46 11 speed or 11-50 12 speed.

Sooo, out of the following combinations which would you choose and why. They are within 20 quid of each other overall. I’m after feedback essentially between shimano 11 speed and 12 speed systems.

SLX 12 speed shifter, shimano deore 12 speed chain, SRAM1230 12 speed 11-50 cassette, deore M6100 rear mech.

OR

XT 11 speed shifter, KMC 11 speed chain, Shimano SLX M7000 11-46 cassette, deore M5100 rear mech.

Ta 🙂

weeksy

There’s not that much in it in terms of anything really, other than arguably the 46-50 difference.

Some say 12sp are more fussy to setup, but IMO there’s either setup right or wrong, whether it’s 11sp or 12sp, right is right and anything else isn’t…. Once setup correctly, it’ll work.

nickc

SLX12 speed.

I’m guessing you’ve chosen an NX cassette for HG spline compatibility? This way you get a bang up to date 12 speed, and if you need to change your rear wheel hub (or complete wheel) you can chose between the SRAM hub or go Shimano micro spline. Plus depending on where you ride, the 50T is like cheating…

cp

I’m guessing you’ve chosen an NX cassette for HG spline compatibility?

yep.

Thanks for the feedback, I’m inclined for 12 speed.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I had a complete 12 speed SLX group on a bike and the shift was excellent. Slightly better than the 11 speed XT group I had.

I felt the the 11 speed XT wasn’t a “proper” 1x groupset but just a half hearted attempt.

I think the jockey wheel size has grown so perhaps that helps.

Having said that I am also very pleased with my new full NX groupset too. Particularly at £210.

Mugboo

I have xt 12spd but while I love the easier gearing I have a problem with the chain dropping off the top jockey wheel. It happened regularly on the XT mech till it blew up, it also happens on the SLX I replaced it with.
    I did let the chain wear out without spotting it so I am running it till it dies, is the worn chain the reason?

dc1988

It might get be worth trying a proper 11-46 10 speed cassette, they work better than expander cogs and I think the gaps aren’t too noticeable as the 46 is the only big jump (I just think of it as a bail out gear).

singlespeedstu

There’s a pretty big gap from 2nd to 1st on the SLX/XT 11 speed cassettes.
    If going 11 speed look at a SunRace 11-46 or 11-50. Much better spread of gears.

cp

There’s a pretty big gap from 2nd to 1st on the SLX/XT 11 speed cassettes.

Yeah I don’t mind it at that end. It’s the bigger jumps you get at the high end on 10 speed bodges and 11 speed sunrace I don’t like.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got XTR (10-51) 12 speed on one bike, not even had to adjust cable tension in nearly 3 years of ownership, bloody brilliant, chain wear is immense IMHO, 1800k before I had to change it.

I’ve got X01 / GX Eagle (10-50) 12 speed on another, again it’s been flawless since I’ve owned it.

My eldest has GX 11 speed on his bike with 11-42 cassette and that too is bang on.

Basically whatever you choose, set it up right and keep the chain, cassette, jockey wheels and ring clean and lubed correctly, I use Squirt on everything and they’re all brilliant.

singlespeedstu

SunRace ratios
    11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-40-46
    SLX ratios
    11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-37-46

Much more even spread on the SunRace.

I’ve got a few 11 speed SunRace setups and the cassettes also seem to last longer than the XT’s they replaced.
    I’ve also got a 12 speed XT setup but that’s not been abused enough to really judge it yet.
    It’s been trouble free so far though.

devash
    Free Member

I felt the the 11 speed XT wasn’t a “proper” 1x groupset but just a half hearted attempt.

