Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 12 speed longevity
  • georgesdad

I bought a Canyon Spectral new in March this year. Full SLX 12 speed groupset. this last two weeks I’ve had to replace a badly stretched chain, the cassette and now I’ve discovered there’s so much play in the derailleur it’s also scrap.

Now for the first few weeks of riding the shifting was perfect and a noticeable improvement on my old 11 speed SLX. However for no obvious reason my shifting went to pot and I’ve never been able to get it 100% right. I’ll start the ride OK and then after a few miles it starts jumping between 11-12 or rubbing in the bigger cogs. I’ve got a derailleur hanger tool, I straightened that out more than once. I’ve followed Shimanos instructions to the letter and I swear I’ve cleaned, dried and lubed the chain after every single ride. I’ve racked up maybe 800 Miles on the drivetrain in fairly sandy or muddy conditions.

Is this normal, have I borked my drivetrain at some point and accelerated the wear, or is this normal and Shimano are now manufacturers of short-lived tat?

I should add that since I got back into MTB this is the first bike I’ve ever ridden ‘properly’. Last year was mostly towpaths and bike paths. This year has been mountains and the Peak District, so I’ve got nothing to compare with.

Saccades
    Free Member

800 miles in clag is pretty good, especially in the peaks, but I would be asking why you are using a hanger straightener so often?

That’s a problem with the frame and not the drivechain.

The peaks is hard on gear because of the grit but did you clout the mech at some point?

georgesdad

I should clear that up. I did need to straighten the hanger one time. The rest of the time I’ve been checking it just to make sure it’s not that. However Thursday last week I properly bounced the clutch cover off a large rock, and knocked the hanger out so far that it was out a whole gear. I’ve ordered a new hanger and an XT mech. I just can’t belive how quickly it’s all worn out. All the parallelogram linkage is completely loose. But as I say, I’ve not ridden this much and this hard my whole life, so it’s hard for me to make direct comparisons.

DickBarton

If you are skelping things like the mech (to make things bounce off) then it sounds more like your riding ability rather than poor quality parts…
    I posted this on another thread but I had to fix a 12-speed XT rear mech as the inner plate was mangled…at the top of the plate and middle section. It was all bent back straight by hand without too much effort. It doesn’t seem to be built to last like the older stuff was (but longevity doesn’t sell new parts in volume).

nickc

have I borked my drivetrain at some point

Oh, I know, lets check…

However Thursday last week I properly bounced the clutch cover off a large rock, and knocked the hanger out so far that it was out a whole gear.

Yes, yes you have..

I just can’t belive how quickly it’s all worn out

You haven’t, it’s knackered because you bounced it of a rock.

georgesdad

It is now, but bouncing it off a rock on Thursday didn’t wear all the bushings out in the rear mech, but thanks for pointing that out. I feel better now I know for sure that smashing it accidentally into a rock broke it 🙄

nickc

I was being a little factitious, but only a little…You’ve had to straighten the hanger, and then you whacked it into a rock…sounds like your riding style renders discussion about longevity somewhat moot anyway… SLX mechs are still built to a price point, if you’ve hit it hard enough to bend the hanger, and those bushings aren’t going to put up with much of that behaviour.

My money on the poor shifting is probably the hanger needing straightening, and you don’t say whether you changed cables at all. IME they make the most difference, if you’re riding somewhere gritty like the Peaks,

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Not tried 12spd SLX but the 11spd mechs weren’t impressive for me, in terms of bushing wear/play in no time. I went through two in short time, then reverted back to XT as they last much longer. Only a small sample size (2) but there you go.

As a general comment though, 12spd needs to be setup absolutely bob-on. Hanger alignment, chain length, b-screw/top jockey position, and cable condition are all critical if it’s going to work as designed. Much more finicky compared to 11/10/9…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘12 speed longevity’ is closed to new replies.