• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by hooja.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 12” kids bike
  • hooja
    Free Member

Well my second goblin is about to turn 3 and she is desperate for a pedal bike. Only problem is she’s quite wee!
    My boy went straight onto a used 14” cnoc from his balance bike but that will be too big for the little lady.
    Seems 12” bikes are mostly, kinda kids novelty bikes, or have those terrible coaster brakes.
    She is quite particular and wants a “proper mtb” or bmx.
    I also don’t want to spend silly money on such a little bike, she can wait for a 14 or 16” before I spend loads.
    Any suggestions on what to look for?
    Cheers all

jam-bo

Commencal ramones do a 12” version. Was a good step up from a balance bike.

edit. No they don’t, it was a 16” we had.

Rich_s

Cnoc 14 small is probably where you’re going to have to head – but it’d be better to supply her actual height, inside leg and competency on a balance bike as there will have been people gone down your route before.

It’s possible to drop a few cm off a cnoc or frog or early rider by using the balance bike saddle on the pedal bikes. Someone on here even took the saddle off and padded out the top tube IIRC.

If she’s ok on a balance bike and it’s vital that she gets pedals then even (shock horror) consider stabilisers as she wouldn’t need to touch the floor. We got #1 son riding that way and the switch back to balance was fine.

zerocool

My kids weren’t the biggest. They’ve just turned 3 and wanted pedal bikes a few months ago when they were about 2 1/2. We went for a CNOC Small for my daughter and swapped the saddle/seat post for the one from her Rothan balance bike (slightly shorten the seat boat so it sits flush with frame) as it worked out about 15-20mm lower for her. Her twin brother is a smidge taller so manages with a Frog 40.

Can’t remember their leg measurements but 2 weeks ago when we did the birthday height chart she was about 92cm tall.

The plan is to keep them in these until they can ride 20” bikes and skip 16”.

If you can pick them up secondhand you’ll make your money back when you sell them

5lab

Riprock has a coaster rear brake but my kid never had any issues with it. Large tyres are perfect for reducing trail buzz

Shackleton

My daughter is a bit of a titch. We bought an early rider 14″  belter and put some of the thin tyres from Islabikes on, dropped the standover by about an inch. She rode it like this until she was about 2.5, having first got used to it as a balance bike. Original tyres back on once she could stop and start ok. Probably still got the tyres buried somewhere if you want to go down that route.

hooja
    Free Member

Many thanks everyone… just trying to track one down to try her for size… no shops anywhere near have any stock

steve_b77
    Free Member

The frog 14″ ones are tiny and very good.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Had a Cube Cubie 120 12″ pedal bike that seemed well put together, though my 2.5 year old refused to use it for 6 months so we sold it on. Kids eh!

https://www.cube.eu/en/2022/bikes/kids/90-115-cm/cubie-120/cube-cubie-120-rt-cremewhitenrose/

often come up on FB or ebay etc

zbonty

https://blackmountain.bike/collections/epok-series/products/pinto

Actually a 14″ but quite small. Good seatpost design (low). Frame will ‘grow’ with the child. Lightweight, nice bit of kit. I got the Skog model and my son is going well on it

I rushed out and bought a pedal bike (from Go Outdoors) for when he turned 3 after balance bike stage. He just was’nt ready to pedal until nearly 4 years old. After a little spin round the local estate it just clicked. The following day he did 2.5miles each way to his grandmas!

stumpy01

My daughter is pretty small & we went through this struggle. I got her a Carrera Star at the start of lockdown from ebay, although that is a 14″ wheeled bike, rather than 12″.
    We tried a couple of 12″ bikes in a local bike shop just before lockdown & she couldn’t pedal them – the geometry was really odd to fit everything in and she just couldn’t turn the pedals.

The Star is similar to the Carrera Cosmos, but with a dropped top tube.

She’s moved onto a Ridgeback Dimension 16″ now, so I’d be happy to let the Carrera go for £30.
    We are near Peterborough if that’s any good to you?
    I’m happy to measure any dimensions you need – lowest seat height etc.
    Condition is generally good, although the grips are discoloured – I think the previous owner let them go mouldy & they never cleaned up completely. And the chain guard is cracked – someone dropped another bike on it when she was at nursery & broke it. It’s currently taped up. I keep meaning to go a better job on it, but never find the time.
    Anyway – on the whole it’s sound. Decent Tektro brakes with small levers, Kenda tyres and a similar weight to her friend’s Frog bike – might even be a bit lighter.
    Message me if interested.

loum
    Free Member

Can confirm the Halfords Carrera Star is 14 but has a dropped top tube so it’s standover height is smaller. Nice and light and decent value too
    Worked for ours at 3

Great offer above, i’d go for that

Shackleton

@hooja I’m in Dundee if you want to try the 14″ belter for size.

hooja
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone
    Cheers @stumpy01 and @shakleton but unfortunately I am down in Cornwall, so you are both an awfully long way away

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘12” kids bike’ is closed to new replies.