Pretty much this. SRAM definitely won the 11 speed game but I personally think 11 speed was just a quick 15 minute toilet stop at a grotty service station on the way to 12 speed, which IMO works perfectly (SRAM or Shimano).

cp

SunRace ratios
    11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-40-46
    SLX ratios
    11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-37-46

Indeed, it’s the 15-18-21 I want to avoid, I like 13-15-17-19-21

alan1977
    Free Member

my hard tail runs 11 speed XT shifter and mech and 11-46 or 11-50 cassette depending on the wheelset/tyres I have
    my FS has SRAM GX 12 speed(well i’ve binned the pony mech off for a Deore)
    SRAM just makes clanks and bangs.. I have little faith… the Shimano stuff just smoothly changes gear… I don’t miss the extra gear.. its not like I’m looking for the perfect cadence.. I’m climbing up a hill then dumping a load of gears again.
    My lad has 10 speed Deore 11-46 and this too is fantastic, and the cassette only weighs 400g which is lighter than my 11-46 XT cassette I believe. let alone my 11-50 Deore?or whatever cassette it is which weighs a metric ton

basically, i could care less about the gaps on my riding (I don’t even care on my road bike)
    but definitely don’t write off 11 speed IMHO

lardman
    Free Member

I know it’s neither of your ‘set-ups’ but i find the 11 speed bits i’m running are a great combination of price/durability and range.

Shimano 11 shifters and chain. I’m running SLX (best price)
    Sunrace 11-50t cassette (best price and range)
    12speed Shimano slx rear mech – for the extra range. (works fine on 11sp cassette)

seadog101

Full Sunrace 12 speed set up with 11-50, MX Mech, MZ Shifter, and a Sram GX chain. All working fine. I’d say that the shifter is a bit more basic than the similar level Shimano or Sram offerings, and doesn’t feel quite so snappy at a Shimano one. That is my only (slightly) negative thought.

I like the very even spread of ratios, and that I could use a standard HG fitting.

vmgscot

12 speed – but definitely stick with the Deore mech (with the steel cage).

Akers

I’ve found 11sp to be the sweet spot on my trail bike. Specifically XG-1150 (GX) 10-42 full steel cassette, with any combination of mech and shifter you prefer (I use a X01 shifter and XT(GS) mech).
    Combined with a 28th chainring, the ratios are only slightly longer than 10-50 Eagle with a 32t chainring, but with the 10 toot cog removed. While this may limit top speed when pedalling on road I’ve never missed it on the trails.
    The smaller spread on the cassette keeps the weight down and improves shifting to and from the lowest ratios, and the the smaller chainring improves clearance over logs and rocks. The full steel cassette also lasts an eternity, in comparison to those with larger aluminium sprockets.

danti

Why not save yourself a lot of money and hassle and stay 10 speed with Microshift Advent X which can run 11-48 on a Microshift cassette or 11-46 on a Sunrace cassette.
    Check out the reviews of it – have you seen any of it for sale used on here?

You hear so many stories of 12 speed rear mechs being very fussy on running properly and especially when hit by stones etc

colournoise

+1

Or if your proper ornery like me, go to the original Advent 9 speed system.

What I’d really like is a wide range 5 speed system…

reeksy

Pretty much this. SRAM definitely won the 11 speed game but I personally think 11 speed was just a quick 15 minute toilet stop at a grotty service station on the way

I don’t get this. What’s the problem? I’ve run 11 speed only for the last five years.

I run two 11-42 11 speed setups. One XT the other SRAM X1. Shimano is way nicer feel and gear changes. I’ve never seen the need to go to 12 speed and I like the ability to replace small cogs to get longer life from the cassettes.

tomparkin

Check out the reviews of it – have you seen any of it for sale used on here?

To be fair, I can think of at least two reasons for that…

I think coming from a 36t cassette either setup will feel twiddly enough in the easiest gear.

Personally I went from bodged Shimano 11s (XT shifter, Deore mech, SLX 11-42 cassette) to bodged Shimano 12s (SLX shifter and mech, Sunrace 11-50 cassette). The 12s is a bit of a pain in the neck: the mech has holes in the pivot joint so it gets wet and gums up and stops working, and I haven’t managed to get it to shift nicely AND reliably get into the 50T gear. The 11s Just Worked.

So my heart says 11s. But I went 12s this time because it was moar gears for about the same money, and I’d probably do the same again.

Humans are irrational.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.